Biden's Cabinet of Curiosities

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
* Treasury Secretary: Janet Yellen. Former chair of the Federal Reserve, Yellen was let go by Trump, partially because Trump thought she was too short. Yellen oversaw $3 trillion Federal stimulus injected, a drastic lowering in unemployment, and an interest-rate increase.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Dare we ask why Mayorkas was a Cuban "refugee", and what his dad was up to that got their asses kicked out of the country during the revolution. Protip: if your dad was a steel factory owner who supported the Batista regime, you don't get a "poor, oppressed refugee" card. Or we question the timeline of his tenure under Obama, which conveniently enough was around the kid cage building, arguing for indefinite detention, time.
Mayorkas was 1 year old when his family left Cuba, so I'm not really sure you can blame him for that. About 4/5 of Cuban Jewish people left Cuba between 1959 - 1965, so he was hardly an outlier. If all you've got is speculation that his dad might have been a bad guy then I think I'm happy enough with the pick.

If we have somebody whose inclination is to ease the road to citizenship, as Mayorkas has done several times already, then I'm supportive. The road to citizenship needs to be substantially eased to avoid humanitarian disaster.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Mayorkas doesn’t appear to be an actually insane Cuban-American given his past work trying to open up Cuban-US relations, so I agree that he may be the cabinet member most worth looking forward to, though of that list he’s also the only one worth looking forward to and honestly he’s just a return to the Obama normal so it’s not really forward at all.
Edit: also, while Blinkin sucks, the idea of the US finally cutting off the Saudis is fucking amazing
I dunno why you'd care so much about the CIA asset the Saudis killed in Turkey. Everyone was complicit in his death - the americans knew about it in advance (they caught conversations regarding it), the turks DEFINATELY knew about it and practically set it up so they could document it all, and of course the Saudis which did the deed. This was an entire puppet-show.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Mayorkas was 1 year old when his family left Cuba, so I'm not really sure you can blame him for that. About 4/5 of Cuban Jewish people left Cuba between 1959 - 1965, so he was hardly an outlier. If all you've got is speculation that his dad might have been a bad guy then I think I'm happy enough with the pick.

If we have somebody whose inclination is to ease the road to citizenship, as Mayorkas has done several times already, then I'm supportive. The road to citizenship needs to be substantially eased to avoid humanitarian disaster.
If you're gonna use it as a bullet point on a CV, you're damned well liable for it. I would give a fuck less about his personal background if it weren't a talking point for his presumed competence and appropriateness for the job.

And "easing the road to citizenship" is slapping a band-aid on a much bigger issue and calling it fixed, while letting the root cause continue to metastasize. I'm all in favor of that policy as an end goal, but regulating corporations to prevent labor importation as means to to suppress wage growth and undermine labor rights, is a vastly bigger problem that needs be solved first. Amnesty first, regulation second, then let's start talking about reforming the naturalization process.

And yes, just to prevent cherry-picking and completely missing the fucking point, I absolutely did just invoke that dreaded A-word that has become nothing short of heretical in contemporary discussion of immigrants' rights.

There's something really weird about reading this as an earnest take when the USA is still straddled with the administration that has been nothing but croneys, lackeys and yes men all out to line their own pockets and further their own interests.
Well, it really boils down to which you feel is better-suited to the job and least capable of wreaking havoc with American economics and politics: incompetent malfeasants, or competent malfeasants. The latter's competence is what created the socioeconomic conditions ripe for the ascent of the former. I'd rather not have malfeasants in the job at all, but the Democratic party has all but openly declared that to be too radical a concept. I'll take the kleptocrats whose own incompetence serves as a limiting factor on the long-term damage they can do to the country, thanks.

Or to put it another way, whose administration was worse in the long run, Grant's or Hayes'?

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If you're gonna use it as a bullet point on a CV, you're damned well liable for it. I would give a fuck less about his personal background if it weren't a talking point for his presumed competence and appropriateness for the job.
He's liable for it? At one year old? Okay. Well, either way, you've only provided speculation about his dad, so you haven't actually got anything on his background.

And "easing the road to citizenship" is slapping a band-aid on a much bigger issue and calling it fixed, while letting the root cause continue to metastasize. I'm all in favor of that policy as an end goal, but regulating corporations to prevent labor importation as means to to suppress wage growth and undermine labor rights, is a vastly bigger problem that needs be solved first. Amnesty first, regulation second, then let's start talking about reforming the naturalization process.
Not sure how you expect the Director of Citizenship and Immigration Services to regulate the labour market. Also unsure why you wouldn't want him to implement the reforms that actually do fall under his purview, just because the entire system isn't fixed in doing so.

