Bethesda (Makers of such hits as Oblivion and Fallout 3) Says That WRPG's Are More Realistic Than JR

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
of course its more realistic, they actually have a set era, location, and realistic abilities (as much realism you can get from fantasy magic but i digress). if FF is the average jrpg, then thats VERY true.
It's not. It's just the most popular.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Why would they NOT believe this to be true? After all, it's what they do. It's their job. Right now, they try to make comfortable, self-contained worlds in which people and events make sense and aren't too "over-the-top". That's one of the things I like about them. If they didn't honestly believe that Western RPGs were more realistic (not exactly the boldest claim ever made, when you think about it) then they'd probably be making pseudo-Japanese RPGs instead like many other companies are now.

Call me when every single person at the company goes on camera stating that JRPGs suck and so does everyone who plays them. THAT would be worth an outrage, or at least some frowning upon.

Johnny Reb

Sep 12, 2010
[http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h403/hippykiller15/?action=view&current=images.jpg]

check and mate.

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
Have you ever played a JRPG? nothing against them but, well they are the definition of unrealistic.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
spartan231490 said:
I don't have much experience with JRPGs, I dislike Turn-based combat too much, but I'm relatively familiar with FFXIII and this was one of my complaints. The entire premise was just way too far out there to believe. It ruined my immersion.
Play X-2

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
ryanxm said:
Have you ever played a JRPG? nothing against them but, well they are the definition of unrealistic.
Persona. That is all I have to say.

And WRPG's aren't any more realistic.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
Phoenix_XIII said:
ryanxm said:

I disagree completely with you, but I guess I have to say well done for sticking around this long to defend yourself.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Dreiko said:
Realism exists in fantasy too, I wouldn't think so many people here would be hitched on the technicality.

It's more realistic for fantasy swords to stab monsters like real life swords would stab animals than it is for them to chop mountains in half as though they were made out of snow. That's Wrpg and Jrpg contrasted.

You're missing the BIG PICTURE here lol. It's BETTER to have cool extra out there super awesome things in our games. Mundane stuff for the sake of familiarity and easy comprehension is a compromise and worsens the experience.
Hell no, JRPG's dont even do it right, they just go to the extreme and do it poorly. At best JRPG's are just pants-on-head retarded. WRPG's are way better on the grandness meter. JRPG's just come up with absurdities and call it epic and grand while its just silly. An angsty teen girl who takes a meteor to the face and then swings a sword the size of the cosmos to kill the bad guy = SILLY AND STUPID. A mortal man fighting against a dragon that could easily set him or fire or crushing him and winning is grand and epic.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I totally agree. While JRPGs are good (though I personally don't care for them), there is more...verisimilitude, I guess, in the way WRPGs go about creating the world. Look at fallout 3 and just tell me it doesn't look like that could happen. Or even the elder scrolls series, or KOTOR. Heck, that last one was a Star Wars game, and its got a "realism" to it that makes the worlds come alive.

Lost Odyssey, on the other hand, is nice to look at, but something about it says "this is not real," to me. It just looks dead. Like there isn't anything going on, and that all the encounters you have are set-up. I don't know why, it just does to me.

Drakos.Amatras

Mar 23, 2011
Valkaris said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
Valkaris said:
I totally agree with them, JRPGs are utter crap, down to the last one. Bethesda and BioWare can actually make good games which lack the awful plots and characters of the Final Fantasy games.
Whoa whoa whoa. Have you even PLAYED a JRPG or even HEARD of one besides Final Fantasy?
Of course, there are so many bad JRPGs (many of them acclaimed as amazing games) its not productive to list them all.
You're bluffing. That's the kind of blindly generalized thinking only a hater would adopt. But do tell: What are your standards for JRPGs, if you go as far as saying all of them are crap?

