Betrayal

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Sweet! I love XP; it gives Yahtz a chance to get into deeper stuff or more general gaming concepts than in ZP.

And yes, I am completely sick and tired of it, too, Mister Croshaw; the industry can do better, or could if it wanted to. Great writing is hard, but bad writing isn't hard to avoid, and that's what sucks about getting this kind of dross foisted on you: they just didn't care enough to do better.

SimplyTheWest

Jan 6, 2009
He does have a point, almost every game has atleast one of these betrayals, which makes you think the heroes are a little bit thick for following them?

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
I hated the betrayal in the first assassins creed game, I knew from the start that Altair's leader was evil.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Oddly enough, as you bring up Plan 9, I think even Criswell could predict a lot of the betrayals that come in today's games, not to mention the fact that people still won't shut up about you not covering multiplayer in your reviews.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Sadly, this particular sin is not limited to video games. If any movie, television show, commercial, music video, or ring tone introduces more than one character/voice, I immediately assume that one of them is going to betray the other. If one of those characters/voices is the mentor of the other ... well, it's usually not worth watching/listening any further.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
I'll bring up another betrayal twist, this time from The World Ends With You, and from a slightly different perspective.

In the second half of the game, Neku starts seeing flashbacks to when he was still alive by reading the mind of his partner Joshua. After several tries, he sees Joshua shoot him and goes the rest of the week believing this, having no choice but to keep him alive, otherwise he'll lose the Reaper's Game. Right before fighting the Game Master, he sees another flashback, this time going even further, seeing that the Game Master for that week himself killing Neku, and Joshua had shot the Game Master, suggesting that Joshua had tried to save him.

After Neku returns for week 3, he finds more and more evidence that one of the characters he had trusted for the entire game was the Composer, the ruler of Underground, and decides that the only way to come back to life, is to kill him. But when he arrives at his chamber, he finds that it was not him at all, and after defeating the Conductor, or head Reaper, he found that Joshua was the Composer all along, and Neku had been used to defeat the Conductor in an entirely new game, where the Conductor was trying to save Shibuya from being disposed of by Joshua. Not only that, but the flashback is completed, and it is revealed that Joshua had killed Neku to get him into the Underground. The character, who you had not only trusted for 2/3 of the game, but had been toying with the concept of being a traitor or not, had been using you, and turned the entire storyline on its head.

Its not a particularly unique twist, I'm sure its been done before at its core, but I felt it was very well executed.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
hahaha, yeah, that is the worst part of every mario game. such a shame, too.

but i remember that being the end result of the game crackdown. excellent game, and i suppose it's an interesting twist, but seriously? really? that's how you end the game? wtf. i'd like a real ending, or maybe some last mission where you take on the damned agency. if anything it's a cheap sequel setup, and i do not approve.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
I'm not so sure if Infamous is a good example. It looks like what happens there is not so much an outright betrayal as it is a really stupid split-second decision that the character in question makes, regrets soon afterward, and ultimately tries to correct.

Or in other words I think it's more of a tragic mistake than a betrayal.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
craddoke said:
Sadly, this particular sin is not limited to video games. If any movie, television show, commercial, music video, or ring tone introduces more than one character/voice, I immediately assume that one of them is going to betray the other. If one of those characters/voices is the mentor of the other ... well, it's usually not worth watching/listening any further.
That's not Genre Savvy, that's being a pessimist.

Canus

Feb 15, 2010
I'd like to see someone actually track down where all the betrayal crap started. There must've been some game that did it so well that everyone decided to copy it, and it sure as hell wasn't KotOR II.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
To challenge your point: But, but but...Jade Empire? I thought it was pretty smart the way they handled the "betrayal twist". Although, I don't know if you already played it.

However, I'm interested in knowing what's a good twist for you.