Biden still locks kids in cages

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

What are we on, day 40? Biden has calcified many of Trump's changes to immigration as well as not lifted a finger against the terrible conditions imposed on immigrants from the last time he was in the White House.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Um, excuse me with your fake news! Why are you spreading lies and slander about Biden and this policy?

It is now Unaccompanied Minors in Overflow Facilities. Way different than kids in cages.

Please keep your Nothing Burger Fake News Lamestream Media BS out of the forum. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I mean, he did say nothing would change.

As I understand it, the main difference is that he's not a prolific Twitter user. Though that account pretending to be his dogs just needs to stop. Dying of second-hand embarrassment here.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Because keeping unaccompanied minors in a special, safe facility until their legal guardians can be located is absolutely the same thing as separating families as a cruel deterrent to immigration in general.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Because keeping unaccompanied minors in a special, safe facility until their legal guardians can be located is absolutely the same thing as separating families as a cruel deterrent to immigration in general.
Jacobin mag throwing context and details out the window to bash on a liberal policy and pretend its identical to Republican-brand conservatism? Well I never...

Reactions: Agema

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Have a debate that features this.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Jacobin mag throwing context and details out the window to bash on a liberal policy and pretend its identical to Republican-brand conservatism? Well I never...
Centrists not reading the article and going off half-cocked? Wholda thunk?

The White House press secretary Jennifer Psaki categorically denied the putting “kids in cages” charge. What’s your response specifically to that?

AG

There’s no reason that the Biden administration needs to detain asylum seekers and migrants. Continuing to detain noncitizens, and especially migrant children, is continuing to put people in cages. The administration announced that it plans to end long-term family detention, which is positive, but they haven’t closed the facilities altogether. Activists and critics are pushing Biden, and rightfully so, to live up to his word and to shift the focus away from enforcement — to not double down on the harmful policies of the past.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Just reunite them with their families, and give them DACCA status. Now granted I believe in open borders so if I were the head of state I would implement much more equalitarian policies But it's Wait in line Biden we are taking about.

While kids are getting shot at by gangs, and cartels, and their friends and or family are dying let's let them wait in line. Great idea.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
If I called literal dog shit a juicy cheesburger, would both of you proceed to eat it? All they have done is change what they call it and both of you are actually falling for it?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So you'd rather the kids just end up in the same camps as their parents?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So you'd rather the kids just end up in the same camps as their parents?
It is generally better to not split up families if at all possible, yes. As shitty and unacceptable at Obama's and Biden's concentration camps are, they aren't specifically doing that as a measure of "preventative" policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
If their legal guardians are located, are they allowed to leave?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It is generally better to not split up families if at all possible, yes. As shitty and unacceptable at Obama's and Biden's concentration camps are, they aren't specifically doing that as a measure of "preventative" policy.
I dunno kids in the same facilities as adults who are total strangers. Seems like it could cause some troubles.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I dunno kids in the same facilities as adults who are total strangers. Seems like it could cause some troubles.
I think the idea is to not seperate the kids from their parents, who could then presumably do what parents should do and watch their kids?

Also, putting the kids in seperate facilities does not inherently keep them safe from total stranger adults.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I think the idea is to not seperate the kids from their parents, who could then presumably do what parents should do and watch their kids?

Also, putting the kids in seperate facilities does not inherently keep them safe from total stranger adults.
As far as I've heard... it somewhat did. Because jailers did little to feed, cloth, wash or change nappies. It was left to the other jailed kids to look after each other

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
As far as I've heard... it somewhat did. Because jailers did little to feed, cloth, wash or change nappies. It was left to the other jailed kids to look after each other
It also "somewhat" exposed them to being victims of human trafficking and abuse(also from other kids), because of the lack of parental oversight, and guards either not caring, or participating in the abuses themselves.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It also "somewhat" exposed them to being victims of human trafficking and abuse(also from other kids), because of the lack of parental oversight, and guards either not caring, or participating in the abuses themselves.
Well, I never said it was a good thing

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
It is this total inability to either consider or understand nuance that makes the current political discourse such a total shit show. If one is unwilling or unable to see that there's a difference in deliberately separating children from their families and keeping children already separated from their families safe while those families are located, then there's not much that can be done. At a superficial glance it is all "secured facilities" but the reason why and the actual conditions inside said facilities matter.
Agreed. The optics look bad no matter what, but considering what the Biden administration has to work with it's unavoidable.

Reactions: deleted20220709