Bethesda Reveals The Evil Within

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Bethesda Reveals The Evil Within

Send the kids out of the room, because Bethesda's teasers have been building up to a nightmare of a game.

Bethesda has been doing its best to confuse us with a codename Zwei [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123318-Bethesda-Teases-Something], the game is now revealed to be The Evil Within, and from the debut trailer, Mikami is certainly living up to his survival horror legacy. The trailer isn't nearly as cryptic as the teasers have been, but be warned - it's not for the faint of heart.

There weren't many clues to go off of from the teasers, but the all make an appearance in the trailer. Barbed wire is a prominent motif, and we hear some of the classical music hinted at by the first Vine video. The inexplicable burning flowers from the second video are back, and as for the window on the third... well, I won't spoil what's on the other side of it. The bulk of the trailer, though, is devoted to a handful of disturbing characters: a man diligently twisting a length of wire in a dimly lit workshop. A hulking figure wielding a nasty-looking meat hammer, his head locked in a metal safe. A half-human woman with... honestly, I'm not sure how to describe her. I'm not even sure I want to think about it. If you want to see it for yourself, it's all in the reveal trailer. Friendly advice: don't watch it while you're eating.

Details on the game itself are sparse, but it's clear that Mikami is in his element working on these grotesque, primal horrors. For his part, he seems to be enjoying it. "We're incredibly proud to announce The Evil Within," Mikami says. "My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action."

The Evil Within is being developed for PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and next-gen consoles. The tentative release window is 2014. More information about the game is coming soon: keep your eyes peeled for more news on Monday, April 22 when Mikami and his team at Tango Gameworks will tell us more about our future nightmares.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/19/shinji-mikamis-new-game-is-the-evil-within?abthid=517131fafa0570b54b000005]

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
I see some silent hill motivs there:

Pyramid head evolved to "Safe" head?

Creepy deformed naked female..

Skinned people encased in spiked wire

On the other hand.. what works... works

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Uh... what? That was something else I suppose.

Who knew Cthulhu is locked away in a safe.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
A survival horror game from the man who not only basically defined the genre but has also worked on some other stellar titles, such as Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7 and Devil May Cry?

Yes please =D

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Nice to see another horror game being made. There are so few of them around these days.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm, Whelp, that gets a resounding Meh from me. I have had a long relationship with survival horror but the only real horror that I get from survival horror games is the terror of not being scared. Sure there occasional exclusions like Amnesia, but as a whole genre, not even close and definitely not enough to merit the number of games produced under the moniker.

Perhaps some of these games ought to drop the whole horror part of the name. Seriously, When was the last time someone was genuinely scared by something that occurred in say, Resident Evil? Honestly last one I can recall was dobermans through the window and excluding the most recent one Ive played all the "numbered" installments.

Yeah really dissapointed for the choice to go with a new IP when there is a perfectly good IP to work with that is absolutely dying to be explored. Oh well.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
okay, that's cool. under one condition only...

mr. resident evil creator, if you plan on including gun combat, PLEASE don't use the RE style controls. believe it or not, a lot of games these days allow you to move AND shoot... AT THE SAME TIME!!! MINDFREAK!

Cyrromatic

Mar 9, 2012
Not sure what to think of this. I mean, the same disturbing visual can be made by jamming your fork violently into a bowl of pasta while pouring on the ketchup. I need context, dangnabbit.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Well, that was some fucked shit.

Can't help feel though, that is is more jumpy-scary horror like Dead Space than Amnesia horror.

Still, might get this one.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
The teasers were wonderful, the trailer is an overproduced and overly loud collection of uninspired tropes.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Sounds Baroque.

I know that piece, and I think it may be a Haydn one? Either way, Harpsichord strongly hints at it.

Although why the hell Baroque? 16th-17th century is an odd time to have your music from.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
so, I'm not the only one who feels those... monsters (?) were just retreads of previous games' characters, right?

Pyramid Head's younger brother, Safe Head finally gets a shot at the lime-light, and apparently he followed in his brother's footsteps of large melee weapon training.

and as for the 4 armed girl, you can't just throw 2 additional arms on Left 4 Dead's Witch and think we won't notice...

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
so, I'm not the only one who feels those... monsters (?) were just retreads of previous games' characters, right?

Pyramid Head's younger brother, Safe Head finally gets a shot at the lime-light, and apparently he followed in his brother's footsteps of large melee weapon training.

and as for the 4 armed girl, you can't just throw 2 additional arms on Left 4 Dead's Witch and think we won't notice...

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Sweet, the return of proper horror games? Coz publishers kept telling us we dont like horror game anymore.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Okay then.

For some reason live action video game trailers always put me off. Still, I won't say no to a possibly good horror game.

Kind of hard not to be cynical about Cube Head though. Comes off as a rather half hearted attempt at making the proverbial lightning strike twice.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
I was fairly sure that the reveal wouldn't be exceptional, but that was it?

What's the point of making a convoluted bunch of teasers, just to have another teaser on a new IP that we have no information about?

I hope they ream their PR department.
I think the point was to make people curious , rather than overhyped . And curious i am . So i will be looking into this.