Bethesda Confirms Yet Another Fallout 4 Hoax

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Bethesda Confirms Yet Another Fallout 4 Hoax

Bethesda rubs hemorrhoid cream on one more Fallout 4 hoax.

These Fallout 4 hoaxes are really starting to pile up. None of them quite compare to that Survivor2299 debacle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130137-Fallout-4-Teaser-Site-Heats-Up-With-Nuclear-Winter], but they're getting old nonetheless. If the folks at Bethesda actually decide to announce Fallout 4, no one is going to believe them. Either way, another annoying hoax cropped up over the weekend, but Bethesda quickly decapitated the story.

Last week, several gamers received an email [ <a href=] that was allegedly sent from Bethesda. The message teased an announcement that would be made on "12.01.2014," the European formatting for January 12th. However, even though the email was addressed from [email protected], and the image used a Fallout-like font, Bethesda had nothing to do with the email.

"This is another fan hoax," personal Twitter account [https://twitter.com/YTChibitamichan/status/421291875501223937/photo/1]. "We don't announce or tease our games thru emails from our store," he said.

From now on, it would probably be best to assume that Bethesda isn't doing any kind of covert marketing for Fallout 4. Last month's leaked casting documents [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130460-Fallout-4-is-Real-and-Set-in-Boston-According-to-Leaked-Documents] are the most tangible pieces of evidence that that we've seen for the game's existence, and even those should be viewed with heavy skepticism.

Source: Twitter [http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/1ur5vy/fallout_4_announcement_email_from_bethesda/]

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Oh come on!

Enough is enough already, Bethesda should just announce the game instead of letting fans go through this false announcement cycle every other month.

Or maybe Bethesda is behind all the 'hoaxes'and is just calling them hoaxes to let it all go viral, only to finally reveal that they were behind everything after all. Just to cause a big hype.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Heheh,

Haemorrhoid cream,

Cause Butt-hurt.

I love that I am immune to this F4 nonsense though, being a Half Life fan has made me hardy to this kind of stuff.

I also admire the dedication of the people who make these sites, not only are they willing to invest time, but money also into trolling.

If only they put in this sort of dedication to doing something productive...

But asking the Internet to conduct all of their "Internet Fight" and "Trolling" energy into something productive is another one of those hopelessly naive ideals I cling to like the grumpy old man I am.

CAPTCHA: Where does the Queen of England live?

Well duh, Captcha!

NK, where else would she chill?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Longstreet said:
Oh come on!

Enough is enough already, Bethesda should just announce the game instead of letting fans go through this false announcement cycle every other month.

Or maybe Bethesda is behind all the 'hoaxes'and is just calling them hoaxes to let it all go viral, only to finally reveal that they were behind everything after all. Just to cause a big hype.
I've been thinking the same thing myself. A sneakier version of what the devs of Dante's inferno did with their product back in the day. They had some amusing stunts, which wound up actually being cooler than the game itself (albeit the game was not as bad as a lot of people made it out to be, at least in my opinion).

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
When are Beth gonna get the point that people are clearly desperate to know about Fallout 4 and just tell us something, they are really starting to take the piss now.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I'm just... So tired of this. This is why I hate the gaming community sometimes. There's no better way to phrase it other than...

This is why we can't have nice things.

Someone has to be funny, someone's 'doing the fans justice', someone's bored, whatever...

I just want it to stop, I don't want any other news tied to Bethesda except 'Fallout 4 Announced, Teaser Trailer on FO4.com' or something similar.

Stop talking about rumors or hoaxes because unless it's official, I really just don't give a fuck anymore... If we continue to treat this shit as 'newsworthy' we diminish the payoff of the actual announcement. I know it's the new year and we're DESPERATE for gaming news but how about a report on, oh I dunno, the fucking SimCity Offline Mode being announced? Oh wait no, we're still here talking about fucking fallout 4 bullshit rumors and hoaxes. I think it has been PROVEN that BethSoft has no desire to participate in viral marketing. So can we all kindly shut the fuck up about it already?!

I am just really fucking bitter about so called Fallout 4 'NEWS'.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Therumancer said:
Longstreet said:
Oh come on!

