Bethesda Unveils Fallout 3 Survival Edition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bethesda Unveils Fallout 3 Survival Edition

Amazon.com [http://www.bethsoft.com/].

Describe as the "ultimate Fallout 3 package," the Survival Edition of the game will feature all the bonus goodies of the regular Collector's Edition, including a metal Vault-Tec lunch box package, a five-inch Vault Boy bobblehead doll, a hardcover art book and a "Making of Fallout 3" dvd. Sweetening the deal even further is the addition of a life-sized replica of the Pip-Boy 3000, the wrist-worn multipurpose device used by characters in the game. The detailed recreation won't be wearable, but will instead serve as an attractive yet functional post-nuclear digital clock.

"We're thrilled to be working with Amazon.com on this exclusive edition," said Bethesda Softworks President Vlatko Andonov. "The Survival Edition offers gamers the unique opportunity to own a piece of videogame history along with a collection of limited edition items - it's the definitive Fallout 3 package."

"This is an exciting day for Amazon customers and Fallout fans," added Greg Hart, Amazon's Vice President of Videogames and Software. "We're delighted to be the exclusive destination for Fallout 3 Survival Edition; this is a great example of the continually expanding selection we offer to gamers."

The catch? While the standard Fallout 3 release will retail for $59.99 and the Collector's Edition is $69.99, the Fallout 3 Survival Edition is currently available for pre-order at $129.99 - not the gentlest thing you'll ever do to your wallet in the pursuit of a game. Those undeterred by sticker shock can learn more and place their pre-orders at Amazon.com's Fallout 3 page [http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000233051].

Fallout 3 is currently slated for release in fall 2008 on the PC, fallout.bethsoft.com [http://www.xbox.com].

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Can you imagine the hours the marketing team spent deciding whether to include the word 'sexy' in that package?

"What could we say that is really gonna sell this stuff, I mean seriously turn some heads."
"It's a bomb?"
"No...already tried that. Lets just do sexy instead."

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fall out 3: Survival edition

"It'll really blow your mind"
(and your bank account, and your social life, actually it'll just blow...)

Imagine trying to get one of those through an airport.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The "sexy" part was all me, man.

I'm torn over this. On one hand, that is a sweet frikkin' clock, and I'm a huge sucker for that kind of extraneous videogame knick-knack. I buy collector's editions pretty much whenever I can because I just can't get enough of that stuff, and the Survival Edition looks like it might have the juice to unseat Neverwinter Nights as the OMFG MOST AWESOMEST COLLECTOR'S EDITION EVER.

On the other hand, 130 bucks. Images of Deeply Displeased Girlfriend loom large.

And let's face it, even without a supremely pissed-off spouse in the picture, you'd have to be pretty damned hardcore and/or flush with disposable income to spring for this. I'm sure a lot of people will buy it, but I'm equally sure a hell of a lot more people will cry silent, bitter tears into their pillows at night and then order the standard collector's edition.

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
I think really it's a case of "Fallout 3: Survival Edition - Because you really fucking love Fallout, man."

Collector's Ed. should be enough for most I'd think, unless, as Malygris said, you're super hardcore or have a comfortable income without enough to spend it on.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Man, the Halo 3 Legendary Edition seems to have set a precedent.

I'm with Malygris, that's a sweet clock. According to GameStop, the regular collector's edition comes with everything BUT the clock, so essentially you'll be dropping the extra $50 down on the clock alone. In the end, I'll just pay the $70-$80 for the collector's edition.

....I could use a new clock, though....

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Do they say what the alarm sound is? That'd be awesome if the buzzer was Louis Armstrong's 'Give Me a Kiss to Build a Dream On'.

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
Well, why don't I just take my money and stuff it in the fucking toilet?

Don't be a dickhead.

Buy the regular edition of the game, and then buy something nice for your mom if you've got another $75 burning a hole in your pocket.

Or, for $75, I'll come to your house and glue your alarm clock to a car battery for you.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
There is actually people who would buy this?

