Bethesda Isn't Working on Elder Scrolls 6 "At the Moment"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Bethesda Isn't Working on Elder Scrolls 6 "At the Moment"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1332/1332578.jpgBethesda will make another chapter in the Elder Scrolls series, just not yet.

During a stream at E3, Bethesda's Todd Howard was asked if Bethesda was working on the next entry in the venerable Elder Scrolls series. He replied, "Yes, of course we are," while stressing that the game was also a long way off. Over the weekend, Bethesda's Vice-President of PR and Marketing, Pete Hines, threw that statement into doubt.

In a post on Twitter [https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/746735640360919041] Saturday, Hines plainly stated, "We aren't working on TES6 at the moment." That may seem to be a direct contradiction of Howard's comments at E3, but it's worth noting that Howard himself did say that there were "two other large projects" in the works at Bethesda. He also said that we'd see both of those projects before another Elder Scrolls game, so it's completely reasonable to think that they haven't begun working on TES6 yet.

That would also line up with Hine's other statement on Twitter [https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/746804107357327360] over the weekend. When asked if he could estimate when TES6 would come out, he replied, "Nope. Years and years."

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
It would be pretty amazing if they finally made a new engine, with a new game franchise to debut it.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
People warned us before Fallout 4 came out that Bethesda didn't have the staff or infrastructure to make both at once.

Despite that, I held out hope the company set aside a handful of people to draw up lore and other stuff for TES6 that wouldn't necessarily require programming.

Shame, they should really expand because a 5 year interval for a new release is something I can take, but a decade is too much to bear for both series, and it looks like at this rate TES6 might not even be ready until the next console generation.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Oh, it's fine, we get it, rather you'd work on that dank Fallout 4 settlement content and package it as DLC...Whats this!? A glimpse of the future! I'm...I'm at E3 2017! It's Todd Howard, oh my god, he's ripped off all his clothes and is scurrying around the exhibit hall devouring children!

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
TheRundownRabbit said:
Oh, it's fine, we get it, rather you'd work on that dank Fallout 4 settlement content and package it as DLC...Whats this!? A glimpse of the future! I'm...I'm at E3 2017! It's Todd Howard, oh my god, he's ripped off all his clothes and is scurrying around the exhibit hall devouring children!
I don't think they have the whole Bethesda working on Fallout 4 DLC anymore, it's far more likely they have a smaller team with that and the rest moving up to their other two unnounced games. I don't mind not having The Elder Scrolls 6 for a while, I'd rather see what they can do with a new IP.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
He is "contradicting" his previous statement cause he doesn't want us to think its coming out next year. But as he said before, "Ofcourse we are". Bethesda is always working on TES, just to different degrees based on whatever else they are doing. They likely had a rough plot idea since they started on Skyrim. Previous games always have overly detailed hints at the next game or two that you don't realize until the game comes out. Redguard, a game that came out before Morrowind revealed without anyone knowing it, that TESIV was going to be Oblivion after all.

Plus he might be trying to Nintendo us. Nintendo kept saying they weren't making a 3DS version of Majora's Mask, but turns out the second they finished Ocarina of Time 3DS they started on Majora's Mask 3DS and just lied to us about doing it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Please.....for the love of god.....and everything that is good and decent in this world.....

GET A NEW ENGINE FOR THIS GAME!

Seriously, the engine that Bethesda uses for it's massive open world games is older than the crust on my underwear. >.>

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I wouldn't be bothered by this if Bethesda wasn't the only one to properly serve Anthro Fandom.

The others that do focus on Anthro Fandom outside of Bethesda look really cartoony or are stuck in other MMOs.

Outside of Ornstein's Armor from Dark Souls & some beginning missions in Dragon Age: Origins I have 0 interest in other fantasy games.

Plus all this does is add to my growing hatred of Fallout.
1 - How Fallout delays the next single player Elder Scrolls.
2 - Fallout 3's at times screwed up morality.
3 - New Vegas having enemy's named similar to Canaanites who died from Genocide.
4 - How badly children were implemented when going from Fallout 3 to Skyrim.
5 - How I find Metro more immersive than Fallout.

Don't get me wrong. I would like new IPs from Bethesda. But would any of those serve Anthro Fandom? Or would they just be similar to other games I can get from other companies with an obsession with human like Player Characters?