And yes, just to prevent cherry-picking and completely missing the fucking point, I absolutely did just invoke that dreaded A-word that has become nothing short of heretical in contemporary discussion of immigrants' rights.
I love that you expect me to be against an amnesty. It's such a fundamental misapprehension of what my position is.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
He's liable for it? At one year old? Okay. Well, either way, you've only provided speculation about his dad, so you haven't actually got anything on his background.

Speculation my ass.

"...55 years after his family escaped to the United States.

"We came to this country as political refugees, my father did not want to live nor raise his family in a communist country," Mayorkas told ABC News. "We came to the United States to be able to live in a democracy and my father wanted for his children like so many parents do a better life than he himself had enjoyed."

In 1960, his family fled Cuba for Miami and settled finally in Los Angeles.

[...]

But Mayorkas also plans to visit a few places of historic importance to his family, including the family cemetery, and the steel wool factory his father once owned..."

So we have a man who just so happened to be wealthy enough to have a family cemetery and own a steel wool factory, that just so happened to exist under Batista's infamously corrupt, nepotistic, and despotic junta, who just so happened to flee a year after the Cuban revolution. Do you have an alternative explanation for how this incredibly coincidental and extraordinarily unlikely confluence of events might otherwise have happened?

Not sure how you expect the Director of Citizenship and Immigration Services to regulate the labour market. Also unsure why you wouldn't want him to implement the reforms that actually do fall under his purview, just because the entire system isn't fixed in doing so.
Well golly gosh gee, I'm not sure, is amnesty on the table right now? I would venture a guess that advocating for, and changing internal policy towards, such would eminently fall under USCIS's purview as an executive agency. Chevron deference ain't an administrative law doctrine that applies exclusively towards the EPA, nor when administrative rules changes would only benefit major corporations.

I love that you expect me to be against an amnesty. It's such a fundamental misapprehension of what my position is.
No, I expect you to ignore that I put that dastardly A-word on the table in favor of other cherry-picked counter-arguments, like for example "also unsure why you wouldn't want him to implement the reforms that actually do fall under his purview, just because the entire system isn't fixed in doing so".

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

Speculation my ass.

"...55 years after his family escaped to the United States.

"We came to this country as political refugees, my father did not want to live nor raise his family in a communist country," Mayorkas told ABC News. "We came to the United States to be able to live in a democracy and my father wanted for his children like so many parents do a better life than he himself had enjoyed."

In 1960, his family fled Cuba for Miami and settled finally in Los Angeles.

[...]

But Mayorkas also plans to visit a few places of historic importance to his family, including the family cemetery, and the steel wool factory his father once owned..."

So we have a man who just so happened to be wealthy enough to have a family cemetery and own a steel wool factory, that just so happened to exist under Batista's infamously corrupt, nepotistic, and despotic junta, who just so happened to flee a year after the Cuban revolution. Do you have an alternative explanation for how this incredibly coincidental and extraordinarily unlikely confluence of events might otherwise have happened?
Considering that 4/5 of all Jewish Cubans left, the "just so happened to flee" is rather misplaced: they'd have been outliers if they stayed. My explanation is that he... was probably a factory owner, who left because he didn't want to lose his wealth. Shock! His child must be unfit for office!

Well golly gosh gee, I'm not sure, is amnesty on the table right now? I would venture a guess that advocating for, and changing internal policy towards, such would eminently fall under USCIS's purview as an executive agency.
And which Congress & President from 2009 - 2014 do you think would have provided the legislative route for an amnesty to have the faintest chance of becoming law?

No, I expect you to ignore that I put that dastardly A-word on the table in favor of other cherry-picked counter-arguments, like for example "also unsure why you wouldn't want him to implement the reforms that actually do fall under his purview, just because the entire system isn't fixed in doing so".
Huh! Probably a shame that I addressed it, then.

At least you have dropped the irrelevant argument about labour reform, so that sentence served its purpose.

Last edited:

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I dunno why you'd care so much about the CIA asset the Saudis killed in Turkey. Everyone was complicit in his death - the americans knew about it in advance (they caught conversations regarding it), the turks DEFINATELY knew about it and practically set it up so they could document it all, and of course the Saudis which did the deed. This was an entire puppet-show.
That’s not why I hate the Saudis?

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
My explanation is that he... was probably a factory owner, who left because he didn't want to lose his wealth. Shock! His child must be unfit for office!
In other words, his familial and past history has absolutely nothing in common with that of the overwhelming majority of Latin-American immigrants in this country, and acting as if it did and using his heritage as any kind of positive checkmark let alone for liberal policy is a colossal lie manufactured solely for the purposes of keeping anyone from looking too closely at it, lest they raise the spectre of "racism".

