Bethesda Holds Fallout 3 "Create a Perk" Contest

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bethesda Holds Fallout 3 "Create a Perk" Contest

To mark the 10th anniversary of "Bloody Mess." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Isle_Studios]

"We bounced around a lot of ideas on how we could best honor Fallout and its 10th Anniversary/Birthday," wrote Pete Hines, Vice President of Public Relations and Marketing at Bethesda [http://www.bethsoft.com]. "We decided that we should do something we've never done before for any of our games (that I'm aware of anyway): Give fans a chance to create something we'll use in the game. We talked about it and we thought perhaps the best option was to do something where folks could be creative in a way that is very much Fallout, and not have it be overly complex. We also didn't want it to be trivial (eg., 'name this person, creature, thing')."

Stat requirements, levels and other details are unnecessary, according to the contest page, which says, "Just design a cool perk and we'll fit it in where it could go." One thing about the design that is important, however, is the accompanying Vault Boy [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_Boy]image; Bethesda has supplied a number of generic icons for those lacking a visually artistic bent (which won't affect the chances of winning), but also invites entrants to "upload a drawing, sketch, photo or creation of your own design. Send in a photo of yourself in the appropriate pose, sketch it on a napkin and scan it in... whatever you want."

The winning perk will be included in Bethesda's upcoming "Create a Perk" [http://fallout.bethsoft.com/] website.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
I fail to see how any good can come of this. We barely understand the design as a whole; it's going to be a shot in the dark to find a perk that's both 1) interesting enough to get noticed and 2) useful enough without imbalancing the whole mess.

Inviting the public to contribute to a game's design always sounds like the developer tacitly admitting to not knowing what the hell they're doing.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
Eatbrainz said:
How about a perk that makes you shoot lighting and knives from your EYES.
Wow.

A TWO YEAR Necro.

That... that isn't cool, man.
Two years for a very, very pointless post. Still it could be worse. It could be a spambot that tends to necro threads with words like "cod6" in them anywhere. At least this idiot is just the regular kind.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
so what was the perk that was fan made in game did anybody bother to find out?

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:
Eatbrainz said:
Wow.

A TWO YEAR Necro.

Wait, this is two years old?

[HEADING=1]DAMN IT[/HEADING]

And I was thinking about what perks I could do...

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Ciarang said:
Fat Man Spoon said:
Eatbrainz said:
Wow.

A TWO YEAR Necro.

You... You did notice that Fallout 3 was released over a year ago right?

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
Octorok said:
Ciarang said:
Fat Man Spoon said:
Eatbrainz said:
Wow.

A TWO YEAR Necro.

You... You did notice that Fallout 3 was released over a year ago right?
Yes, I was wondering about that... but I thought they would've released an update containing it.

Anyways, shouldn't really be posting in this anymore...

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Cajt said:
Spygon said:
so what was the perk that was fan made in game did anybody bother to find out?
Grim Reaper's Sprint.
wow that perk was really creative how did one person just come up with that.Really i thought that would have been one of the first on the perks drawing board.