El Portero

Mar 14, 2010
I think what this means is TES6 is currently being worked on by a skeleton crew headed by Todd Howard (who is presumably there to make early creative decisions). The project won't get the whole studio working on it until they're ready to begin mass producing assets and writing quests.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I'd prefer Bethesda take a long, hard look at core game design principles - and, oh I dunno, any book, film, play, TV show or other game to get an inkling of what human nature and behaviour actually looks and sounds like... - before they find new ways to continue breaking what was only slightly bust back in the day (Morrowind, and it was a time before the scourge of open-worlders and Ubi-design so it got some free passes).

And for the love of all that's good... Don't use Fallout 4's dialogue 'system' for a new TES. TES should try to still function as an actual role-playing game. It can't do that with multiple voiced protagonists and a dialogue system that makes Mass Effect and Dragon Age Inquisition look like definitive examples of game design (I adore DA and ME, btw, but I find them almost impossible to truly RP).

Also, set the game in Hammerfell - because this is a brave new generation of benchmark pushing consoles and so--- moderately well rendered sand physics would be awesome.

I'd be fine with wacky, cannibalistic bosmer lands, too. Morrowind was ambitious and wonderfully weird/alien. Oblivion and Skyrim were the absolute antithesis, being safe and fearfully conservative/populist. I'd personally really like to see Hammerfell, as I rather like the culture and its history, and expansive sandy vistas are very rare in games. But if TES can go back to genuinely imaginative lands and cultures, I'd be more than happy.

El Portero said:
The project won't get the whole studio working on it until they're ready to begin mass producing assets and writing quests.
To be fair, the writing quests part probably takes them a few spare afternoons (interspersed with inter-department five-a-side), so they can wait pretty late for that...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
El Portero said:
The project won't get the whole studio working on it until they're ready to begin mass producing assets and writing quests.
To be fair, the writing quests part probably takes them a few spare afternoons (interspersed with inter-department five-a-side), so they can wait pretty late for that...
My _Object__ has been lost/stolen/ran away to __Location__ Can you retrieve it?
I require Many of ___Common Object___ and will pay you a useless token amount for every 1 you bring to me.
Go to __location__ and kill the leader of the raiders/bandits there.

There you go. Every secondary questline for every Bethesda Fallout and Elder Scrolls game ever.

I expect my cheque from Todd Howard in the post any day now.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Darth Rosenberg said:
Also, set the game in Hammerfell - because this is a brave new generation of benchmark pushing consoles and so--- moderately well rendered sand physics would be awesome.

I'd be fine with wacky, cannibalistic bosmer lands, too. Morrowind was ambitious and wonderfully weird/alien. Oblivion and Skyrim were the absolute antithesis, being safe and fearfully conservative/populist. I'd personally really like to see Hammerfell, as I rather like the culture and its history, and expansive sandy vistas are very rare in games. But if TES can go back to genuinely imaginative lands and cultures, I'd be more than happy.
I have absolutely wonderful news for you. You can have this, right now, for free, and with the full knowledge and consent of the developer: http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall

Of course, it IS open-world; probably the openest world in the whole series thus far (plotwise, anyway), and definitely the largest (Arena covered a bigger area, but the actual map was smaller); there's one particular dungeon that I'm pretty sure is larger than the entire Oblivion overworld. And it's buggy, in a way and to a degree that will make you unable to take anyone claiming a post-2000 Bethesda game "is buggy" seriously ever again. But it has 3D dungeon maps, levitation spells that work on horses, dragons that can actually pose a real threat to your life instead of just looking cool, a calendar that actually means something (if not a whole lot), inadvertently hilarious tavern names, language skills (yes, Edge magazine finally got its wish!), two different strains of lycanthropy, nine different vampire bloodlines, and that's just the stuff that actually got implemented; Daggerfall was far more ambitious than Morrowind ever was. Granted that many of its ideas didn't work out, and some things you couldn't do any more by the start of the Zenimax era (go ahead and try to put a Prostitute's Guild into Morrowind. I dare you.), but the point stands.

