Bethesda Explains Missing Multiplayer in Wolfenstein: New Order

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I'm surprised they were allowed to do this.

That said, expectations are high now and i expect a bloody awesome game.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
We have plenty of MP games already. It's nice to see a studio focusing on SP only, every now and then.

Actually, most 'recent' SP shooters have all been either decent or amazing. Can't say the same thing for the MP counterparts.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Good

Yes I know MP adds more lifetime to some games but we have seen enough games where an MP is just botched up to such a point that. I mean seriously who wants to play it.

So if more money and time goes to improving the single player then just adding a less then half decent multi player then that is fine.

Yes I know .. wolfenstein could have a decent multiplayer. How many resources in money, time and people would that cost?

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Companies seemingly learning their lesson? That is quite amazing news.

Reminds me of what one of my favorite authors said in an interview recently: Art is not a democratic process.

He then made a humorous observation about captain Ahab and how the appeal of Moby Dick would be bigger if he was more like a cruiseship captain, which I can't properly reproduce. So I wont try. Still though. I like this news. ^^

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Wish I played Wolfenstien games so I could support this line of thinking. Good on you Bethesda. Superfluous multiplayer just drains valuable resources on development and not all of us like multiplayer and/or lack a stable internet connection.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
THANK YOU. Finally, someone with the brain stem necessary to realise that noone likes tacked-on multiplayer.

Bethesda's been doing pretty damn good lately, haven't they?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Dr. McD said:
Arawn said:
Despite the need to upgrade weapons, it wasn't a bad game.
Clearly you didn't play the first Wolfenstein game, but the 2012 Wolfenstein that isn't actually a reboot but a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
Ah pardon me, I should have said "last". I did play the block riddled original and the various games rose after it's smashing popularity. Not that it matters since I don't even think that one had a multiplayer mode. I had a hard enough time wit the normal game. Multiplayer at that time/age would have eaten me alive and used the bones to make a frame for the picture of my mutilated corpse. I barely hold a 1:3 ratio on such online playing today.

Vylox

May 3, 2013
Excellent, they decided to focus on the game, and give players what a game should be. An immersive experience instead of forcing multi player down throats.

Bravo.

Especially considering a huge complaint from gamers is the forced multi player on what should otherwise be a single player game.

AwesomeDave

Feb 10, 2011
It only makes sense... when most games were SP only, the ones with MP were the big deal... now that every game seems to have to have a MP component, hopefully putting all resources into a SP game will be a refreshing change.