Bethesda (Makers of such hits as Oblivion and Fallout 3) Says That WRPG's Are More Realistic Than JR

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
An entire genre devoted to emotional children protagonists with the world revolving around them isn't realistic? No way.

Talydia

Feb 15, 2011
I can see where they're coming from. but without being able to read the whole thing it kind of comes off as a veiled attempt to say 'ours are better'

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
The guy used words like "generalizing" and "overall", it's seems to me that he wasn't making a crazy claim. Both styles of games require a loss of realism, but comparitively JRPG's would seem to require it more so than WRPG's.

Doesn't really matter all that much to me personally, as I will not be playing any JRPG's, realistic or otherwise.

Actually, the most disturbing thing mentioned in the article, is at the tail end, they say he thinks Red Dead Redemption was a " great RPG". Now that's scary!

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Thyunda said:
Hobonicus said:
imahobbit4062 said:
No shit?

Sure, WRPG's usually have the typical Dragons, Wizards, Demonic Cults and shit. JRPG's? Female looking teenagers who save the world with Swords the size of a car, with gravity defying hairstyles. You tell me which one is more likely?

If anyone thinks that statement is false (sure, it's pretty out there, but it's still true) then you are quite possibly retarded.
Are you seriously saying that androgyny, young heroes, anime-inspired art styles, and large weapons are more unrealistic than mythical monsters, magic, and demons? And then you're calling anyone who disagrees retarded? How do you not see something wrong with that?

A lot of people think they're clever when they generalize JRPGs by repeating stereotypes held almost exclusively by Cloud, but to say that anyone who calls you out on your ignorance is retarded just because? Come on man, grow some balls and think for yourself here.

Most of what you said aren't even "staples of JRPGs". Giant swords are not common in JRPGs, in fact I can only think of two. The gravity defying hair is an aesthetic art style that (if you really want realism and don't understand how art direction works) can be considered fashionably groomed in the game's culture. But mostly it's just reminiscent of Japanese anime, because it's a Japanese game.

But hey, at least you're right about teenagers commonly being heroes. And young people a couple of years ahead of their physical prime and living in a world whose culture probably considers adulthood to start whenever puberty hits is totally less realistic than those "typical" dragons.

More OT: They're both similarly unrealistic, but WRPGs seem realistic to us because they're grounded in more mainstream myths that westerners understand and accept. So to Bethesda's American/European audience, WRPGs are generally more realistic.

Now hold on, you messed up on the definition of realistic. Realism isn't "Looks just like the real world." Realism is 'theoretically could work'. For example, dragons could exist. I mean, they don't, but they're a perfectly plausible fantasy creature to have in a fantasy world. You can scientifically explain how they work. So dragons are a perfectly realistic thing to include - provided they operate realistically. Skyrim dragons are realistic, I would say. World of Warcraft dragons...not so much.

I've never played a JRPG that had any semblance of realism to it. That doesn't mean they're bad, it just means they're totally unrealistic. A few of them could have been realistic if they didn't go too far with it...but that all kinda goes out the window when excessive use of spirits and life-force and shit gets involved.

Also - magic. Magic can be realistic too. Realism applies to the world in which the characters reside. I do not care if this is not the dictionary definition, it's a freaking useful one. Magic in WRPGs tends to be semi-realistic - physical manifestation of focussed will or energy. In a world where magic is possible, I'd say that's a fairly realistic way of getting that across. Not brilliantly so, but serviceable.

I hope I've made sense here.
Oh I do get what you mean, most of my post was just a dig at imahobbit for calling people retarded while making some pretty stupid generalizations himself. I do understand how the classic fantasy genre can be seen as plausible in some regard, or at least make it easy to suspend your disbelief. But a lot of that is because of what we've come to accept in our myths. Most of JRPGs lack of realism is due to stylistic decisions, which really shouldn't factor as heavily as it does into people's perception of it.