And the game stands. Grab it, and be happy.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Recusant said:
Darth Rosenberg said:

I have absolutely wonderful news for you. You can have this, right now, for free, and with the full knowledge and consent of the developer: http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall

Of course, it IS open-world; probably the openest world in the whole series thus far (plotwise, anyway), and definitely the largest (Arena covered a bigger area, but the actual map was smaller); there's one particular dungeon that I'm pretty sure is larger than the entire Oblivion overworld. And it's buggy, in a way and to a degree that will make you unable to take anyone claiming a post-2000 Bethesda game "is buggy" seriously ever again. But it has 3D dungeon maps, levitation spells that work on horses, dragons that can actually pose a real threat to your life instead of just looking cool, a calendar that actually means something (if not a whole lot), inadvertently hilarious tavern names, language skills (yes, Edge magazine finally got its wish!), two different strains of lycanthropy, nine different vampire bloodlines, and that's just the stuff that actually got implemented; Daggerfall was far more ambitious than Morrowind ever was. Granted that many of its ideas didn't work out, and some things you couldn't do any more by the start of the Zenimax era (go ahead and try to put a Prostitute's Guild into Morrowind. I dare you.), but the point stands.

Isn't there an Unofficial Patch for Daggerfall though? *looks*

Kind of, yeah. Either way though, it's pretty darn old and IMO, I would just play either Morrowind or Arena, depending on how old school you wanna go.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
OK, we don't have the time and manpower to work on a new game for you guys...but we are remaking the old game we already made that doesn't need to be remade because it's about five years old and there's a large mod community that fixed shit we still won't fix in the remake. Also the Creation Engine is rad and we think the dialogue system in Fallout 4 was an improvement over our old systems. In other news, there may be a gas leak in the Bethesda offices.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Arnoxthe1 said:
Recusant said:
Darth Rosenberg said:

Isn't there an Unofficial Patch for Daggerfall though? *looks*

Kind of, yeah. Either way though, it's pretty darn old and IMO, I would just play either Morrowind or Arena, depending on how old school you wanna go.
You know what else is old? Dinosaurs. It runs flawlessly in DosBox, every bit of information you could ever want on it is open knowledge on the internet, and it predates (and so doesn't have) many of the hideously annoying contrivances of modern gaming. The only reason to let age hold you back (given that compatibility and availability are taken care of) is graphical quality- and if you're going to let that hold you back, there's no hope for you.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Recusant said:
You know what else is old? Dinosaurs. It runs flawlessly in DosBox, every bit of information you could ever want on it is open knowledge on the internet, and it predates (and so doesn't have) many of the hideously annoying contrivances of modern gaming. The only reason to let age hold you back (given that compatibility and availability are taken care of) is graphical quality- and if you're going to let that hold you back, there's no hope for you.
Well, even if you don't give a crap about the graphics, the fact is it's pretty buggy even with the unofficial patch. And the graphics are... Realllllyyy dated. This is coming from a guy who still plays UT99/AvP2/Return to Castle Wolfenstein/etc. I'm not saying it's a bad game though. I just think that for super old school stuff, Arena is better, and for a more modern old school, Morrowind is better.

But hey, I will say that I've never played Daggerfall, even if I've read a bunch of stuff about it. So there's that too. XP

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Arnoxthe1 said:
Recusant said:
Well, even if you don't give a crap about the graphics, the fact is it's pretty buggy even with the unofficial patch. And the graphics are... Realllllyyy dated. This is coming from a guy who still plays UT99/AvP2/Return to Castle Wolfenstein/etc. I'm not saying it's a bad game though. I just think that for super old school stuff, Arena is better, and for a more modern old school, Morrowind is better.

But hey, I will say that I've never played Daggerfall, even if I've read a bunch of stuff about it. So there's that too. XP
Ah, that explains it. I was wondering how any rational person could find Arena better than Daggerfall (it's not; it's just older). And Arena is also available, DosBoxed up and free, on the same website.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Who cares, the next one is going to be horrible anyway.

Skyrim back then has shown signs of "streamlining" a ton of morrowinds depth away, now fallout 4 is a flat out hack & slash so the next tes will be bound to show even more severe symptoms of consolification.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
loa said:
Who cares, the next one is going to be horrible anyway.

Skyrim back then has shown signs of "streamlining" a ton of morrowinds depth away, now fallout 4 is a flat out hack & slash so the next tes will be bound to show even more severe symptoms of consolification.
Fallout 4 a hack and slash?

I must of not been using my Laser rifle to disintegrate my foes then.

They tried a new route with Fallout 4, with some fine tuning it could of been amazing, as it stands, it's still a good game, just flawed. Skyrim catered to the masses, hence it did so well even with non TES fans. Where Morrowind (while amazing at the time) now suffers greatly because of the graphics and gameplay, and Oblivion for new TES fans just becomes boring.

I hope they are taking this time to make a new engine, which opens the way for a lot of possibility's in terms of what they could do.