Bethesda Teases Impending DOOM Gameplay Reveal

Blacklight28

Nov 27, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Granted, the video's nothing to go by, and, this being Bethesda, the game will almost assuredly have an abysmal PC version, but it feels.....good to see Doom again. It just feels right.
Bethesda's only publishing it. id are the ones actually making the game.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Blacklight28 said:
Bethesda's only publishing it. id are the ones actually making the game.
I am aware. But the same can be said of Rage.

And we know how that turned out...

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
MonsterCrit said:
GarouxBloodline said:
What you are proposing, is circular logic. You dismiss hard evidence, in favour of your own bias, by saying "Doom 3 was a failure, because I said so." I like Doom 3. Am I going to state that it is a good game, as a fact? No; I would prefer sticking to the hard statistics, as to whether or not gamer favour has validated its existence. And they have.
Then again.. we hit the Blair Witch scenario. It made lots of money... was it a Good Film? Twilight Made lots of MOney... Was it a Good FIlm?

Also My logic isn't circular. You don't seem to understand how opinions work. I judge DOom3 A failure because it failed to entertain me. For a product designed for the purpose of entertainment, that's a pretty big flaw. This is compounded by the fact that it's hard to fail at making a good DOom Game... Demons over here.. YOu here, Guns over there... Have fun.

I mean It would not have taken much to top the last Doom Game. Yet somehow we didn't get DOom. We got a System Shock 2/ Dead Space wannabe.
1. There are billions of people in this world, and millions upon millions of those people, are gamers in some form/fashion. Just because YOU were failed to be entertained, does not mean that the game was a failure in any definition of the term. And while you can play semantics with me, and say that you are only stating your opinion, does not detract from you clearly coming onto this forum, and going gung-ho in your agenda to talk crap about id/Bethesda/Doom 3/DOOM.

2. Did you seriously just compare Doom 3, a FPS, to SSII, a RPG?

3. Did you just say that Doom 3 is a Dead Space wannabe, even though Doom 3 came out before Dead Space was even first thought up? These last two points of yours are some serious strawmen.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
GarouxBloodline said:
Making some pretty grandiose assumptions, there: never did I ever say that I did not understand or accept your opinion. In-fact, I quite clearly stated that with the millions upon millions of gamers, that of course there are going to be those that do not like certain games due to their personal tastes. The reason why I am arguing with you, is because you seem quite content with attempting to smear the studio, and the games they have made - in no way are you simply stating an opinion.
But of course if I were fawning and praising the studio.. you'd have no issue would you? As for Smear.. I said nothing against Bethesda, just that given the lAst Doom game and the fact they're resorting to another reboot more or less says that the game is being done as a glorified tech demo much like Doom3 which sadly didn't do so well even as a tech demo. Seriously the Cry, Unreal, Source and Unity engines have all seen more uptake.

Had they opted to do a sequel to the previous they might have earned some brownie points since it shows a level of commitment to the narrative and to actually building a franchise. Something even DN4E managed. They could have gone the lazy retcon approach but nope they had the stones to stick to a narrative. Doom3 while not great was at least committed to something. But now to again do a retcon for the sake of being able to trot out the same set pieces again.

Were you around when System Shock II was first released? That game was the defining moment for RPG games in general, and was the stepping stone used for modern variations outside of P&P. If you honestly consider SSII more of a FPS than a RPG, and that it can be directly compared to Doom 3, then that is pretty telling of your knowledge regarding the etymology of games.
Hah hah.. Son; I was around when System Shock 1 came out. *That* was an RPG game with FPS elements. SS2 was an FPS Game with RPG elements in that it had the skill trees and such and honestly it wasn't the best. As said Deus Ex did a much better job and matching the leveling mechanics as well as story telling. Strife which came out some time before while lacking in the skill tree department did have a more RPG-esque narrative structure.

So yeah. I was there when System Shock 2 was new, I bought it when it was new and I played when it was new. It was an FPS with RPG elements. Unless you're arguing that a game where the is from the First Person perspective and the primary form of conflict mitigation is via shooting is not an FPS.

Not that SS2 was a bad game mind you. I enjoyed the heck out of it but it was not as polished as Deus Ex.

As for the rest of what you say, it is borderline trolling - you obviously came here with an agenda, as you have given no indication of accepting critique, or even proper debate. Especially that last part - nice ad hominem.
Mmm hmm.. Yes I have an Agenda. I'm from the MGS lobby here to sabotage and derail public opinion of this venerated franchise. Puh-lease. As I said: FInd an Ice pack and sit on it.

-Datura-

Nov 21, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
Mmm hmm.. Yes I have an Agenda. I'm from the MGS lobby here to sabotage and derail public opinion of this venerated franchise. Puh-lease. As I said: FInd an Ice pack and sit on it.
I dunno about your agenda, but you're certainly a narcissist. I get no pleasure from modern fighting games, certainly not enough to learn the ridiculous combos required to be 'competitive'. But what sense would it make for me to make grand declarations about Street Fighter or Tekken being "failures" because they didnt scratch my particular itch? 'Cause that's what you're doing here. You're one guy screaming into the wind, get over yourself.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
-Datura- said:
MonsterCrit said:
I dunno about your agenda, but you're certainly a narcissist. I get no pleasure from modern fighting games, certainly not enough to learn the ridiculous combos required to be 'competitive'. But what sense would it make for me to make grand declarations about Street Fighter or Tekken being "failures" because they didnt scratch my particular itch? 'Cause that's what you're doing here. You're one guy screaming into the wind, get over yourself.
Why are you still talking. Move on with your... oh right I get it. Carry on then.

-Datura-

Nov 21, 2009
...he says, spending his Saturday talking shit on a message board. Achtung baby, It Crowd in tha house!