Bethesda Opens New Game Studio in Montreal

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Bethesda Opens New Game Studio in Montreal

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1016/1016447.jpg

Bethesda Game Studios has announced the opening of an additional studio in Montreal.

In a post today [https://bethesda.net/?utm_source=Twitter.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=12052015-BGSMontreal&hootPostID=2a80b27862c1a036ea803f324cf01ac7#en/events/article/bethesda-game-studios-opens-montreal-office/2015/12/09/58], Bethesda Game Studios announced the opening of a new studio, based in Montreal, Quebec, with a focus on expanding "development capabilities in console, PC, and mobile gaming."

"We've worked with some very talented developers in Montreal for a long time, and decided it was time to open a studio there," said Todd Howard, Game Director and Executive Producer at Bethesda Game Studios. "It's exciting to think about the new games we'll be building together."

"Our collaboration with Bethesda Game Studios has been an exhilarating and memorable journey already," said Montreal Studio Director Yves Lachance, who previously worked on Fallout Shelter. "We are thrilled to be launching the studio in Montreal and contributing our city's great game-making talent to the kind of games that Bethesda Game Studios is known for."

According to the announcement, Bethesda's Montreal studio already has a core team of over 40 developers, "spanning both console and mobile development."

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I assume they'll be working on the card game too (which no one is excited about). I just can't get hyped for mobile games. I don't have it in me.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I live in montreal. And you could not pay me enough to playstest their games... ever

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Ahem.

Fallout: CANADA

But 4-serious it's awesome that they're getting a new studio to assist with production. This only means the Elder Scrolls VI get here faster / smoother.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
"However, being the relentless sleuth that I am?at least between the hours of nine and six?I followed the craftily concealed bright blue link that promised "more information about available jobs". There, amid high-level job descriptions composed of non-committal corporate buzzwords, I uncovered that the Montreal team will be "pushing the bleeding-edge of RPG development for the PC and consoles". Columbo, eat your heart out."

Taken from PC Gamer.

The next Elder Scrolls maybe?

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Haru17 said:
Ahem.

But 4-serious it's awesome that they're getting a new studio to assist with production. This only means the Elder Scrolls VI get here faster / smoother.
Well...

Even though all the Fallout games have taken place in the US, Canada had been annexed by the time the bombs fell.

Fallout 5 confirmed!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
praetor_alpha said:
Haru17 said:
Ahem.

Well...

Even though all the Fallout games have taken place in the US, Canada had been annexed by the time the bombs fell.

Fallout 5 confirmed!
Hey don't be leaking their stuff already. Didn't you see how that got the beloved Kotaku blacklisted?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Well, another dev studio is always good in my book.

>Montreal Studio Director Yves Lachance
>Lachance
>Bethesda
>Lachance

What is the color of night?

Apr 5, 2008
Hardly surprising. Canada in general and Montreal more particularly seems to be the capital of global games development (in the West at least). The sad fact is that only the Canadian govmt offer such generous tax relief and benefits to video game development making it orders of magnitude more financially beneficial to base a studio there than anywhere else in the West.

The British games industry has suffered greatly over the years. Most of our studios have shut down due to the cost of doing business here. Studios have been bought, shut down and moved overseas, opened and closed after very titles and I don't think we have many left. As of right now, Rocksteady (Arkham games) is probably the only major one I know of. Checking there's still Codemasters, Lionhead, Rare, Team17 and a couple of others who aren't particularly well known. Eidos have an HQ here, have done since before Squeenix buyout, but there's no development there; they do publishing and subsidiary offices make the odd mobile game. I think SCE Europe are HQd here too.

It's a similar reason that Apple and many other companies have corporate HQs in different places. Apple HQ is in Ireland, Amazon (I think) is in Switzerland or similar...they get massive tax breaks by doing it. If Apple tried moving their money into the US, the taxman would drain them dry so they leave it in Ireland for the favourable treatment.

Canada is the mecca for games development, most big companies and many of the best devs are based there or have opened studios there. The govmt treat the industry better than any other in the West and it's attracted top talent and creatives as a result. Big studios can and do exist elsewhere obviously, but it's no surprise that Beth would choose Canada to open a new studio because of the tax breaks and talent Canada offers the industry.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
That's cool. I don't like that they're suddenly interested in mobile games though. I'm VERY much not a fan of mobile games. I'd much rather see elder scrolls VI than elder scrolls mobile.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Haru17 said:
it's awesome that they're getting a new studio to assist with production. This only means the Elder Scrolls VI get here faster / smoother.
Not necessarily. More people does not necessarily equal better development. In fact, sometimes it can mean worse. With those huge teams, producers and main directors need to constantly fight to keep that huge of a team all on the same page which is VITAL to game development.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Lufia Erim said:
I live in montreal. And you could not pay me enough to playstest their games... ever
The irony is that, if the sales charts are correct, millions of people are paying for playtesting their latest game...

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
CaitSeith said:
Lufia Erim said:
The irony is that, if the sales charts are correct, millions of people are paying for playtesting their latest game...
Which makes it worst. With all the bugs in these games at launch, could you imagine all the bugs actual paid playtesters had to go through?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lizzy Finnegan said:
According to the announcement, Bethesda's Montreal studio already has a core team of over 40 developers, "spanning both console and mobile development."
Its funny how quick bethesda is to forget their primary money maker - PC.

Haru17 said:
Ahem.

that would actually be interesting, to see the "american sci-fi" from the other side of canadians being anexxed.

Corey Schaff said:
Fallout Hawaii, you could have different environments for each nuclear waste-island.
But who would bother bombing Hawaii?