Bethesda (Makers of such hits as Oblivion and Fallout 3) Says That WRPG's Are More Realistic Than JR

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
http://thesilentchief.com/2010/08/05/bethesda-western-rpg-more-realistic-than-jrpgs/

Read the article and then read my post.

*Waits*

Oh? Done? Okay.

ARE YOU BLOODY KIDDING ME?!

A huge number of WRPG's are Tolkienesque skips through fantasy town number 85736826, trying to stop an evil cult, some evil wizard, or just a bunch of assholes trying to be douchebags.

Of course, there are games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 that COULD happen but seem somewhat unlikely. But I kind of take it personally that Bethesda, who brought us Oblivion and Hunted: The Demon's Forge and are bringing us Skyrim (no offense to the games mentioned.... Except for HTDF. I quite enjoy Oblivion and will thoroughly enjoy Skyrim) are saying that Western RPGs are more realistic than JRPG's. Have you ever heard of Persona?!

I will admit, JRPG's are a bit out there. But Westerns are also pretty out there. I'd put them on the same level on the Lunacy Meter.

What do you all think?

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
CannibalRobots said:
Blue is not a natural hair color, so...

Yep, they're right.
In any Bethesda RPG with character creation you are able to make your hair color blue.

Fallout, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc.

My Dunmer's hair is blue, your arguement is invalid.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
At least fantasy rpg's are based on an actual time period and it's mythos. I don't recall a period in history where we all summoned giant monsters or rode around on golden chickens.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
A lot of things are more realistic than Jr. Hands down the WORST Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, ever. I mean, a man having a baby...

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
CannibalRobots said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
CannibalRobots said:
Blue is not a natural hair color, so...

Yep, they're right.
In any Bethesda RPG with character creation you are able to make your hair color blue.

Fallout, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc.

My Dunmer's hair is blue, your arguement is invalid.
NATURAL HAIR COLOR
if you have to force the template to generate that color, it is not natural, but thanks for proving my point.
I don't have to force the template. Go on Oblivion right now and scroll through hair colors. Go on. Do it. Just not for Kahjit. They aren't nearly as customizable.

scully745

Mar 15, 2011
I think by realistic they mean WRPGs share a closer link to realism than the average JRPG does. At least WRPGs don't involve small children with hair down to their ankles with swords the size of a truck. But then again, they're both usually done as fantasy games so the idea is to distance themselves from reality, saying one fantasy game is more realistic than another sort of defeats the purpose of a fantasy RPG.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Realistic? What the fuck are they on, and who the fuck cares?

The closest thing the game industry has come to 'realism' is the original Operation Flashpoint, which is still pretty fucking off the real-world mark because it's a fucking game. But why even consider the aspect of realism in games which have no intention to be so?
Dude just...what the fuck.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I think it's the fact most Western RPGs take place in the Medieval fantasy setting. Then again, I haven't played many JRPGs.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
At least fantasy rpg's are based on an actual time period and it's mythos. I don't recall a period in history where we all summoned giant monsters or rode around on golden chickens.
I approve of your avatar but I must say this:

I don't recall any time in history in which some guy got thrown in jail and had gotten asked by an emporer to find his son and give him a magic amulet that would seal closed the gates of a hellish type plane that would at one point in the game send out a giant monster to fuck everyone's shit up.

Jun 11, 2008
Well I will admit they are a tad bit more realistic and grounded than some JRPGS but the combat in Bethesda games is hardly realistic. No scratch this. Why are we talking about RPGs being realistic when they are meant to be fantasy in some form or another? These comments on JRPGs by WRPG devs are quite redundant.

This thread and this comments is really pointless as I can't believe people are actually arguing and trying to prove that not only a game that is not meant to be realistic but a Fantasy game where you get stronger by going up levels and just picking what you want to be stronger realistic. Once again aside from the fact they are games they are RPGs. There is probably less than a handful of RPGS that can even try to claim realism and I can't think of a single one as to my knowledge they all use hit points and some form of magic. So unless neither of these things exist and you lose limbs when they hit you with a sword it is not realistic.

Also sorry forgot to say is that article not kinda old?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
In western RPGs, as in real life, a full grown man can easily ***** slap a mouthy teen with bad hair. It is the otherway around in JRPGs.

In all seriousness, RPGs are not realistic; hence the dragons, orcs, magic etc. I didn't play alpha protocol but that grabs me as an attempt for a more realistic RPG.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
I think people are taking my first post a bit the wrong way.

My main point of this was:

BETHESDA said this. That's all I'm really saying. BETHESDA.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Phoenix_XIII said:
I think people are taking my first post a bit the wrong way.

My main point of this was:

BETHESDA said this. That's all I'm really saying. BETHESDA.
Then I don't see any discussion value.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
I wouldn't say that it's a matter of WRPGs actually being more like reality. I'd say that WRPGs tend to feel more realistic, though. They (usually) use a less styalized art style, they (usually) tend to allow the player control over more things than the JRPG diumvirate of combat and navigation, and they (usually) have combat that takes place in the game world itself rather than the JRPG method of transporting you to a special combat arena. All in all, this (usually) contributes to a greater feeling of connection to reality than JRPGs.

IN MY OPINION. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO IMPLY THAT WRPGS ARE BETTER THAN JRPGS. SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS ARE JRPGS.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well they don't come out and say "JRPGS are shit" so I'm not really too sure why this matters.