Bethesda (Makers of such hits as Oblivion and Fallout 3) Says That WRPG's Are More Realistic Than JR

Sinisterair

Oct 15, 2008
imahobbit4062 said:
ChupathingyX said:
I already knew Bethesda were stupid, I don't need an article like this to verify the point, but it is a good thing to know anyway.

No, RPGs should not be realistic, however, if it is sci-fi then it should have science in it and I would love Bethesda to explain to me why after 200 years there is still so much radiation floating around the Capital Wasteland.

Oh and aren't Bethesda the people who made the Experimental MIRV and Rock-It launcher?
A single nuclear bomb can render a place full of radiation for decades. A nuclear holocaust? Dozens, maybe even hundreds of nuclear bombs? Even after 200 years, radiation would still be a big problem.
Considering there were a few Hundred bombs targeted at New Vegas alone I think its safe to assume the amount of bombs is a lot higher...

Correction....there were 77 aimed for New Vegas.....but still a large number for just one city,

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Reality is overrated, so making a big deal out of what medium that takes place OUTSIDE of reality is pretty pointless.

Also, maybe it's just what I've played but I agree, WRPGs are probably more realistic overall. But who cares?

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
Echo136 said:
Maeshone said:
Da Orky Man said:
So, are you counting out the 20-foot long swords, summoning massive dragons, being hit 2643890 times before anything happens, flying, less-armour-means-more-protection, flying steampunk ships, Godzilla, Giant robots...
Need I say any more?
1. Name more than one JRPG that contains 20-foot long swords. Please.
Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy X and 13, Monster Hunter. Thats 4. Possibly Legend of Dragoon depending on if you see the swords in that as huge. Theres also one that Unskippable did where two armies threw giant swords at each other like they were friggin javelins but I cant remember the name of it. Thats probably the perfect example.
Pfft, fine. I'll admit that I'm beaten here. >_>
But FFX? Were the swords really that large in that game? Been a long time since I played that...

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
My first thought was on the combat of the game. I feel like there are few big WRPG that are turn based which is less realistic.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I kinda get what they were trying to say, but no Bethesda, they aren't. Sure swords and such in WRPGs are more often then not shaped vaugly like they would be in real life, but that does not traslate to 'more realistic."

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
I totally agree with them, JRPGs are utter crap, down to the last one. Bethesda and BioWare can actually make good games which lack the awful plots and characters of the Final Fantasy games.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
I totally agree with what I assume Bethesda said (too lazy to read the article or op). WRPGS on the whole are more realistic, sure the settings might be just as fantastical but the gameplay is grounded in reality. However, for the most part I enjoy JRPGS more. I love Final Fantasy and Persona, I also love Mass Effect.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Maeshone said:
Echo136 said:
Maeshone said:
Da Orky Man said:
So, are you counting out the 20-foot long swords, summoning massive dragons, being hit 2643890 times before anything happens, flying, less-armour-means-more-protection, flying steampunk ships, Godzilla, Giant robots...
Need I say any more?
Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy X and 13, Monster Hunter. Thats 4. Possibly Legend of Dragoon depending on if you see the swords in that as huge. Theres also one that Unskippable did where two armies threw giant swords at each other like they were friggin javelins but I cant remember the name of it. Thats probably the perfect example.
But FFX? Were the swords really that large in that game? Been a long time since I played that...
Auron's sword was pretty impressive in size. Tidus' sword was not.

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Valkaris said:
I totally agree with them, JRPGs are utter crap, down to the last one. Bethesda and BioWare can actually make good games which lack the awful plots and characters of the Final Fantasy games.
Whoa whoa whoa. Have you even PLAYED a JRPG or even HEARD of one besides Final Fantasy?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
And I say that realism is irrelevant as long as you're having fun. You people do remember what 'fun' is, right? It's what games used to be before they started trying to be all artsy and dark and gritty and dull and gray.

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
Phoenix_XIII said:
Valkaris said:
Whoa whoa whoa. Have you even PLAYED a JRPG or even HEARD of one besides Final Fantasy?

Of course, there are so many bad JRPGs (many of them acclaimed as amazing games) its not productive to list them all.

Jazzeki

Jun 29, 2011
imahobbit4062 said:
No shit?

Sure, WRPG's usually have the typical Dragons, Wizards, Demonic Cults and shit. JRPG's? Female looking teenagers who save the world with Swords the size of a car, with gravity defying hairstyles. You tell me which one is more likely?

If anyone thinks that statement is false (sure, it's pretty out there, but it's still true) then you are quite possibly retarded.
i'm sorry i know i'm late to reply to this one but i just gotta ask: on any given day you find it more likely to run into either a dragon a demon or a wizard thorwing around fireballs rather than a slight girlish looking teenage boy with a stupid hairstyle demanding unreasonable amounts of hair gel carying a sword about his own sieze? i'm not saying either is likely but i'd go with the guy who has isues over the god damn dragon. i've seen people with stupid hair. i've seen girlsih boys i've seen idiots carrying buster swords(even if they were made of foam) i have yet to see a freaking dragon.

i'm sorry but this entire argument was derailed from the start. the word you're looking for is not "realistic" it's "relatable". when you play a WRPG it's takes about 5 minutes of gameplay at most to understand the rules of the world you are in. for insatnce take oblivion. it takes less than 2 minutes to realise that this is a god damn sword and socery fanatasy game and all of us know the basic rules of that setting. we know the guys in armour with swords are warriors and we know the guy with the fire hands is a wizard. i'm on board with everything. sure the details of the particular setting needs to be outlined a bit but i understand the basic concept of the world. i know the rules.
in a JRPG? to hell with the rules we'll make them up as we go along. they make new worlds new settings and new rules. you have to have everything explained because none of this makes sense in context with anything we have expirienced before. oblivion does. mass effect does. fallout does. persona and final fantasy does not. we need to be told what the rules are because we don't know them because they are new.
this does not make it realistic. it just mean we can relate to them better.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
Echo136 said:
Maeshone said:
Echo136 said:
Maeshone said:
Da Orky Man said:
Need I say any more?
Oooh yeah! That guy had a pretty big sword, but it still seemed kinda plausible to me.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
They were comparing Final Fantasy XIII in the interview. I think we can all agree that a majority of the technology in that game are mostly for show and don't seem to provide purpose. It's not like that was the central argument of the discussion. It seems like it casually slipped out as a perspective of a single developer.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Maeshone said:
Echo136 said:
Maeshone said:
Echo136 said:
Maeshone said:
Da Orky Man said:
Need I say any more?
Oooh yeah! That guy had a pretty big sword, but it still seemed kinda plausible to me.
And the way he used it. He always had to support it on his shoulder and he swung it quite realistically for a sword of that size. So I don't think that counts.

Jazzeki

Jun 29, 2011
Maeshone said:
Echo136 said:
Maeshone said:
Echo136 said:
Maeshone said:
Da Orky Man said:
Need I say any more?
i agree. one thing is when they want us to belive that a guys can causally swing around a sword 4 times it sieze and act like it's it common sieze. but with auron it seemed like he simply relied entirely on the weight of the balde and more droped the sword on his enemies rather than actually use any kind of sword play. carrying something that big whille not easy is far from implausibel

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
of course its more realistic, they actually have a set era, location, and realistic abilities (as much realism you can get from fantasy magic but i digress). if FF is the average jrpg, then thats VERY true.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, this really is a no-brainer. I can't imagine a world where people stand around waiting their turn to get hit. Or launch dogs from their wrists. WRPGs are by no means realistic, but at least they're grounded in an older-than-dirt mythology and not the latest anime.