Bethesda has Three New Games in the Works, Two of Which are Apparently Huge

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Bethesda has Three New Games in the Works, Two of Which are Apparently Huge

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1383/1383537.jpgBethesda's Todd Howard says that the company is working on two huge games and a mobile title.

Bethesda is one of those companies that everyone keeps an eye on, whether you like their games or not. Since the final Fallout 4 DLC has been released, and Skyrim: Special Edition is already complete, people have naturally been wondering what the company is up to now. Well, Bethesda's Todd Howard says that Bethesda is working on three games, two of which are bigger than any games it has made.

In an interview with Glixel [http://www.glixel.com/news/bethesdas-todd-howard-hints-at-3-new-games-w467778], Howard said that, "We've got a good number of projects on the go. We're bigger now and we do want to be putting out more stuff. We have two larger projects that are more classically the scale of what we do, but even bigger."

Howard wouldn't reveal what the projects were, saying simply, "I can't talk a lot about them, but I can say that they're bigger than anything we've ever done. They're a bit different, but definitely in the wheelhouse that people are used to from us." He also went to reveal that the studio is also working on a new mobile game, but wouldn't offer any details about that one either.

So what could those two huge games be? Well, we know that there are no plans to make any more told in July of last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169219-Bethesda-Says-No-More-Remasters-in-the-Elder-Scrolls-Series] that The Elder Scrolls VI wasn't in the works just yet, so honestly, your guess is as good mine. Got an idea (or even a hope) about what those two games might be? Tell us what you think in the forums!

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
It's probably just Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 5. Just because they say that they're not in the works, doesn't mean that they aren't.

Bookmarking for when they're revealed.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
SlumlordThanatos said:
It's probably just Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 5. Just because they say that they're not in the works, doesn't mean that they aren't.

Bookmarking for when they're revealed.
I was guessing one is probably TES VI as well. It was damn near a year ago where they soft-announced it ("it's coming but we're not working on it yet"). They could have been lying then, or have started it up sometime between then and now.

If it is indeed a completely new IP, then my guess is - keeping things "different but in the wheelhouse" - some sort of Fallout/TES type game based in a sci-fi universe...most likely in outer space, considering the claim of "bigger than anything we've done."

Who knows? Maybe they're working on a good version of No Man's Sky. :^)

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
To me, it seems the point of redoing Skyrim was to get the engine on the Modern systems so they'll know what they can do. No sense in making the game and finding out later that it can't work out as planned due to an unforeseen limitation. One game is Elder Scrolls related, and there is no doubt another game in the Fallout Series set. Not Fallout 5, but something like New Vegas was to Fallout 3. An interim title that should reuse a lot of assets sounds reasonable.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
As long as Elder Scrolls 6 is set in Black Marsh or Elsweyr. I've really had enough of Human and Elf centric locations, let's go somewhere weird.

Although if we had to go to Elf Land again they could do a lot worse than Valenwood.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Hm...wild guess? Bethesda own id Software now, and with Doom 2016 being a massive hit, my money is on one of those projects being a sequel to it (as the ending of the game hinted). A new Wolfenstein is a possibility too. But here's a question: when Bethesda bought id, did they get the rights to all the classic id properties? Because if so...I want Quake. The original Quake, where Dimensional Shamblers will fuck you up and Shub-Niggurath is the final boss.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
and I guarantee they will be huge, empty worlds with no interesting characters. Despite being so empty and boring, they will be so riddled with bugs it will make the game basically unplayable without mods. But when these new games come out, people will praise them for how awesome they are, and even count the bugs as a plus because "they give the games personality".

Well, at least the modding community will get a lot of practice.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I heard a rumor that a New Vegas 2 is in the works. I'd be happy but don't see the point. At long as they don't do the settlement thing from 4.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
"Different, but same wheelhouse".

I still have an itch for a more modern Skyrim-esque game. Fallout yes, but post apocalyptic and ugly. I want some free roaming, quest-based RPG in a city.
Like Homefront Revolution but less boring.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Just release TES VI already dammit! And more vote for it being in Black Marsh, Summerset Isle or Elsweyr. Anywhere weird not just another LOTR rip-off!

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
medv4380 said:
To me, it seems the point of redoing Skyrim was to get the engine on the Modern systems so they'll know what they can do. No sense in making the game and finding out later that it can't work out as planned due to an unforeseen limitation.
No, not really. Fallout 4 was creation Engine ".5". All they did was ported over the graphical features including the 64-bit only feature.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
id say elder scrolls, some sort of fallout shelter mobile game and my guess would be a new wolfenstein game

that said i want fallout 5

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
TES6 Valenwood / Elsweyr then followed by TES7 Argonia (Blackmarsh / Morrowind). If not TES could they please be T or M rated Games that have Actual Animalized Characters like TES?

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
It's probably just Elder Scrolls VI and Fallout 5.
If those are anything like Fallout 4, then it's not really worth waiting.

mad825 said:
Fallout 4 was creation Engine ".5".
Creation Engine is Gamebryo with shinier graphics filters. They changed the name just so that having the Fallout mod tools being called GECK made sense.

It is still gamebryo and it's still outdated garbage.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Cold Shiny said:
and I guarantee they will be huge, empty worlds with no interesting characters.
The Elder Scrolls games have never really been about the side characters so much as the player. Player 1. Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo2iIwYbFO8

Cold Shiny said:
they will be so riddled with bugs it will make the game basically unplayable without mods.
I played Skyrim almost at launch on my 360. Was pretty much fine. In fact it was even more stable than Morrowind now I think about it.

Cold Shiny said:
Well, at least the modding community will get a lot of practice.

Yeah. Mods that are based completely off the engine, systems, and assets and using the tools that Bethesda made.

Have you even played Skyrim or Morrowind?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Naqel said:
Creation Engine is Gamebryo with shinier graphics filters....It is still gamebryo and it's still outdated garbage.
Yes because it's totally like they bother don't to upgrade/modify the game engine every time they make a Sandbox RPG. Bethesda has been programming 64-bit games since Daggerfall and Godrays? They've been around since Morrowind it's that they the rest of these normies cannot see it.

What these stupid people don't realise that no programming since the 1950s is the result of iterative and incremental development.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
And all will be buggy as fuck, and overpraised like hell. Per usual Bethesda tradition.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Poetic Nova said:
And all will be buggy as fuck, and overpraised like hell. Per usual Bethesda tradition.
The non-English speaking janitors, Jose and Pedro, can only do so much as Bethesda's Quality Assurance team.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
008Zulu said:
Poetic Nova said:
The non-English speaking janitors, Jose and Pedro, can only do so much as Bethesda's Quality Assurance team.
And that's assuming they have a Quality Assurance team. Rumors go that the whole QA floor is full of cobwebs, never seeing use.