I've been thinking the same thing myself. A sneakier version of what the devs of Dante's inferno did with their product back in the day. They had some amusing stunts, which wound up actually being cooler than the game itself (albeit the game was not as bad as a lot of people made it out to be, at least in my opinion).
Dante's Inferno is definitely significantly more interesting and awesome than it's source material that's for sure.

OT: Even if they aren't behind these hoaxes they're still going to benefit off them regardless.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Man, people really want fallout!

I think the games are pretty average, I struggled to stay interested in 3 and I want to complete new Vegas but it's just so dull! Plus, you try to go north from the start and the game is just like "NO! YOU GO SOUTH!" if you watch the new Vegas zero punctuation Yahtzee makes the exact same comment.

It's like the only linear open world game! "it's an open world go anywhere, except north ... also west is a little pointless 'cos were so far west were on the edge of the map".

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Kyogissun said:
I know it's the new year and we're DESPERATE for gaming news but how about a report on, oh I dunno, the fucking SimCity Offline Mode being announced?
You mean like this?:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131260-SimCity-Goes-Offline-With-Official-Update

I wonder how long it will be before someone starts a Fallout 4 crypto-currency called Pipcoin as a fake announcement.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Nah, a fake currency would be NukaCaps or something suitably Fallout. To be honest though, it doesn't seem much effort was put into this particular hoax. I mean, I've seen more legitimate looking Nigerian Prince scams...

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
I can't say I'll be surprised if the hoaxes continue. Whether they stick to mythical Fallout continuances or dip into Bethesdas other properties, though Fallout is likely to be a favorite target. People aren't quite as frantic for a Dishonored sequel as they are another decent Fallout, Elder Scrolls has its MMO about to launch and I'm not sure anything else they own rates more than a vague blip on the general "Wouldn't it be cool if..."-o-meter anymore.

What is Bethesda actually working on at this point? Just ad copy for TESO? Because I know they aren't actually working on the game...that's ZeniMax Onlines third party debut clusterpiece.

Oh, I see. They're mainlining swag [http://store.bethsoft.com/]. I suppose that's something.

...I could probably get a lot of use out of that Imperial Hip Flask right about now.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I honestly don't get the greater community's thought processes, sometimes.

"Oh, hey! It's been a couple months without any sort of shit-stirring and tempestuous announcement, I might as well take matters into my own hands and troll the masses, HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE."

I mean, come on. How juvenile do you have to be? Fallout 4 will be out when it's out! Wait it out like sensible adults!

I also can't wrap my head around the weird logic anyone could apply that makes them think "If I put up this hoax, Bethsoft's gonna double-time on the game I'm really desperate to play!"

How naive do you have to be, if that's the case?

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Can't we just Alt-F4 all this F4 stuff already? I'm replaying New Vegas, and now I can fire up an ancient PC to play the originals.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
All of this fake announcement stuff is indeed geting old but i do love fallout ( 3 more so than new vegas ) no other game i have seen offers the mix of good setting and a huge world to explore, even though i have played through it multiple times i still find things that i have never seen before. that to me is what makes fallout great. i never played all the DLC for vegas i may give that a go. I just want more fallout adventuring don't steal my adventure bethsida or i will hollow just like siegmeyer.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
God damn it. I don't even care anymore. let's just pretend that New Vegas was the epic conclusion to the fallout lore. Bethesda is probably planing on going making fallout 4 in to a sort of half life 3 for RPGs.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
I wonder how long it will be before someone starts a Fallout 4 crypto-currency called Pipcoin as a fake announcement.
I would invest.

OT: Damn, these people are not letting up are they?

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I miss is the point of being excited about what day it comes out. It's just going to come out in a buggy state and it would be best to wait to play it after it is patched a few times or after the version with all dlc comes out. By the time all dlc comes out some really good mod should be out.

I expect of fallout 4 is to have good exploring, shit writing, and a very buggy release. In other words the Bethesda standard. There is no rush to get it; at least from my point of view.
I'm still wait for skyrim on the pc with all dlc to cost 10-15$ because I don't feel it's worth more than that.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
Well at least Bethesda is crushing these hoaxes straight away instead of leaving it to fester for months like the Survivor2299 was allowed to.