Just as I have said in other threads. "Liberals" need to stop thinking of Cuban-American exiles as the only Latinos/Hispanics in the country, let alone acting as if they're the only ones who matter. Wanna know why Democrats are losing vote share among Hispanic/Latino voters? That shit's why, not this fucking ridiculous concept that Bernie is "too left" for people whose families fled their own countries because of US economic and military interference, whose political views heavily align with Latin-American liberation theology.

And which Congress & President from 2009 - 2014 do you think would have provided the legislative route for an amnesty to have the faintest chance of becoming law?
Funny you think Congress remotely fucking matters, here. USCIS is an executive administration, Congress delegated its authority to it and SCOTUS created the doctrine of Chevron deference, and any sitting US President can grant amnesty by executive order exactly as Reagan and Bush, Sr., did. Congress can piss, moan, whine, threaten, complain, and stamp their feet in impotent rage all they like, a stroke of a pen from the Resolute desk is all it would take. Fuck "legislative routes", Congress can't agree on a national pancake without some turkey-dick from Lockheed Martin weighing in on the issue.

At least you have dropped the irrelevant argument about labour reform, so that sentence served its purpose.
No, you simply dropped a hot take and I responded to it. Visa abuse is still the root cause of this issue, and there's not a thing you can say about it. 60-70% of undocumented immigrants in the US are "illegal" because of what, again?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
In other words, his familial and past history has absolutely nothing in common with that of the overwhelming majority of Latin-American immigrants in this country, and acting as if it did and using his heritage as any kind of positive checkmark let alone for liberal policy is a colossal lie manufactured solely for the purposes of keeping anyone from looking too closely at it, lest they raise the spectre of "racism".
Did he act as if his past is a particularly typical one?

Funny you think Congress remotely fucking matters, here. USCIS is an executive administration, Congress delegated its authority to it and SCOTUS created the doctrine of Chevron deference, and any sitting US President can grant amnesty by executive order exactly as Reagan and Bush, Sr., did. Congress can piss, moan, whine, threaten, complain, and stamp their feet in impotent rage all they like, a stroke of a pen from the Resolute desk is all it would take. Fuck "legislative routes", Congress can't agree on a national pancake without some turkey-dick from Lockheed Martin weighing in on the issue.
Yup, a President can do it, too. So we're looking at Obama, then. He hasn't been picked for a cabinet post yet, but there's always the rest of the week.

No, you simply dropped a hot take and I responded to it. Visa abuse is still the root cause of this issue, and there's not a thing you can say about it. 60-70% of undocumented immigrants in the US are "illegal" because of what, again?
Right, the visa process, yes, that'd be USCIS. Originally you said "regulating corporations".

I'd only say that expanding the rights to live and work, & easing the naturalisation process, both address the issue. There's a reason he consistently gets ranked highly by immigrants advocacy groups.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Yup, a President can do it, too. So we're looking at Obama, then. He hasn't been picked for a cabinet post yet, but there's always the rest of the week.
I believe I saw that he has already preemptively declined, for whatever that's worth.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country

Implying that being north american protects against humanitarian disasters? The country with the greatest wealth inequality in the developed world?

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Did he act as if his past is a particularly typical one?
That would be part of the "poor besotten refugee who fled for their lives and blah-blah-blibbety-fuckin'-blah" shtick, yes. Which is literally what I just said.

Yup, a President can do it, too.
In other words you're well aware of this and are just chucking out red herrings.

So we're looking at Obama, then.
Yes we would be looking at the man whose stellar immigration policy earned him the moniker "deporter-in-chief", and would be the same one under whose administration the goddamn kid cages were built, and whose administration argued before federal court the administration had a right to put kids in cages. Twice.

Who was Obama's VP and spent an entire Presidential election cycle advertising themselves as an "Obama democrat" again?

Right, the visa process, yes, that'd be USCIS.
In other words you're well aware of this and are just chucking out red herrings.

Originally you said "regulating corporations".
Yes, yes I fucking did. Because visa reform is only one part of a much bigger problem.

I'd only say that expanding the rights to live and work, & easing the naturalisation process, both address the issue.
And we return right back to my "it's a band-aid without addressing the root cause" argument. Funny how that works with you.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
...with a penchant for paying people to fly planes into buildings...
Oh shit, forgot to say.... isn't it funny how we took out some enemies of the Saudis due to these planes going into buildings. What a coincidence...