Bethesda's Todd Howard Baffled By Facebook Gaming

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its all housewives and teens with nothing better to do, and, not willing to go out and play a proper game!

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
The Zynga games are just so boring, yet loads of people play them. Like Todd, I guess I just don't find the appeal.

Anyway, who's up for an announcement at Quakecon!

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
As every person said before, somebody who played games back in the 80's and play this now is not impressive to older gamers but to someone new, it's impressive to them.

Most likely that contributed it's success would happen to be 1) Simplicity and 2) Massive social networking for free.

However, seems that Zygna happens to copy and paste their games and rename it something else.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Mr. Howard, I advise you sit down and spend a few hours playing a game from the Harvest Moon franchise. Specifically Harvest Moon 64, it won't take long for you to understand the addictive nature of taking care of a virtual farm.(I almost shit a brick when a typhoon blew my green-house away) Is it going to make you want to pick up FarmVille? God willing, no, but it will give you that understanding you desire.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
What do you expect? Bethesda is famous for its massive, sprawling games of exploration. Facebook just doesn't allow for that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Of course he doesn't get it; most of us don't bloody get it!

Our market and that market are two very different things, I wish people from our side of it would stop banging on about it. Especially the morons that say it's the future of PC gaming.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I've tried them, ranted on them in another thread, and I don't play Facebook games for the same reason I don't play a lot of games, they're too simple and limited. However, lots of people love simple and limited, but you had to get the games to them. With FB, you've created an environment that is about as mass market as you can get, and thus it makes a perfect simple game delivery system.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
I'm baffled as to how it's even called gaming. They're not games, they're exercises in tedium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odBDAcOEKuI

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
People I know play facebook games who would never have even looked at their computer before..... I mean we all start some place right, give them some time and we'll have em motoring throguh levels in cod on veteran in no time ;D