Beyond: Two Souls is Almost Beyond Belief

AJ Glasser

Jun 3, 2013
Beyond: Two Souls is Almost Beyond Belief

David Cage's cinematic experience pushes the boundaries of how we define "play."

Read Full Article

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
It's more like David Cage's cinematic experience pushes the play button to watch a movie.

All I saw was rendered cut scenes from the look of it. Graphics looked too good even for the PS3.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Uhhhhh... it may be time for David Cage to just pack up and go to Hollywood. He had something going with Indigo Prophecy, but it ain't on display here.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I can press play and pause on my dvd, therefore my dvd is a gaming platform considering what David Cage is putting out there as a game.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Uhhhhh... it may be time for David Cage to just pack up and go to Hollywood. He had something going with Indigo Prophecy, but it ain't on display here.
I'm thinking David Cage is really trying to say:

In the story that is life, little did we know that the movies were the video games all this time!

DUNT! DUNT! DUNN! =P.

But yeah, I really do think the guy really wants to make just movies, but nobody in Hollywood will back him. So he is resorting to making "video games".

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Guys, remember - The Walking Dead adventure game (while I'll remind you had very few polygons) had the same model of QTEs and dialogue choices only for gameplay and turned out great - I understand that the main issue with Heavy Rain is that David Cage did the writing and doesn't seem to be a very good writer. There's no reason that this model CAN'T work, but if a game is going to hold up entirely by its story, characters and writing, all of those things need to be great. High end graphics get less impressive the closer their application is to a movie-movies will always look better.

nexus

May 30, 2012
I've been pretty excited for this since it was announced, and have followed it during 2013. That being said, I had no idea there would ever have been a Middle-Eastern warzone, Call of Duty thing going on. That just kinda blows me away, not sure how I feel about this. Seems rather silly.

Will get it anyway. Love all the actors involved, I liked Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy, but that's a weird angle for this game in my opinion.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
I agree, this guy should just make movies. His stories are legit but I don't play games to watch stories. This is why I left such franchises as Final Fantasy and Metal Gear.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
If it weren't for David Cage lamenting about polygons, this would look interesting if I knew more about the gameplay.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
[HEADING=3]sony funds an experiment[/HEADING]

I'm on board with the sequences-play; Beyond: Two Souls challenges our traditional concepts of narrative. Of course, you can avoid it if you'd like, and you can even complain by not buying it.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Sorry, but I just can't buy Ellen Page as being a bad-ass Secret Agent. It'd be like if they made an action movie and got Clay Aiken to play a Navy SEAL.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Fucking around =/= innovation.

What does this challenge? What's new about the way it tries to tell its story, and how does that change the story in any way? Even if this is good, the whole vocabulary of artsy bullshit around Cage's games is absurdly complimentary for what amounts to removing the things that actually do make the medium of games unique instead of taking advantage of them.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
[HEADING=1]ALL the polygons![/HEADING]

Truly this is the ultimate gaming experience!

It would seem that David Cage will not rest until all unnecessary button pressing is removed entirely from games. After all, who wants all that time consuming choice and freedom? Soon there will be a single unified button, just one button, that all gamers shall press to begin the ultimate in interactive experiences!

Behold, the only button you'll ever need!

Slavery is freedom.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm looking forward to this so much
liam_whinery said:
I agree, this guy should just make movies. His stories are legit...
This is the greatest untruth of all. His stories are absolutely terrible, did you ever play Heavy Rain? Or Fahrenheit? It's pretty much universally accepted that he is an absolute crud writer. The reason why Heavy Rain was good enough to get an 'it's not bad' from Yahtzee is purely on the strength of it's control system and how it builds connections with what you are doing. It really is that good. He has stories where every other person turns out to be a psychopath and long scenes where ladies strip for no reason and it doesn't matter, because when the guy gets asked to cut his finger off it absolutely feels like you've been asked to cut your finger off and it's intense.

I've never had such a connection with drinking orange juice before. No, the stories are the worst thing about these games but the system behind them is absolutely brilliant. If The Walking Dead had a control scheme even half as good then there'd be people who would never be able to play anything but The Walking Dead again.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
Sorry, but I just can't buy Ellen Page as being a bad-ass Secret Agent. It'd be like if they made an action movie and got Clay Aiken to play a Navy SEAL.
This was my first problem with this "game". Second problem is that unless it's some super-duper special edition I don't pay $60 for a movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
All I saw was rendered cut scenes from the look of it. Graphics looked too good even for the PS3.
That's the pay-off you get for a game that practically plays itself.

It looks great. Just look at it, since it's all you can do with this game.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Somehow I can't help feeling this CIA angle is a bid for the "wider CoD audience" grab. I dunno, it seemed cooler when she was a vulnerable refugee on the run from the gov't, not military recon/assassin (because we got that game already, over and over).

It could be fun to see Ellen Page kicking so much ass, but I don't think that this is a perfect fit.

If this game played like an open-world MGS (but simplified by adventure gaming elements), I could be down for that. Dragon's Lair controls, however, are not so compelling.

I remember enjoying that game, but I wouldn't have paid more than 10-20 bucks for a "movie" where I had to press a button to simply CONTINUE WATCHING. Such an experience isn't a game so much as a movie that has auto-pause unless you press a button.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Heavy Rain was allready a beautifull looking mess. If Cage didn`t mess up the story i`m very interrested in the youtube let`s plays.