Bethesda Drops Fallout MMOG Appeal Against Interplay

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bethesda Drops Fallout MMOG Appeal Against Interplay

Interplay [http://www.bethsoft.com], clearing the way for work on "Project V13," AKA the Fallout MMOG, to continue.

Bethesda denied [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94655-Bethesda-Sues-Interplay-Over-Fallout-MMO] a preliminary injunction filed by Bethesda which would have kept Interplay from continuing to work on it.

But now it looks like all is well and everybody is friends again, or at least not lobbing acrimonious legal bombs at one another across a courtroom. here [http://www.duckandcover.cx/archives.php?topstory=92]), has quoted an Interplay investor by the name of "Frymuchan" as saying Bethesda has dropped its appeal of the injunction and made some sort of deal with the studio.

"Bethesda dropped their appeal of the lawsuit with Interplay and a secret deal was struck (maybe they will release the terms of the deal soon, probably so)," he said. "Anyways, this is awesome news for Interplay stock. The appeal by Bethesda was dropped yesterday. I'm assuming part of the deal was that Interplay drop their counter-suit against Bethesda."

Text requesting the dismissal of the appeal from Bethesda's law firm Steptoe & Johnson LLP is also posted, as is the court's order of dismissal.

What happens next depends entirely on the alleged deal that's been struck between the two companies. Has Bethesda extended or modified the terms of the license, or bought back the license with a few dump trucks full of money? If a new deal has been made, we'll no doubt hear about it soon enough from both companies; if not, then we'll just as certainly see them back in the courtroom soon enough.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Everyone...

*raises glass*

A toast for Interplay! Justice has prevailed!

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Yay? I guess? I stopped caring and figured either one could do approximately the same job. Only Interplay would probably have the worse of it and I don't think any of them could make it a true testament to the original Fallout.

Hubilub said:
Everyone...

*raises glass*

A toast for Interplay! Justice has prevailed!
I'll do that when they apologize to the defunct Black Isle Studios.

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
I couldn't care less about a Fallout MMO (or any MMO for that matter). At least now Bethesda won't be bothered to even attempt such a ridiculous idea and continue work for a real genre.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
Eh, I don't enjoy MMOs so I never really cared. As long as Bethesda owns the Fallout license after all this rot I won't care. If Interplay does, (which I will remind many of you, they did sell Fallout to Bethesda fair and square,) then I assume we won't see another Fallout game until Bethesda decides to sell the franchise to some other gaming company when their catalog of licensed gaming fails them.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Text requesting the dismissal of the appeal from Bethesda's law firm Steptoe & Johnson LLP is also posted, as is the court's order of dismissal.
I can't help but imagine Bethesdas legal team being Steptoe and Son now.

As long as a Fallout MMO gets made by someone, we still win. So hopefully they will sort themselves out and get down to developing rather than starting up another legal hissy fit.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Horrid.
That probably means there will be a Fallout MMO... way to kill the series.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I don't like Bethesda anyway, all of their games are never good on their own merits, they need to be improved by the community before anyone can truly appreciate them.

Hopeless Bastard said:
But, of course, 90% of the people who hated everything about oblivion have been gushing over oblivion with guns for the last two years, so I guess adding some dirt and a few more firearms to wow is all most people need to justify liking wow.
Could have something to do with the original franchise, too.
The "not Bethesda" era of Fallout history.

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
I don't like Bethesda anyway, all of their games are never good on their own merits, they need to be improved by the community before anyone can truly appreciate them.
That's a joke, right? I've put more than 1000 combined hours into Bethesda's games on the consoles (and I'm sure I am far from the only one). Their games are some of the best action RPGs ever made. To be honest, if it wasn't for Bethesda and Bioware, I wouldn't even bother with RPGs. Speak for yourself if you can't enjoy a game without mods, but don't say a fantastic developer's games are not good without amateurs' input.