Bethesda Unveils $200 DOOM Miniature Collection

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Bethesda Unveils $200 DOOM Miniature Collection

DOOM's classic hand-crafted miniatures have been re-released for a wonderfully terrifying collector's set.

Not everyone agrees about the merits of id Software's latest games, but it still knocked the ball out of the park with DOOM. In the early 90s, DOOM and DOOM II practically defined the FPS genre, and perhaps even gaming on the whole, thanks to over-the-top action gameplay and iconic monster designs. Sure, those sprites may look dated today, but if you'd purchased an id-licensed collectible by Reaper Miniatures at the time, you'd have seen a creature that was both wonderful and terrifying to behold. Perhaps that's why Bethesda, in an ideal example of cashing in on nostalgia, has re-released the entire miniature line as a collector's set for new generations of fans.

The complete package includes 15 hand cast figures based on the original DOOM sprites, ranging from your common Imp to the Arachnotron. Each mini was created from the same molds as the Reaper Miniatures edition, the only change being an updated base stamp confirming the new version. It's unclear whether the miniature monsters are represented to scale compared with the games, but that Cyberdemon still towers menacingly over the Space Marine, so I doubt few will complain.

The only real downside to this set is its price; prospective buyers need to put down $200 for the entire collection, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127038-Sony-Confirms-Vita-Price-Cut>which is the same price as a PlayStation Vita these days. That said, the original Reaper Miniatures were never offered as a complete set like this, so collectors don't have to worry about tracking down individual figures. Be warned, however, that Bethesda's re-release is very much a limited edition, so you should hurry if you want some pewter demons of your very own.

[gallery=1723]

Source: Bethesda Store

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Not a DOOM fan, but I can see fans catching onto this. Hope the people who get it enjoy it.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
It's kinda funny seeing all the details in the pewter models that you'd never pick up on in the games (like the demons having robotic legs with a metal hoof, that's pretty cool, but I never saw that in the original pixel sprite)

I wouldn't mind a little miniature Doom marine for my desk, if I was going to pick any game character, it would probably be him.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
It's kinda funny seeing all the details in the pewter models that you'd never pick up on in the games (like the demons having robotic legs with a metal hoof, that's pretty cool, but I never saw that in the original pixel sprite)
You never noticed the cyberdemon was a cyborg...?

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Im not trying to be annoying, but why are people into statues and figurines?

Im a pretty committed gamer but i could never understand why people paid 150 euros for the collectors edition of skyrim when most of the cost was taken up by the dragon statue.

Fallout 3 had a GAME exclusive with a brotherhood of steel figure as opposed to the lunchbox with artwork and dvd edition.

Gears of war 3 limited collectors edition and epic edition (i own a limited collectors) the main difference was the figurine of marcus and the price difference was ?40!!

This particular collection for $200 seems... well excessive.

Im not trying to belittle anyone's hobby here, i just don't quite get it is all. why is a statue or figurine worth so much

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Fanghawk said:
The complete package includes 15 hand cast figures based on the original DOOM sprites, ranging from your common Imp to the Spider Mastermind.
That isn't a Spider Mastermind. It's an Arachnotron. You can tell because it has a plasma gun rather than the super-chaingun and the face looks a bit different.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Well, I knew it had a gun grafted to it's forearm, but I didn't realize it also had a metal leg complete with metal hoof, the original pixel-y graphics didn't display that really well, plus I was usually preoccupied trying to blast them in the head with a shotgun.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Well, I knew it had a gun grafted to it's forearm, but I didn't realize it also had a metal leg complete with metal hoof, the original pixel-y graphics didn't display that really well, plus I was usually preoccupied trying to blast them in the head with a shotgun.

It made kind of a metal sound when it walked.
Doom 3 really put the cyber in cyberdemon

OT: That's pretty cool, not $200 cool but pretty damn cool.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
miniatures were always a money hole anyway, so it's an...acquired taste

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Can I just pay $20 bucks for a Spider Mastermind? I really want the Spider Mastermind... *puppy eyes*

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
That's awesome that Reaper is involved with it, I had totally forgotten they did those minis way back when. They're both companies local to the DFW area, so that's great they were working together even then.

That being said, I've spent more than my fair share of money on Reaper minis over the years, and I'm a much bigger fan of their new 'Bones' plastic minis, so I'll have to pass on these!

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
$200 for metal cast miniatures is actually pretty good, $13-14 each isn't bad value. Plastic and resin miniatures often go for $5-10 each, those Doom ones look fairly detailed too. Not everyones cup of tea of course, I can see why a PS Vita or putting the cash towards a next gen console/PC parts is more appealing. I wouldn't want a bunch of Doom miniatures either, would be fun to paint but its a lot of money just for that.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
SpAc3man said:
Fanghawk said:
The complete package includes 15 hand cast figures based on the original DOOM sprites, ranging from your common Imp to the Spider Mastermind.
That isn't a Spider Mastermind. It's an Arachnotron. You can tell because it has a plasma gun rather than the super-chaingun and the face looks a bit different.
You are correct. Fixed!