It's not necessarily that one is more realistic than the other, but that we've been conditioned to one form of myth which has been built upon and rationalized, so others seem strange. The biggest leap of plausibility in JRPGs is the existence of gods and the soul. Things like spirits and life-force can be attributed to parts of myths that we aren't nearly as accustomed to. I don't think the concept of higher power divinity or life-force (which is basically chi) is so bad. JRPGs may borrow from similar aspects of religion, but it's no less realistic for doing so.

The biggest difference is perspective, especially because JRPGs are so stylistically unique. WRPGs will often go out of their way to explain the world and the creatures, because westerners often prefer the illusion of science to style. You can scientifically explain how things in JRPGs work too, but they never go out of their way to explain it because it generally wouldn't fit the game. The illusion of science is what you're calling plausibility, it's like using techno babble in sci-fi. If the illusion works for you, great, that's not a bad thing and it means the game or genre has done a god job immersing you in the world. But understand that culture plays a huge role in our perception of choosing what's hypothetically realistic when talking about completely unreal worlds.

Although it would be sorta fair to say that since JRPGs have almost all the fantasy elements of WRPGs plus extra, they're more unrealistic by default due to quantity, though I don't really see it that way. I do get that WRPGs are meant to feel more grounded in reality though, but a lot of that comes from the medieval setting and bigger emphasis on society, economy, and environment within the games.

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
Phoenix_XIII said:
I think people are taking my first post a bit the wrong way.

My main point of this was:

BETHESDA said this. That's all I'm really saying. BETHESDA.
And they generally include humans or humanoids that try to look realistic or however they would look if they were real. The way I see it, Oblivion's gameplay is SOMEWHAT true to life, in terms of the combat and dungeon exploring. I don't remember the last JRPG I played that has gameplay in realtime, featuring visceral, almost simplistic combat of attacking and blocking, and a sense that enemies can see and hear you if you aren't sneaky enough. The last JRPG I played was like the last remnant and fucking everyone in that does backflips and has swords that shoot lasers.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
WRPGs have a base in realism (ES particularly), yes there are dragons and orcs but it's not several underage children wandering the world and fighting monsters with swords three times their height.

Look at The Witcher and remove all the fantasy tropes and you're left with a story and setting that could have existed sometime in medieval Europe. At the core of every WRPG there is somthing that ties it to the real world, not many JRPGs in my, limited, experience are like that.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
he he, ha, ha ha, HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

The fuck?! Genetic mutations like this: http://cyberpunk1989.deviantart.com/art/Yao-Guai-131012549

DO NOT OCCUR.

Nice try Western Gaming, you have just made yourself look like schmucks.

Fizzly182

May 17, 2011
When I look at Oblivion and Fallout, I notice things like power armor, plate armor, helmets, things like that. Seeing as how bare skin isn't quite effective at stopping a huge sword from cutting you in half. Then I look at Lightning from Final Fantasy...

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
King's Field and Megaten games and their spinoffs will like a word with this man. Also Front Mission and Ring of Red.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Maeshone said:
Da Orky Man said:
So, are you counting out the 20-foot long swords, summoning massive dragons, being hit 2643890 times before anything happens, flying, less-armour-means-more-protection, flying steampunk ships, Godzilla, Giant robots...
Need I say any more?
1. Name more than one JRPG that contains 20-foot long swords. Please.
Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy X and 13, Monster Hunter. Thats 4. Possibly Legend of Dragoon depending on if you see the swords in that as huge. Theres also one that Unskippable did where two armies threw giant swords at each other like they were friggin javelins but I cant remember the name of it. Thats probably the perfect example.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
bjj hero said:
In western RPGs, as in real life, a full grown man can easily ***** slap a mouthy teen with bad hair. It is the otherway around in JRPGs.

In all seriousness, RPGs are not realistic; hence the dragons, orcs, magic etc. I didn't play alpha protocol but that grabs me as an attempt for a more realistic RPG.
You can turn invisible in that game.
I didn't see that coming...

