Bethesda Explains Missing Multiplayer in Wolfenstein: New Order

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bethesda Explains Missing Multiplayer in Wolfenstein: New Order

Pete Hines says Machine Games isn't interested in making a multiplayer mode for Wolfenstein: The New Order, and that's fine with Bethesda.

It was kind of surprising to discover last month that the upcoming Wolfenstein: The New Order will be a single-player-only affair. Multiplayer action is traditionally a big part of shooters, after all, and shooters based on id Software franchises? It's practically mandatory. Yet according to Hines, Bethesda's vice president of PR and marketing, multiplayer isn't in Machine Games' "thought process," and that's apparently a-okay.

"We're not going to force it down their throats and say, 'Well, the last games did, so you have to do it.' These guys do cool stuff," he told Eurogamer. "If you look at The Chronicles of Riddick or you look at The Darkness, those games have a creative element to them that is similar to the things they're doing in Wolfenstein and that's what attracted us to them, and that's what attracted us to their vision of Wolfenstein. And we said, 'Okay, run with that.'"

Hines also put the kibosh on the idea of bringing in another team to take on the task. "We're not going to say, 'Oh, we'll find somebody else to do the multiplayer'," he said. "Wolfenstein: New Order is [single-player]. End of discussion."

That's a pleasantly refreshing attitude, is it not? I dig shooting my fellow humans in the face as much as the next guy and I sunk a lot of hours into Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer, but not every game needs an online component. Maybe it's a natural progression, driven by the proliferation of multiplayer-only games that are hitting the market with increased frequency; whatever the reason, if it means a better and more satisfying single-player experience in those games that choose to focus on it, then I'll be happier for it.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-20-bethesdas-pete-hines-on-prey-2-the-decline-of-triple-a-and-whats-next-for-the-publisher]

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I'm actually OK with this. Usually, it leads to a better, more focused experience and gameplay in the single player. The Wolfenstein on 360 is OK, but the multiplayer is nothing mind-blowing. I'd rather the single player be amazing than have multiplayer shoved down my throat.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
I like it. Singleplayer so often feels like an afterthought, and I'm not a huge fan of a lot of multiplayer. I never finished the last Call of Duty and I long since stopped caring about the multiplayer, so it should be nice to see a game where singleplayer is the focus.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm OK with this. Not every game needs a multiplayer. There are a lot of multiplayer games that I can play instead. It's not like I can play every multiplayer game anyway. And now I know that single player development won't suffer because the resources are being used to make a multiplayer mode. Sweet.

I think we're gonna see more of this in the future as game developers wise up and realize that they need to manage their resources better instead of just going through a checklist of what a game should have. Because that's just wrong.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Good, they can focus on making the singleplayer better. Not every game needs to conform to some stupid checklist where it has to have multiplayer to sell, games like Bioshock have shown that.

Nobody would be playing it anyway so what's the point in wasting time and resources?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
This an unusual choice. I don't know if it's for the better, but I have much respect for them for making this decision. I wasn't interested in this game up until now, but this makes me think that these guys have a vision and don't intend to make just another brown shooter. I'm looking forward for more information about the game.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I am so happy to hear about this. Not every game needs a multi-player element added on to it. Look how well Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite did with no multi-player. FPS games do not require it and I think it is about time I go and pre-order this now as its appeal just grew for me.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Wait, this is the same team that did the Riddick games?

Wolfenstein confirmed for GOTY.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Good on you Bethesda and Machine. Can't say I was expecting this but I love it. I was never worried about them 'dying out' or anything that crazy, but is it just me or do dedicated single-player games seem to be making a bit of a comeback?

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
Good for Bethesda and Machine Games. Not every game needs a multiplayer mode; I mean, look at Spec Ops: The Line. It's story got heavy praise, but the addition of the half-baked multiplayer to it dragged the games review scores down.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Eeeh, some of my most fond multiplayer memories were playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein but that was during a time when there weren't any dedicated multiplayer games like Team Fortress II and such.

I think this is a good decision and should result in a better single player experience.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Translation: 'We didn't force them to tack on a multiplayer mode that would have had dead servers within a week'Props to Bethesda for this, hope more publishers follow their lead.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Bravo a game dev that puts what the game needs over trying to force in half assed MP. I like multiplayer but only if it adds something to the game, not if it's a tacked on extra.

Captcha - patience, child - I'm not your child o_O

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Good stuff. Now we just have to hope that the Single Player is up to scratch. I don't have too many worries, but still.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
so i'll finally have the goooood SP shooter i long for :D

i think it's a good choice, given all the MP shooters out there; i guess most people have found the shooter of their choice, and as they're basically quite same-ish there's absolutely no reason to staple a MP mode onto a game that surely has more than enough potential to stand on its SP alone (i cetainly didn't play RTCW for its MP)
also, no devs required for MP development/design/whatnot = more devs for SP = even better new Wolfenstein :p

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
When I saw this I laughed. It had nothing to do with the game itself that gave me mirth. The fact of the matter is I found this announcement after reading the TitanFall news. Seems they're doing the exact opposite that Wolfenstein is doing. Rather than focus on single player and multiplayer, Titan Fall is dropping SP. And then I see that Wolfie is putting some effort into theirs. I actually played the first Wolfenstein and was pleasantly surprised. Despite the need to upgrade weapons, it wasn't a bad game. (Yathzee did a vid about it.)I don't recall if it had multiplayer, but I know I didn't play it. Hope this next game will show those other developers that MP isn't the only way to go. Hell games like BioShock have proved that.