Oh well, how does that saying go? "A fool and his money..."

Edit:
You know what would be really interesting? If a Collector's edition or whatever they want to call it came with a Fallout themed survival gear, now that would make a far more tempting and heck, possibly even practical, purchase of one's expendable income.

Want an idea of what is really useful to spend that extra income on? Check out what was linked to in a recent Escapist article (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_152/4947-You-Are-What-Eats-You), Zombie Squad: http://zombiehunters.org/

Then find the Bug Out Bag. The beginnings of a proper BoB themed after Fallout and a donation to disaster relief would be very cool, not this nick knack crap.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Oh FFS, I got access denied o_O POS...

Yeah I love Fallout with vehemence so this is sorta a kick in the balls. What the hell am I going to do with half of that? They could at least put some effort into the Pipboy 2000. Myabe some touch screen malarky and some fan pleasing rubbish. Comes with extra content? Come on gimme SOMETHING. This is just mediocre at best.

Again I feel deeply insulted being a long time fan of the entire fallout series, that I got access denied. 17! I'm freaking 17! Why not just give me nappy change and send me off to play Bob the Builders exciting adventure in blocks. Bloody hell ¬_¬ Can anyone tell me who can get onto the forsaken site now, whats so gorey that my frail 17 year old mind cannot contain it?

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I have the Collector's Edition preordered. The bobblehead will go on my desk at work. I may start bringing my lunch more often just to use the lunch box.

If the clock were an alarm clock, I'd be tempted to switch, despite the ridiculous price. I'd also hope the alarm sounded like air sirens - you know, to warn us of the impending nuclear apocalypse.

It would be nice if the Survival Edition took a page out of the Jedi Knight book and included something like the Fallout Collection [http://www.amazon.com/Global-Software-Publishing-Fallout-Collection/dp/B000IGE78M] in the package as well. I'm pretty sure Bethesda owns all the rights now, so they'd really just need to prepare and print the DVD. The old games run perfectly fine, even on Vista.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Virgil said:
It would be nice if the Survival Edition took a page out of the Jedi Knight book and included something like the Fallout Collection [http://www.amazon.com/Global-Software-Publishing-Fallout-Collection/dp/B000IGE78M] in the package as well. I'm pretty sure Bethesda owns all the rights now, so they'd really just need to prepare and print the DVD. The old games run perfectly fine, even on Vista.
Problem with that is, and I feel like I'm just opening up a whole world of hurt here, is that people grabbing the console version may not benefit from that. While it's not like Fallout is going to require much in the way of hardware, I guarantee you'll still find people that have problems with it. And unlike what Quake 4's collector edition did with Quake 2, you can't really port those games to console well. Not to mention you never know if your Xbox or PS3 owner is actually running a Mac for a computer.

So ultimately, I don't think that would work unless you have something you can include with the console version.

As for me, I think I'm going to have to preorder the Fallout 3 Collector's Edition. I just don't have the money to spend on a Pip-Boy clock, even ignoring the fact that it is overpriced. However, while I have no real place to put the lunch box, I can always give it to my niece (not long before she's old enough to go to school), the bobblehead should make an amusing decoration for anywhere, and I LOVE concept art and making-of DVD's. Any look into the game industry is well wanted from me.

So yeah, Collector's Edition, here I come.

P.S.: Thanks for the heads up that the originals work on Vista still. I never got to play very far into Fallout 2, and after doing some research to make sure your claim was true, ordered it off of Amazon. Still haven't managed to touch the first Fallout, but for some reason I have no interest since people talk more about Fallout 2 than any of the others.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Everyone should save all the extra dollars they would spend on these special editions, and then use this collected dollar amount to buy a real piece of artwork from the artist forced to design this crap for a living.

The reason there are starving artists is because people would rather spend $120 dollars on a mass-produced kitschy plastic clock, whose design was based on a focus group study, than a carefully crafted piece of artwork representing someone's vision.