Fizzly182

May 17, 2011
I've noticed that in Western RPGs like Fallout and Mass Effect. There is some attempt to back it up with some science. Like the stealth boy, "It generates a modulating field that transmits the reflected light from one side of an object to the other making the bearer almost invisible to the untrained eye." Or Element Zero in Mass Effect. In a JRPG, I hardly see an attempt at explaining how a girl with a teddy bear can own my entire party! (Chrono Cross)

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
DigitalAtlas said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
....are saying that Western RPGs are more realistic than JRPG's. Have you ever heard of Persona?!
Persona.... Realistic....?

Good sir, this is a game where a government issue billion dollar android is sent to high-school and falls in love with a guy who shoots himself in the head to summon monsters during his deepest nightmares.

That's Persona 3. I will admit it takes a visit to crazy town on Orca Boat 719 but the point is, it actually takes place in a actual real setting (not the town but the country) and takes a lot from real life. IT EVEN FORCES YOU TO LEARN THINGS.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Neither are realistic...It's a bit of a silly thing to say isn't it really, unless Bethesda have a cliff racer problem in the foyer of their building.

Todd Howard: 'Hey! That was my sandwich!!! I was looking forward to that! Damn cliff racers!' *shakes fist*

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Echo136 said:
Maeshone said:
Da Orky Man said:
So, are you counting out the 20-foot long swords, summoning massive dragons, being hit 2643890 times before anything happens, flying, less-armour-means-more-protection, flying steampunk ships, Godzilla, Giant robots...
Need I say any more?
1. Name more than one JRPG that contains 20-foot long swords. Please.
Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy X and 13, Monster Hunter. Thats 4. Possibly Legend of Dragoon depending on if you see the swords in that as huge. Theres also one that Unskippable did where two armies threw giant swords at each other like they were friggin javelins but I cant remember the name of it. Thats probably the perfect example.
13 used normal sized swords for the most part. Om the parts where Lightning summons Odin she has a huge ass sword but that's a small frame of time to be counting. THat was for a summon and the rest of the time she uses a gunblade of normal size.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Phoenix_XIII said:
http://thesilentchief.com/2010/08/05/bethesda-western-rpg-more-realistic-than-jrpgs/

Read the article and then read my post.

*Waits*

Oh? Done? Okay.

ARE YOU BLOODY KIDDING ME?!

A huge number of WRPG's are Tolkienesque skips through fantasy town number 85736826, trying to stop an evil cult, some evil wizard, or just a bunch of assholes trying to be douchebags.

Of course, there are games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 that COULD happen but seem somewhat unlikely. But I kind of take it personally that Bethesda, who brought us Oblivion and Hunted: The Demon's Forge and are bringing us Skyrim (no offense to the games mentioned.... Except for HTDF. I quite enjoy Oblivion and will thoroughly enjoy Skyrim) are saying that Western RPGs are more realistic than JRPG's. Have you ever heard of Persona?!

I will admit, JRPG's are a bit out there. But Westerns are also pretty out there. I'd put them on the same level on the Lunacy Meter.

What do you all think?
I think this whole need to make video games "realistic" is what is destroying the industry. Rather than worrying about whether or not the physics behind your sword swings more closely mirrors real life than generic competitor B (This also goes for FPS as well), why not focus on making the game... I don't know... fun?

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Fizzly182 said:
I've noticed that in Western RPGs like Fallout and Mass Effect. There is some attempt to back it up with some science. Like the stealth boy, "It generates a modulating field that transmits the reflected light from one side of an object to the other making the bearer almost invisible to the untrained eye." Or Element Zero in Mass Effect. In a JRPG, I hardly see an attempt at explaining how a girl with a teddy bear can own my entire party! (Chrono Cross)
>Chrono Cross takes place in a place with magic.

>The girl with a Teddy Bear is skilled in magic.

>Those in a place where magic is power tend to want to master that power.

>Girl has probably trained in magic very hard. EDIT: Or is naturally gifted at magic.

>Girl owns team.

Not everything needs to be explained. Some things are supposed to be left up for you to think up. Thus, Braid.