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
The whole debate is moot, but honestly, JRPGs have some of the outright wackiest scenarios and stories i've ever seen. I'm sorry, but a medieval-esque world where people happen to be able to fling fireballs (á la Oblivion) and a post apocalyptic wasteland where people fight to survive and mutants rise up to struggle for their own survival as a subset of the human species (á la Fallout) are far, far more feasible than... well, take your pick really. How about someone spending hours upon hours in an imaginary world based entirely around their passion - music? How about a world where people give life to artificial constructs called golems who try to wipe them out as per their original orders during the war? How about immortals being able to live through absolutely anything and never age? (Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms and Lost Odyssey respectively). That's not even counting the myriad of Final Fantasy stories. A habitat suspended in the air above a world? That's totally feasible, is it? (Using the ludicrous FFXIII as an example). Certain themes may be 'realistic' in terms of their relativity to current issues, such as racism, fighting fate, overcoming prejudices and taking responsibility for one's actions and so on, but in terms of realistic believable settings and stories? No, i'm sorry. I have a much easier time imagining a nuclear wasteland than half human half animal half robot half something or other critters banding together to stop some ridiculous machination of a campy OTT villain who's only goal in life is to... i don't know? Rule the world? Destroy it for lulz?

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
I personally couldn't care less. Bickering over whether these games are more realistic than those games is simply pathetic and pointless since it achieves nothing. I just don't see the point in it.

Drakos.Amatras

Mar 23, 2011
Kenko said:
Hell no, JRPG's dont even do it right, they just go to the extreme and do it poorly. At best JRPG's are just pants-on-head retarded. WRPG's are way better on the grandness meter. JRPG's just come up with absurdities and call it epic and grand while its just silly. An angsty teen girl who takes a meteor to the face and then swings a sword the size of the cosmos to kill the bad guy = SILLY AND STUPID. A mortal man fighting against a dragon that could easily set him or fire or crushing him and winning is grand and epic.
Final Fantasy series is not a representative of all JRPGs.

Gralian said:
I'm sorry, but a medieval-esque world where people happen to be able to fling fireballs (á la Oblivion) and a post apocalyptic wasteland where people fight to survive and mutants rise up to struggle for their own survival as a subset of the human species (á la Fallout) are far, far more feasible than...
What?

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
I think it's silly to suggest that western rpg's are inherently superior to japanese RPGs simply because they strive for a more realistic aesthetic. It's like saying that First Person Shooters are aesthetically more realistic than 2D platformers and therefore better, it's all fine and good to say, but it kind of ignores the fact that 2D sidescrollers almost never AIM to be realistic in the first place.

For the record I enjoy both Japanese and Western developed RPGs

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
It's a cultural thing. Like the guy in the article said - an ant in Fallout blows fire becuase it evolved due radioactive enviroment, while in Final Fantasy a plane can have chaisaw on wings, and scorpion like tail cause it looks cool - it doesn't have to make sense.
If you read at least one manga that involves paranormal or something like that then you know they don't keep close to their source material - they have fun with it in bananas gone crazy way. Characters could breath rocks just so it would make any sense why something happens.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
King of the Sandbox said:
At least fantasy rpg's are based on an actual time period and it's mythos. I don't recall a period in history where we all summoned giant monsters or rode around on golden chickens.
And what exactly is a silt strider then?

I think both are out there... each ground their games in different aspects of reality, but neither are more realistic than the other. Also, when did realism become equivalent to better?

Ramanthes

Jul 15, 2011
Phoenix_XIII said:
ryanxm said:

The more you try to defend your argument with Persona,the more you fail in doing so.It is not realistic at all,despite being set a real-life-like setting.Try Parasite Eve.It's plausible (that is,plausible if you have no idea about biology),it's set in f-ing New York,and you play a cop.Ok you play a magical-blonde-japanese-but-in-truth-totally-american cop,but still.And it's still borderline insane compared to Fallout,even though it's much more plausible.

Dingoman013

Mar 11, 2009
CannibalRobots said:
Phoenix_XIII said:
CannibalRobots said:
Blue is not a natural hair color, so...

Yep, they're right.
In any Bethesda RPG with character creation you are able to make your hair color blue.

Fallout, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc.

My Dunmer's hair is blue, your arguement is invalid.
NATURAL HAIR COLOR
if you have to force the template to generate that color, it is not natural, but thanks for proving my point.
Well then again it could have been died. Its part of character creation.