Bethesda Forums Possibly Breached Again

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bethesda Forums Possibly Breached Again

Somebody may have broken into the Bethesda Softworks forums again, and that means mandatory password changes for everyone!

If you've tried to log onto the Bethesda forums any time since Friday, you probably noticed that your password didn't work. That's because the forums may have suffered another security breach and the company reset all user passwords as a result, "in the event that any encrypted forum user passwords were compromised."

Instructions for resetting passwords are included with the announcement [http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1220327-forum-breach/] of the possible break-in, but it basically amounts to hitting the standard "forgot my password" link and following the steps. If you've been a member of the forums since way back when and the email address you registered with is dead and gone, you can create a new account and then PM the Gstaff user to have the email on your original account changed. Bethesda naturally recommends that you don't change your forum password back to whatever it was before all this started.

There's no word on what may or may not have happened to the Bethsoft forums, but if there was a breach it wouldn't be the first one suffered by the company in recent months. In June, Bethesda was one of many victims of the Lulzsec rampage, although in that instance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111000-Lulzsec-Hacks-Bethesda] the company simply recommended that users change their own passwords rather than forcing an across-the-board change for everyone.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Alas, such a thing did indeed happen. It is unfortunately, that such a thing constantly keeps occuring. At least they tried to wait two months this time, unless it was in complaint to Lonesome Road being delayed. I wonder, did the supposed lulsec attack happen after Old World Blues ended up delayed

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
Sucal said:
Alas, such a thing did indeed happen. It is unfortunately, that such a thing constantly keeps occuring. At least they tried to wait two months this time, unless it was in complaint to Lonesome Road being delayed. I wonder, did the supposed lulsec attack happen after Old World Blues ended up delayed
Well, Lonesome Road got pushed back. Maybe that's why it happened this time...

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
MadCapMunchkin said:
Sucal said:
I just said that

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Well that sucks, I wonder what's with the recent breaches we've been seeing. I don't remember ever seeing this many before

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
honestly, a developer studio that can't release a single game without 1000 game-breaking bugs. let them sink, I made a mistake buying fallout 3, after all those years every 30-40 minutes the game crashes and there's tons of bugs. By the way they want You people to fork extra cash for skyrim, hell even for stupid new vegas with rolling heads I hear.

good luck with that crapsoft XD

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
Sucal said:
MadCapMunchkin said:
Sucal said:
I just said that
So you did. I apologize. One of my "late night, not paying attention posts".