Biden team faced "tirade" at meeting with Chinese over America's poor human rights record in "Diplomatic humiliation"

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

The US did 2 minutes vaguely about stuff.

China did 20 despite both having agreed to do a 2 minute opener and no-one from the US side even stopped them they just sat there and took it apparently.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

China did 20 despite both having agreed to do a 2 minute opener and no-one from the US side even stopped them they just sat there and took it apparently.
Sometimes its best to just let the screaming child have their tantrum and tire themselves out. For best results, affect a disinterested expression and occasionally look at your phone.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Sometimes its best to just let the screaming child have their tantrum and tire themselves out. For best results, affect a disinterested expression and occasionally look at your phone.
problem is China loves getting it's own way like that. It gets to play struggle sessions which it has a long history of doing.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Didn't the chinese guy get offended by the fact that one of the women there had dyed hair which is against regulations or something like that?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm not an apologist for the CCP, but what, of anything the Chinese diplomats said, were false? Sky News is complaining about China's whataboutism by engaging in whataboutism themselves.
It's the normal state of politics. "I blame you for all your faults by I'm the best" while ignoring they have similar faults. See also SkyNews pretending that ScoMo is pandering to the left... for dealing with actual rape and sexual abuse scandals in his offices. (I should say Daisy Cousens but they still have Bolt on their channel so they deserve all the criticism.)

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
It’s funny that their counterpoint is that US stuff is all in the past and that China is bad now but the US prison population as a proportion of all Americans probably isn’t far off from Uyghur work camps as a proportion of the Chinese population, among the dozens of other similar actions the US is carrying out right now and has been for decades. Geopolitics is the parable about complaining about the splinter someone else has when you have a log in your eye, except it’s just two dudes entirely made out of logs doing the arguing.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I saw that. I thought it was very strange to mention the Nazis and German colonialism in Namibia since they both predate the EU by several decades.
It would be like me criticizing the PRC for things done by the Qing Dynasty.
Why was that colonal misdeed picked out?

How about the 30-50mil killed in India during famines during WW2 because Britain wanted the resources?

Or quite a few wars about colonial powers keeping control?

If 1908 is the target, why not Leopold?

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

I'm really getting a kick of these kinds of stories being the best the news cycle can do to drum up drama about the new administration. It's doing wonders for my blood pressure. I love that everyone in the room just looks bored and are generally working on something else while the speaker dones on. I suspect this is pretty typical.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It’s funny that their counterpoint is that US stuff is all in the past and that China is bad now but the US prison population as a proportion of all Americans probably isn’t far off from Uyghur work camps as a proportion of the Chinese population,
In this, I feel the US has the moral high ground.

The US prison population is the highest per capita on Earth. However, no matter how one may feel about the US prison system, it can't compare to China's arbitrary detention of the Ughyrs or its own citizens.

relevant propaganda directed towards Europe:
Holy shit, that's kind of desparate.

"We're detaining 1 million Muslims, but some politicians said some nasty things about them in the EU."

"Peaceful demonstrators have been injured, but please ignore Tianaman Square and Hong Kong."

"19,000 refugees died, but please ignore the fact that we've barely taken in any refugees at all."

"Gender inequality is an issue, please ignore that our gender gap is worse than almost every single EU country."

Like, none of the statements in the poster are false, but geez...

How about the 30-50mil killed in India during famines during WW2 because Britain wanted the resources?
Where are you getting that figure from? If we're talking about the Bengal famine, the agreed upon death count is 3 million, and I've never seen it higher than 10 million at the very most.

Reactions: Cicada 5

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'm really getting a kick of these kinds of stories being the best the news cycle can do to drum up drama about the new administration. It's doing wonders for my blood pressure. I love that everyone in the room just looks bored and are generally working on something else while the speaker dones on. I suspect this is pretty typical.
There are plenty of things to criticise Biden about. 'Weak' in this exchange I don't care about one way or the other

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The US prison population is the highest per capita on Earth. However, no matter how one may feel about the US prison system, it can't compare to China's arbitrary detention of the Ughyrs or its own citizens.
Why not?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Because the US hasn't imprisoned an entire group of people in the 21st century within concentration camps.

Because the US hasn't imprisoned anyone in the 21st century for speaking out against the state, nor does it have "secret prisons" like China does.

Because the US isn't engaged in organ harvesting of its prisoners.

There's a lot to criticize about the US prison system, but I'm not sure how anyone could cast it as being morally equivalent to China's state apparatus.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I hope Biden gets his CCP policy right. Over-estimating them is the safe choice, but if it means we spend one hundred billion more on our military than we need to, then that means millions to tens of millions of people's lives will have their quality of life reduced. Underestimating them means disaster for our allies and much of the free world.

I have read all types of books on the topic from Peter Zehian's disunited nations to various books saying they have won. The only way to test this would be on the battlefield, and that carries the risk of nuclear escalation.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Well I figured Biden refusing to let any media etc see the state of the border camps after leaked photos showed people huddled under emergency blanks would likely have a thread already honestly.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well I figured Biden refusing to let any media etc see the state of the border camps after leaked photos showed people huddled under emergency blanks would likely have a thread already honestly.
All those kids we much safer staying in a border town in Mexico. They had arm band and everything to make sure they only got stolen or raped once