Bethesda Teams Up With Carlsberg UK For a Fallout Beer

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Bethesda Teams Up With Carlsberg UK For a Fallout Beer

A way to relax after a post-apocalyptic day.

Bethesda has teamed up with Carlsberg UK to create a Fallout beer. Bruce Ray, Carlsberg UK's corporate affairs director, told MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/if-carslberg-did-fallout-beer-it-would-probably-be-available-to-buy-on-amazon/0157944] that the Fallout beer, now available to order on Amazon UK, was "inspired by Vault-Tec Industries and the multi-award winning Fallout videogame series".

"This is something of a world-first," Ray said. "Adult participation in video gaming is a truly social activity, on a par with cinema and music. We're proud to work with Bethesda to produce a beer Fallout fans can enjoy."

A case of 12 330ml bottles of the beer can be pre-ordered on Amazon UK [http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016XZVE96] now for £29.99, and orders are scheduled to ship November 5. According the the description, the beer will be "a light colored pilsner lager, with a refreshing zesty hoppy taste and a floral aroma," and will be brewed using "a unique blend of malted barleys combined with selected hops."

Unfortunately for me, there is no US delivery.

Fallout 4 releases a few days later on November 10 - making this a very interesting way to ensure that people aren't drinking and driving. Fallout 4 live action trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142606-Fallout-4-No-Xbox-Exclusive-DLC].

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
GaaawwdDDAMMIT! If they can make a freaking Fallout beer then Coca Cola or Pepsi should be able to make a Nuka Cola!

I mean, if they wouldn't mind.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I don't like beer. I'm more of a cider man.

But I want to try this...

*investigates pre-order*

Probably won't buy it, but who knows. I think the Pip-Boy edition's speedy disappearance is making me want things just to have them.

That said...£2.50 a bottle...could be much worse.

I don't even like beer. I should wait for Nuka-Cola. Speaking of which...ever wondered what Nuka-Cola Quantum might taste like? Or Quartz? Or Victory? Or an Atomic Cocktail? Hmmmmmm...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Headsprouter said:
Like 4 % Vol? This is fucking American beer. Even Carlsberg's drinks are at least 5%, beer isn't even good till 6%> imo.

Hell, we're paying for the name alone and not the alcohol content.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Heh, I'm not paying almost 50+ USD (more with shipping due to weight!) for 12 beers..I'll just buy more Saranac Pumpkin Ale 32oz (946mL) jugs and 24oz (709mL) Redd's Black Cherry hard ale cans with that sort of money and get my money's worth in volume.

46.02 USD for a 12 pack is overpriced to high hell and the fact it's not shipping to the US makes it even worse for adult Fallout fans over here as a good chunk of the fanbase is in North America alone.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Okay now this marketing is just getting stupid.
The shirts and the game collections I could see, even things like watches, sure, but beer? This doesn't even look like the beer you find in Fallout. Don't waste your money people.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
Beer is gross, though. =( They should've went with Cola instead. Such a missed opportunity too, since I'm in the UK.

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
You know, the first thing I thought when I saw it was inspired by Vault-Tec was that it was going to be a delicious combination of LSD and speed, with a single twelve pack sitting in the middle of a locked room full of recovering alcoholics. Because that is the Vault-Tec way.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Wow, it's literally just "Fallout Beer".

If they really wanted to create a licensed drink they could have at least made one that's actually in the game, like Nuka-Cola or Sunset Sasparilla. This just seems lazy, all they did is shove the word Fallout onto some random bottles of beer. I bet it's not even radioactive.

Disappointing.

Aug 31, 2012
HOW fucking much?!...£30 for 12 330ml of 4% beer? Jesus H Christ, I can get 12 500ml decent beers/ales/stouts etc for exactly half that at the local bloody shop.

Fall Out? Fuck Off more like.

BayouStalker said:
it was going to be a delicious combination of LSD and speed
Ok, that would have been worth it.

sanamia

Jul 6, 2013
Looks at beer price in article, looks at beer next to keyboard. Ehm 12*330 thats like 4litres or 8 normal sized beer bottles...
So eh 7,20? worth of a normal beer just normal beer is at least 5%.
6 times more for a watered down beer with a fancy sticker??? Nope.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Ugh no...

I was interested in this when I first heard of it, but then I noticed that it was brewed by Carlsberg, purveyors of weak, fizzy, flavourless pisswater and my interest instantly disappeared. If only they had got a brewery on board that knew something about brewing a decent beer...if only.

Also, £30 for 12 bottles? Fuck off you money grabbing cunts.

gizmo2300

Jul 10, 2009
Catfood220 said:
Ugh no...

I was interested in this when I first heard of it, but then I noticed that it was brewed by Carlsberg, purveyors of weak, fizzy, flavourless pisswater and my interest instantly disappeared. If only they had got a brewery on board that knew something about brewing a decent beer...if only.

Also, £30 for 12 bottles? Fuck off you money grabbing cunts.
That really depends, their normal supermarket shit is definitely pisswater. Their sistercompany Tuborg does this great one called Golden Tuborg though.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
So ... it's just weak, over-priced beer with the name Fallout written on the label? I don't even understand this from a rabid fanboy perspective. If it were something like Nuka-Cola, or Sunset Sarsaparilla, I could understand the novelty of buying them, and even collecting the bottles afterwards as an ornament on par with any other videogame merchandise. But this?
Is anyone else reminded of the way they put characters from children's entertainment on cereal boxes? Well, this is just that for adults.

What next, am I going to be buying the limited edition Mass Effect brand peanut butter? Perhaps some Metro 2033 brand yoghurt, or maybe some BioShock brand rubber gloves? The possibilities are as endless as they are pointless.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
mad825 said:
Headsprouter said:
Like 4 % Vol? This is fucking American beer. Even Carlsberg's drinks are at least 5%, beer isn't even good till 6%> imo.

Hell, we're paying for the name alone and not the alcohol content.
This is the first time I've seen someone rate beer based on abv alone. I'm no expert, but I know for sure that there are some respectable, tasty beers that are really low in alcohol. Session beers, right?

Or are session beers just supposed to be cheaper? If so, I didn't know.

Note that I am absolutely not excited by this announcement, however!

sanamia

Jul 6, 2013
visiblenoise said:
This is the first time I've seen someone rate beer based on abv alone. I'm no expert, but I know for sure that there are some respectable, tasty beers that are really low in alcohol. Session beers, right?

Or are session beers just supposed to be cheaper? If so, I didn't know.

Note that I am absolutely not excited by this announcement, however!
Yes and no, the usual supermarket standard beer here has 5% below that is more like cola-beer or light beer. Or we just call it piss-water.
A lot of exquisite beers are above 6% some of my favorites are above 10%. Those are flavorful delicate beers that you'll gladly pay 4-5 times more for just because of the taste.

It could be possible to make a good beer with a low alcohol volume... Just after drinking all kinds of beers across Europe I've never encountered something with less than 5% that didn't fit the description watered down.

and 5% is the run of the mill I still have to drive beer.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Expensive, but I might bite. Not sure though, since it's memorabilia that can very easily break

pacouranga

Oct 8, 2015
They really ought to just bring back Pepsi Blue and call it Nuka Cola Quantum. Hell, I'd buy a case.

Daniel Peters

Mar 17, 2010
It is called Fallout beer? How long did that name take them? Should have called it Fallstout! If carlsberg did puns they might have
to put some effort in.