Bethesda's Todd Howard Says Elder Scrolls VI is "A Long Way Off"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Bethesda's Todd Howard Says Elder Scrolls VI is "A Long Way Off"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329439.jpgIf you're looking forward to the newest Elder Scrolls game, you may have a long wait ahead of you.

Now that Fallout 4 is nearing the completion of its DLC, Bethesda fans are thinking of one thing: a new Elder Scrolls game. While there will certainly be another game in the series, it may be some time before we see it come to fruition, according to comments made by Bethesda's Todd Howard.

Speaking to IGN's Geoff Keighley [http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/13/e3-2016-bethesda-is-working-on-the-elder-scrolls-6], Howard said that the next Elder Scrolls game was "kind of like the elephant in the room always when we talk about anything. And I think it's good in these moments to tell our fans, 'Yes, of course we are. It's something we love.' But it is-you know, I have to be careful what I say-it's a very long way off."

Also interesting was Howard's statement that the company is working on two other projects. "And we actually have two other large projects we're also doing that are bigger than anything we've done," Howard said. "People will probably hear about those probably even before Elder Scrolls VI. And that'll make sense many years from now."

It's no surprise that there's another game in the Elder Scrolls series being discussed. After all, it's one of the most successful series in the history of the industry, and Bethesda won't let that go. I'm just curious as to what those two other projects could be.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
No clue what the other two projects could be. A new IP? When was the last time Beth started a franchise?

As for TES, considering the time frame I hope this means they're making a new engine from the ground up. The old one needs to be left to die. Fallout 4 perfectly exemplified this.

Hopefully a new engine means less bugs, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Street Halo

Jun 7, 2016
Fappy said:
As for TES, considering the time frame I hope this means they're making a new engine from the ground up. The old one needs to be left to die. Fallout 4 perfectly exemplified this.
This.

I've just started playing Far Harbor after finishing Blood and Wine and the difference is stark, Fallout 4 (even on a decent PC) is one ugly looking game compared to The Witcher 3.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fappy said:
File that under L for LOL.

Someone at Bethesda has an insect fetish, that's the only explanation for all those bugs I can think of.

As for the time frame, sounds awfully like Shamus' somewhat tongue in cheek prediction came perfectly true.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Hey, maybe they can actually put some RPG in the next one, then.

I jest, I jest (sort of, though Skyrim is to date the only Bethesda game I've been able to get into). I just watched an in-depth critique of Fallout 3 the other day which highlighted the differences in writing between the first two Fallout games and 3, and it really was rather remarkable just how much... well, more of actual substance was present in the original titles.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
That's a shame, because it's been a few years now. Still, I can understand some people's gripes about how Fallout 4 (Great as it is) is barely a step up from Skyrim.
I'm just ready for more in this universe.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bethesda is bad at keeping secrets. Skyrim was trademarked like, 2 years before it was announced, and their methods since well, Arena, is they are *always* working on a TES game. Hell, it blew my mind that fucking Redguard announced Oblivion before Morrowind even came out.

I wonder if they are just trying to pull a Fallout 4, so they can be like "TESVI is coming!....tomorrow! Sure, that may be a couple years from now, but still.

Also maybe cause every console maker is making 100 consoles before this generation that is still referred to by some as "next-gen" is apparently already outdating itself, maybe they just want a solid console generation to work with.

I know they already know what area it will be set in, just tell me that so I can tell you what I want.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
On the one hand, the sheer amount of irons in the fire they have right now makes that claim utterly believable.

On the other hand, they have lied about development progress to make the release announcement a surprise before.

So on balance, I'll expect it to be released 2020 or so, and hope to be surprised.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Given that I think Skyrim was disappointing (but good overall) and I couldn't stand Fallout 4 I can't say I'm too sad.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Fappy said:
No clue what the other two projects could be. A new IP? When was the last time Beth started a franchise?

probably paid mods shit and attempt at fallout MMO to replace failed TES MMO.

I too hope they are remaking new engine from the grounds up. Heck, they dont even have to do it. They own ID Tech 5 game engine. Just use that, its a million times better than Gamebryo.

Zydrate said:
That's a shame, because it's been a few years now. Still, I can understand some people's gripes about how Fallout 4 (Great as it is) is barely a step up from Skyrim.
you mean a step down.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Well, with the reception to Fallout 4 it's clear that they HAVE to make a new engine for first-person exploration games. A TES VI with iterations on Creation from FO4 would not be enough of a leap to satiate people with the robotic animations and the pervasive level of jank that has built up over the years. They've also got to see how the new half-step consoles play out, how they can do mods on them, and what advances they can have on the "walk anywhere you want and pick up everything that isn't nailed down" formula. My preference would be to focus on the dialog and social roleplay situation, but with FO4 being already leagues behind Bioware's work on that front they have a lot of work to do. Take your time lads.

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
mythgraven said:
Bull. I'd bet a five dollar bill it's almost done.
The fallout team and the elder scrolls team share many key members so they havent had a huge amount of time to work on it

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Fair enough, it's certainly high time, if not past time, to develop a new engine, and that takes time. Not sure what this new stuff is suppose to be though.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Of course the next Elder Scrolls is ages away, Bethesda still have to finish scamming console players into buying Skyrim again before they can announce it.