Beyond Good & Evil Greenlighted for Sequel

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Beyond Good & Evil Greenlighted for Sequel

Ubisoft has confirmed it is greenlighting the sequel to one of the most well-hidden gems of gaming, Beyond Good & Evil.

A surprise teaser trailer was shown at the end of the Ubidays 2008 conference, where Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot presided.

While the game's title was not explicitly declared, the characters of Jade and her pig "uncle" Pey'j were unmistakable. According to Ubisoft, the trailer was created entirely using the in-game engine.

Earlier this month, the game's director, Michel Ancel, confirmed the sequel was in pre-production, but had stressed that the higher-ups at Ubisoft had yet to approve the project.

Beyond Good & Evil was an action-adventure title released in 2003 that featured a powerful story and a female protagonist. Despite rave critical reviews, it was released during a jam-packed holiday season and fared poorly when it came to sales.

Joystiq.com [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/28/beyond-good-and-evil-2-revealed-at-ubidays-2008/]

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
As long as Ancel's at the helm, I'm along for the ride.

From what I've seen of the Ubidays' coverage, Ubisoft has got some really strong upcoming titles. Prince of Persia looks great, although without Mechner god knows if they'll ever have a story that connects with players the way SOT did. Far Cry 2 looks really interesting as well.

NotPigeon

Feb 26, 2008
I'm hoping this is as good as the first one in terms of execution, and I really hope we get to have a plot that actually goes beyond the trope-y confines of good/evil divides.
As a side note, am I the only one who prefers stylized Pey'j? Call me weird, but I find realistic looking man-pigs off putting.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Excellent. I wasn't able to play the first one (sorry, I'll see if I can get it bargain bin), but this still good news.

Somian

May 29, 2008
qbert4ever said:
Great, now my keyboard's all sticky. Ah well, it's worth it.
I played BG&E for about 5 minutes. the keyboard crotrol was just terrible. I don't understand, why they didn't let players conrol such a great game with a gamepad. I mean,it's a game, so why do I ahve to play it with a typing board? its ok for counter-strike, maybe. but that's all. Yes. I bought the game, but I didn't preally play it yet, just because it's almost unplayable with keyboard. THis way, the whole game was just bad for me. I've never seen much of the story, etc. I just tried it, and it played like a counter-strike with a dancing mat. Too bad for the developers, that it didn't sell well, but imho they didn't really deserve it, the designers maybe, the game looked beautuful and the animaions were good. But you just don't notice it, if you can't play the game because they don't let you control it. But the QA didn't do a good job inmyopinion since they didn't notice that the game cannot be played with actual game controllers. I mean, what's the point of cutting this feature? they already mae a cntrol concept for the console version. So why did they cut it out? it makes no sense? did they really think, that PC gamers are just retards that don't know how plug-in a Gamepad and are sitting in their little PC corner with a 15"-screen in front of them? Gamepads for PC aren't more expensive that gamepads for consoles. ok, they can make a dancing-mat fallback, if they think, that some players don't own a gamepad . Bit it's a fault to think, that every PC gamer is playing witha keyboard. I mean, it's just ridiculous. Don't have a gameboard and keypad, I have a keyboard and gamepad.^^

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
argh, the unique take on grammer & lack of paragraphing hurts my brain. Are u saying u cant play games using a keyboard? Crazy

EmperorDude

Apr 30, 2008
Ah I love it when people think they are actually typing intelligently to everyone when they're incomprehensable to everyone BUT themselves.

Somian

May 29, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Are u saying u cant play games using a keyboard? Crazy
No, I'm saying, that I will not play games that are designed to be played with game controllers with the keyboard, just because somebody decided, that nobody is playing with gamepad anyway. And it's sad, that they didn't even finish the first game yet, but announced the sequel. It would be much easier just to finish the first game, and sell it, than to release another unfinished game. Cheaper, at least.

anyway, it's also sad that I cannot look forward to the sequel, because I was unable to play the first game. Yes, of course I could "play" it with keyboard, but what's the point of it, if it can be played much easier and more comfortable with pad? There were other games that played well, so I played them.
Just want to say, that I really liked the style of the first game. Would have been nice if I could ahve played it. (playing == having fun; not trying to struggle through because you paid money for it and now you want to see the end credits)

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Hurrah! Finally, the promise of a half-way decent game for these odious nezt-gen machines. Maybe I will deign to purchase one after all.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I just wish BG&E was playable on my 360; I don't want to dig my old Xbox out of the storage room, dust it off, and try to find an input jack to plug it into my TV again.

Give the buzz, and the coming sequal, it might just be worth finding a used copy and doing the above.

-- Steve