Biden helps avert railway strike.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You do remember we're talking about the entire government, right?

For the person specifically in charge of train maintenance, this is an immediate priority. For the President of the United States, there are factually more pressing issues.
If the president of the united states has "factually more pressing issues" than a working railroad system then why did Joe Biden stick his nose into the railway strike in the first place?

Clearly it's not above his purview if he already directly involved himself, so why shouldn't we expect a safe and working railway system to be a priority?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If the president of the united states has "factually more pressing issues" than a working railroad system then why did Joe Biden stick his nose into the railway strike in the first place?
Because politics is a silly place, where visibility trumps importance in the minds of the corrupt.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Because politics is a silly place, where visibility trumps importance in the minds of the corrupt.
No, because the railroads are critical infrastructure where strikes risk hampering the movement of a vast amount of national freight and also passengers, causing potentially heavy disruption and costs. Comparing a derailment and toxic spill to the costs of a strike is necessarily not easy, as it's comparing very different things. But it's very reasonable to suppose that a series of strikes are potentially a lot more problematic overall than a toxic chemical spill (at least by the measures that governments use to decide action).

Secondly, if a strike is announced, it's a known event. An accident is however an unknowable. So it makes a great deal of sense to try to avert a known risk, where attempting to guess an unknown risk and how to stop it is much harder.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No, because the railroads are critical infrastructure where strikes risk hampering the movement of a vast amount of national freight and also passengers, causing potentially heavy disruption and costs. Comparing a derailment and toxic spill to the costs of a strike is necessarily not easy, as it's comparing very different things. But it's very reasonable to suppose that a series of strikes are potentially a lot more problematic overall than a toxic chemical spill (at least by the measures that governments use to decide action).

Secondly, if a strike is announced, it's a known event. An accident is however an unknowable. So it makes a great deal of sense to try to avert a known risk, where attempting to guess an unknown risk and how to stop it is much harder.
I was attempting to answer why a strike is a personal priority of the president. Your argument for why one over the other makes sense, but I was approaching it from the "why is the president directly involved in any of this" angle.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

Clearly it's not above his purview if he already directly involved himself, so why shouldn't we expect a safe and working railway system to be a priority?
Because sometimes The Workers get a little bit too uppity and need to be put back into their place.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Yes, thank you for demonstrating exactly what happens to bills without political capital: they die unfulfilled.
Now it's the bill that doesn't have political capital? Before you were saying it was the Democratic Party that had limited political capital that couldn't possibly be spent on rail safety. Which is it?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Now it's the bill that doesn't have political capital? Before you were saying it was the Democratic Party that had limited political capital that couldn't possibly be spent on rail safety. Which is it?
A bill is "paid for" with the political capital of the people backing it.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

A bill is "paid for" with the political capital of the people backing it.
so then if we're talking about the culpability of the Democratic Party, the bill "not having political capital" is the fault of the Democratic Party. Especially so when it also has Republican support.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
so then if we're talking about the culpability of the Democratic Party, the bill "not having political capital" is the fault of the Democratic Party. Especially so when it also has Republican support.
Do you also think then that being poor is the fault of poor people?

Although that's the handy thing about this rail crash: it provides a lot of political capital. From the perspective of politics, I would be considerably more critical of the Democrats for failing to use it as a wedge to improve safety standards than I am about the crash happening in the first place. Although, admittedly, I do not hold the Democratic Party in high esteem, and I thoroughly expect this to peter out into nothing.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States

Lot of words to say "the ramifications of a toxic chemical spill that could endanger the entire Ohio river valley is a lot easier to cover up, than a national railway strike over the specific working conditions that allowed the toxic chemical spill to happen in the first place".

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Lot of words to say "the ramifications of a toxic chemical spill that could endanger the entire Ohio river valley is a lot easier to cover up, than a national railway strike over the specific working conditions that allowed the toxic chemical spill to happen in the first place".
:rolleyes:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I think you mean that the train did not meet the criteria for high hazard flammable under the Obama-era law. "Exempted" implies that it did meet the criteria, but was for some reason excused normal standards.
It no longer met the criteria after it got lobbied to change said criteria (aka exempted).

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OH MY GOD!

Because of the recent tragedy, Norfolk has given into the demands of the union for full sick days.

What's even better is that Congress could have passed a compromise giving them sick days but less than the Union's demanded, but the companies pushed for no sick days. Now the company has to give into the Union full demands.

The Ohio chemical spill is a tragedy, but I can't help but feel joy at the railroad companies eating shit right now.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
What, did Obama miraculously fix everything single-handedly, by going to east Palestine and pretending to drink a glass of water while I wasn't paying attention?
I think more, perhaps, the obviously dubious leap of claiming that better working conditions would necessarily have prevented this accident.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The Ohio chemical spill is a tragedy, but I can't help but feel joy at the railroad companies eating shit right now.
Well, yes. But isn't this the way it normally works? Exploit as hard as possible, and then when the shit hits the fan, suddenly make a sizeable concession.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I think more, perhaps, the obviously dubious leap of claiming that better working conditions would necessarily have prevented this accident.
Yes, it absolutely would have. The bigger underlying issue in the rail industry right now is staffing reduction in the name of "optimization" and "efficiency" (read, higher profits), which as one would expect leads to overworked safety inspectors, less time for safety inspections on a per-car and per-component basis, less and hastier maintenance, reduced supervision, and lower standards for certification. All, of course, with the full approval of the DoT and NTSB, and a deregulation-happy Congress. Not to mention wage stagnation and reduced benefits, leading to high turnover, critical staffing shortages, and lack of qualified and interested applicants.

The kind of circumstances that might cause, say, a faulty wheel bearing to have gone unnoticed by time- and resource-strapped safety inspectors. But what would I know, that's clearly just obviously dubious leaps and speculation.

But it's not like this hasn't been known and decried for years, by the same people who were threatening to strike.

Now I ask again, did I miss Obama pretending to drink a glass of East Palestine tap water in the meantime? I'm real interested to know, because as far as I know, I'm the only person on this forum who gets his drinking water from Ohio river and lives in the region potentially impacted by this fuckup.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I know Japan isn’t a shining beacon in all ways, but if the YouTube I saw about them doing a maintenance check on a Shinkansen is accurate, we should probably import a bunch of those boys to give American and Australian rail a boot up it’s arse.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yes, it absolutely would have.
Even with a better staffed and resourced workforce, human error occurs. Secondly, at this point, we cannot be sure it was due to inadequate maintenance, or that an improved maintenance regime would have caught and prevented it. I think a more accurate statement would be that better staffing and working conditions would reduce the probability of such events occurring.