Bethesda Sues Interplay Over Use Of Fallout License

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Its ok interplay just come out with another descent and I will come back to you

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Gormourn said:
Heh, legal clusterfuck.
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from a movie.

"Dad. Why is America the greatest country in the world?"
"Because of our endless appeals process."

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Interplay have been a fucking comedy act since about 2002 or so. They sacked all their decent staff, gambled on Dark Alliance II selling well (the original was a sleeper hit, and the second was a good evolution but not the critical success Interplay needed, and the less said about Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel the better, though Fallout fans must shoulder the blame for some at least of that).

Then they sacked everyone they employed (many of whom were very cool guys) and went dark with basically one exec and a secretary until they managed to sell the Fallout rights to Bethesda.

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
Ah well, Interplay should have known they were selling themselves up the creek when they sold the license. In a competetive market you can't afford to make silly mistakes and while I respect them for creating the first two Fallout and Baldur's Gate and publishing Planescape: Torment (which are arguably a few of my all-time favourites), they should know better.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
This is a petty move on Bethesda's part.

There is no ' irreparable harm' here, it strikes me that Bethesda seems to wants everyone to forget about the original games and instead flock to it's iteration.

"Fallout 1 and 2? What're those? *WE* didn't make em, so they must not count!"

No doubt Bethesda's plan was to plaster their own logo and name all over the packaging of the originals as well so that we poor consumer sheep would think Bethesda had always been in the drivers seat rather than playing the pretender to the throne like they're doing now!

Bah!

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Zeithri said:
FUCK YOU Bethesda!
Stop messing with one of my favorite gaming companies.

I didn't see your name on the Descent boxes now, did I?!

This is just a stupid move by Bethesda.
I concur.

m15t4k3n

Sep 8, 2009
axia777 said:
Triffid said:
axia777 said:
Triffid said:
Not that I care, the Interplay Fallout games suck
That is blasphemy. *shakes head in disgust...*
rpgs are boring. get with the program.

fps is the way of the warrior
To each their own. If fps is the way of the warrior then RPG's are the way of the intellectual.
If only the intellectuals would stop making sticks for warriors to bash each others brains out with, eh?

On topic: "Bethesda suing Interplay"? Isn't that like "Boeing suing the Wright brothers" or something? Anyway, screw the Fallout MMO, in my opinion. It sucks in every way I try to visualize it.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
The Madman said:
No doubt Bethesda's plan was to plaster their own logo and name all over the packaging of the originals as well so that we poor consumer sheep would think Bethesda had always been in the drivers seat rather than playing the pretender to the throne like they're doing now!

Bah!
That'll be why they've got most of the old Fallout 1 and 2 team working on Fallout: New Vegas, right?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
matsugawa said:
Zeithri said:
FUCK YOU Bethesda!
Stop messing with one of my favorite gaming companies.

I didn't see your name on the Descent boxes now, did I?!

I concur.

Same. Bethesda are just acting like money-grabbing thiefs, maybe that's just because they are though.

In my opinion, it's just them being over-powered twats who want more money than they need. They shouldn't be doing this, it's them just trying to get people away from playing the originals which are clearly better than their one.

Bethesda are worse than Bungie in my opinion, and although none of you know me at all (considering this is my first post here), if any of you do get to know me, you'll realise that bungie are definitely my most HATED game studio EVER.

I'm gonna continue to play the original fallout games because they're better made (Less glitches btw) than Fallout 3.

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
The Madman said:
This is a petty move on Bethesda's part.

There is no ' irreparable harm' here, it strikes me that Bethesda seems to wants everyone to forget about the original games and instead flock to it's iteration.

"Fallout 1 and 2? What're those? *WE* didn't make em, so they must not count!"

Bah!
Or it could be, y'know, because Interplay didn't hold up their end of the contract.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
GloatingSwine said:
That'll be why they've got most of the old Fallout 1 and 2 team working on Fallout: New Vegas, right?
Yeah, that confuses me too. If Bethesda is so uptight about slapping their own name across anything Fallout, why hire out the spinoff to another developer? And if they're not so uptight, well, there's absolutely no other reason for this lawsuit!

Frankly it's a mess. All I know is if Bethesda tries to pull the original Fallout games from all the downloadable websites I'm gonna be proper pissed. People oughta at least have the option open to them to play the original games that started it all. And why shouldn't Interplay be able to sell the originals? They helped make them after all, regardless of Bethesda's newfound lover.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
It is their intellectual property now Interplay agreed to the conditions and did seemingly breach them, dont see the issue here Bethesda is within every right to sue if an agreed contract is broken.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
The Madman said:
And if they're not so uptight, well, there's absolutely no other reason for this lawsuit!
Because Interplay are a clown show. Fallout is their only property, it's all they can make money from, so they'll push their luck with the terms of their contract with Bethesda as far as possible.

Seriously, I remember the bullshit when they originally shuttered and sacked everyone, as they had a really good forum community, where the developers were really active and friendly, and it was a real pisser when they all got sacked in favour of one guy in an office somewhere (literally all Interplay had at one point).

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Who the hell would be confused? Even the people who only started on Fallout 3 are intelligent enough to understand the concept that Bethesda made the third game while someone else made the previous ones.

Bethesda is just being an ass. They even said that Interplay still holds the rights to sell their damn games, so why are they bitching?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
Because Interplay are a clown show. Fallout is their only property, it's all they can make money from, so they'll push their luck with the terms of their contract with Bethesda as far as possible.
Fail-point

Baldur's Gate.

clzark

Aug 21, 2009
matsugawa said:
To Bethesda i say, "Bite the hand that feeds you much?"

I feel so bad for Interplay; their entire licensing agreement hinges on the chance they're taking developing an MMO into a rather saturated market (talk about "do or die"). 2 years is quite a short time to put even a single-player game together, let alone one that's massively multiplayer. Now Bethesda is breathing down their throat because they're selling the games that made them who they are in the first place (among other titles, like Icewind Dale) on the grounds that consumers will confuse not the two sets of games, but the two developers. It's not like Bethesda has had any trouble fleshing out an identity for themselves with the Elder Scrolls games and all, so why are they worried about Interplay releasing its own games?

I have now lost all respect for Bethesda.
this. bethesda has been my favorite company since they made Oblivion...but now they are just looking like royal douche-bags. what's really annoying is that they don't need anymore money/licenses/deveolpment rights/whatever the hell they're sueing for. they could make DMC for fallout 3 and oblivion for a few more years without doing much more else and still bring in a large profit. hell, they could get goin on elder scrolls 5. I agree with what everyone's been sayin: bethesda was impressed with how well fallout 3 did, and now they want to be the poster boy of the fallout series

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
No_Remainders said:
GloatingSwine said:
Fail-point

Baldur's Gate.
Interplay haven't been able to release a Baldur's Gate game since they lost the D&D license to Atari just before they folded. They produced the originals, but they can't make any more money from it. Fallout, on the other hand, is all theirs.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Zeithri said:
No this was a stupid move on Interplay's part because the terms of their agreement was that Interplay show Bethesda the packaging and who they sell it to before they sell it. Interplay did neither of these things and must pay the consequences.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
JaredXE said:
Who the hell would be confused? Even the people who only started on Fallout 3 are intelligent enough to understand the concept that Bethesda made the third game while someone else made the previous ones.

Bethesda is just being an ass. They even said that Interplay still holds the rights to sell their damn games, so why are they bitching?
Because they agreed on a contract, Interplay failed to uphold the contract. It's as simple as that