Beware Gamers: Fast Reflexes Means Short Sex

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Beware Gamers: Fast Reflexes Means Short Sex

Men who have quick reaction speed, like gamers or athletes, may be genetically predisposed to premature ejaculation.

When you're racing in F-Zero, you have to act fast. If you're manning a turret in a first-person shooter, you need to shoot first and not bother asking questions.

Be wary about taking these same skills into the sack. A study of 181 Dutch men found that those who prematurely ejaculated, about one-third of men, were genetically likely to frost their cake before it was done baking. The hormone serotonin controls the male love juices and is not as active in men with sharper reflexes.

The study compared 89 men with a track record of early releasing against 92 men with no such history. Previous theories about trigger-happy men believed the problem to be psychological.

Paula Hall, a sexual psychotherapist for Relate, said, "Premature ejaculation is definitely not purely psychological. But there can be a psychological element. The acid test is how much control they have on their own. If the problem only occurs with their partner then it is more likely to be psychological."

She described the main victims of this quick sex problem: "These men have very quick reflexes. They may be excellent at playing tennis or computer games, for example."

There may be hope yet for gaming guys; the issue is treatable with anti-depressants and other drugs that delay ejaculation.

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7657092.stm]

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Semi-psychological, I'd say: The unconscious mind is used to - well - doing things quickly when adrenaline is high, so it approaches sex in the same way, assuming its the same sort of situation. We may not necessarily intend to finish early, but the brain says so.

Does this mean people who keep crashing on racing games can't get it up?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
A study of 181 Dutch men
Important part is bolded. Heck, the thread in gaming discussion with a linked article had the number at 200. Really, 181 people? *That's* their survey group? I'm sorry, but a number has to be at least in the quadruple digits before it starts being even noticeable. A very low triple digit number of surveyed people is pathetic. Poor job BBC, poor job.

the issue is treatable with anti-depressants that delay ejaculation and other drugs.
Wonderful, it's not as if our society was popping enough pills to bloody begin with.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Well, I have a few private anecdotes that can attest otherwise, but whatever you say, news media. :D

Btw, Pyronox: Nice choice of avatar. :3

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
We've been discussing this for days in the Gaming section of the forums. YAY! WE BEAT THE INTERNET!

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I believe it, us gamers want nothing more than to blast someone with our boomstick *COUGH* so we kinda rush into it. What I think this study should also point out though is how few hardcore gamers (ones with fastest reflexs) have alot of sexual experiance?

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Weird...

I don't to know to what point the survey is credible, but it's funny nonetheless. :D

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Don't make a joke
Don't make a joke
Don't make a joke
Man, I bet it sucks to be Adrian Veidt!
Don't make a...DAMMIT!

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Based on these results, I could just as easily reach the conclusion that being Dutch causes premature ejaculation.

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
HSIAMetalKing post=7.73686.804804 said:
Based on these results, I could just as easily reach the conclusion that being Dutch causes premature ejaculation.
Agreed. This is ridiculous. Ask my girlfriend

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Sir_Montague post=7.73686.804826 said:
HSIAMetalKing post=7.73686.804804 said:
Agreed. This is ridiculous. Ask my girlfriend
"Hey, Sir_Montague's girlfriend! What's he like in bed? Is he a quick shot? Slow? Does he satisfy you in all possible ways you could desire? Is he into buttsex?"

Yeeeeeeah, probably better if I don't >_>

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Speed runs for the win.

It makes sense though, we strive to beat things faster...oh, wow, totally didn't mean to say that.

In all seriousness though, I don't think this study is conclusive at all. Though I would love to twist it around and tell people that brag about their gamerscore that they'll never please a woman in bed, science says so.