Bethesda: Skyrim DLCs "Closer to Expansion Packs"

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
lord.jeff said:
Woodsey said:
What springs forth in your mind when someone says "DLC": an additional 25-30 hours of content, or 2-3 hours (or less)?
25-30 what expansion pack are you playing? That sounds more like a full fledged game, the biggest expansion pack I've played was Shivering Isles and that still took about 10 hours to beat.
Define "beat", because there's no way in hell you did much of anything - besides the main quest - in The Shivering Isles in 10 hours.

Paladin Anderson

Nov 21, 2011
Huh? DLWhat? I can't hear you. This saber tooth tiger I'm riding in a 100+ npc battle is really loud!

Seriously, Mods>DLC. They need to bring it big time if they hope to compete with what the players are making.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Sniper Team 4 said:
Sounds good to me. I'd like to leave Skyrim myself. Perhaps go into other territories since they're already in the game. Maybe deal a crushing blow to the Thalmor, or find a hint as to what happened to the Dwarves. Oh! Or find some snow elves! There are so many things they could do, so many mysteries they could answer. I can't wait for these DLCs.
Sorry to bum you out pal, but we already found the snow elves. That's what the Falmer were, before the Dwarves made them their slaves.

But we can do the other things. Although I think we learned what happened to the Dwarves at the mage college, and they may be dead. Maybe.

Dusk17

Jul 30, 2010
sigh...i love elder scolls games but i cant stand the fans...especially the PC players who cant resist taking a shot at consoles.

also what happened with mods, i heard sometime before release that they were going to try to make them available on consoles, screw expansion packs and give us that.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
I'm waiting for Sony to by hypocrites and say that they won't allow Skyrim updates or some such on the PS3 because Xbox got DLC first... lol

Fudj

May 1, 2008
I think i would be happy with something involving the Thalmor war or a return to the Shivering Isles, would love to see that place again.

Slightly off topic though, i allways wanted to be able to side with the Thalmor if playing an elf, as it seems odd they would side against their own people.....so maybe a storyline fix for that would be nice, and it wouldnt be something that interfered with the Dragonborn quest at all.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Well it's taken around 3 months to get the PS3 version actually working properly so I'm in no hurry to buy any DLC for this. Especially given what (apparently) happened with Fallout 3 where the DLC completely broke the game.

(and RDR's Undead Nightmare counts as good DLC in my book)

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Don't make any stupid shit like Knights of the Nine and you've got me on board, Bethesda. Also, please include Cyrodiil and/or Morrowind in future expansion packs if you can. It's already baked into the game to begin with. Might as well do something with it.

Source: http://ppsh-41.tumblr.com/post/13145143504/entire-tamriel-landmass-built-into-skyrim

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I liked The Pitt.
hurmf.
Well its nice that they want to make it big, but xbox exclusive - bad bethesda bad.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
An expansion has 3 aspects that make it worthy of the name.

1. a continuation of the story in the original game without retconning if at all possible, OR a re-balance of the "climax" of the original story to take into account the power creep from the expanded content.

All the sidequests in the world are just filler if nothing that happens in them changes the game story. And it is really anticlimactic if with the new gear and levels the heros breeze through what was previously a challenging fight.

2. new gameplay mechanics

New mechanics gives an excuse to restart from the beginning. Traditionally this has been done through new classes/skills, new gear, new enemies. To be a truly good expansion these new mechanics have to be integrated into the "original" game content, for example Diablo LOD adding totem, fist blades, and druid hat drops to the loot tables.

3. major bugfix and re-balance to take into account the power creep

This is a repeat of point 1 but it is important. Any expansion needs to really fix all known bugs and re-balance to remove exploits, tweak the usefulness of gameplay mechanics and decrease degenerate strategies.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Yay more bloodmoon! Although Xbox exclusives can suck a big fat cock. >8(

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Spudgun Man said:
Holy shit
Back in my day expansion pack meant more than adding some more content to your Sims lives.
If Bethesda follow through with this then it looks like they move up in my esteem charts from monarch to full fledged gods.
But if they fuck us off with something like Knights of the Nine? God help us.
Anything less than Shivering Isle, would be criminal.
here here they know how to do dlc that works, and works VERY well there's no reason to screw us and i hope they don't blow it in the dlc department, that would make many skyrim fanboys cry!
back to my dragonbone! ( intentional blacksmithing wordplay! )

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Denamic said:
Mezmer said:
I just hope they do at least two REAL expansion packs this time. I'm sorry, Knights of the Nine was not, and never will be an expansion. It was shit.
They've already stated months ago that they will take Oblivion as an example on how not to do it.
Well then, good. My mind can be put to rest about that then.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Pandabearparade said:
Anthony Wells said:
They havent done wrong by me yet with their dlc's so i don't expect them to with Skyrims.
You clearly don't remember horse armor.

Or Mothership Zeta.

Or Operation: Anchorage.
I thought Mothership Zeta was pretty neat (apart from being limited to one part of the ship after finishing the quest). Operation: Anchorage is another story. Who thought it was a good idea to make Operation: Anchorage an unrepeatable quest? Or to not at least let you use the simulator for like training or something after finishing the quest? :/

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Bethy's such a tease.
First, I discover that all of Tamerial is rendered, which raises my hopes of having my Argonian return to his homeland.
Then it turns out it's just for aestectics, allegdy.
Now, their saying there's going to be huge DLC packs and stuff for free--all of which made me think of Valve.

Well I'm at least hoping to see this as one their mini-expansions

"Skyrim's a dangerous place. Is your Mudcrab safe? Do you even have a Mudcrab? If not, find one and buy him this armor. He won't necessarily thank you, fight for you, or even stop stabbing you with his claws, but you'll sleep easy knowingyour crab pal is protected by the finest handcraft armor ever created by the Dwemer smiths of old."

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Woodsey said:
What springs forth in your mind when someone says "DLC": an additional 25-30 hours of content, or 2-3 hours (or less)?
Downloadable content. Extra content that you download. The term doesn't imply anything regarding the quality, size or length of the content, merely that it is additional content for the game. Which you, y'know, download. That doesn't preclude being able to buy the DLC on disc as well, but if it's disc-exclusive, it isn't DLC.

I see DLC and Expansion Pack being fairly synonymous terms. Only difference being that DLC is an XP which you can download, a sub-heading of expansion packs if you will.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Atheists in Tamriel.
Just to go off on a slightly related tanget, you know what really bugs me about this sort of thing? How stupidly simple it would have been to resolve one of the major sources of tension between the Thalmor and the Nords.

Skyrim exists in a world where Daedric princes will pop up and ask you a favour, where gods will communicate with their followers, and where the supernatural is very much the natural. Nobody doubts the existence of gods, and if they do start to doubt then the gods are liable to turn up at their door with a big stick to change their mind.

So...why does nobody, but nobody, seem to hit on the idea of asking the gods or the Daedra about Talos? Just a quick prayer, a "Hey guys, have you got a god who used to be human up there? Oh, you do? Could...could you put him on? We just need to speak to him quickly. Yeah, yeah, settle a bet, something like that...", and boom. Major bone of contention disappears, one side is definitively right or wrong, everyone goes back to finding other reasons to hit each other. Considering how easy it would seem to be to get confirmation or denial from on high, you've got to start wondering about just how smart all of these people are...