Big Fish Games Seeks Paranormal Investigator

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Big Fish Games Seeks Paranormal Investigator

Who is Big Fish Games gonna call?

Do you know how to operate an EMF detector, geiger counter and Tri-Field meter effectively? Are you comfortable working with mediums, demonologists and spiritual leaders? Can you keep a straight face while claiming all of the above in a serious, business-like manner? Then you may be just the person that Big Fish Games is looking for! The casual gaming colossus wants to bring an honest-to-goodness paranormal investigator on board for a one-month contract to help its developers "understand the mysteries of the spirit realm."

"We're fanatics for spooky user experiences inspired by beautiful design and grounded in real life familiarity," the job posting says. "You are a top-notch Paranormal Investigator interested in helping us create fun, compelling game experiences that support and extend our top brands. You possess eye for aesthetics and a mind for marketing in all areas of visual communication including typography, composition, color, and interaction. You are willing to set aside personal tastes and biases and be the number-one advocate for our players. You eat paranormal mysteries for breakfast, lunch, and maybe even an afternoon snack."

Responsibilities include traveling to haunted locations, working late nights and weekends with little or no accommodations, working in dark, enclosed areas, collaborating with "smart, passionate people who geek out on their work as much as you do," and of course being comfortable in front of a camera. The successful applicant will have skill with EMF detectors, ION detectors, Geiger counters, IR cameras, Tri-Field meters, Gaussmasters and other ghost detection devices, be comfortable working with experts in other paranormal disciplines and have the usual ability to work independently, think creatively and have a desire to learn and work in a dynamic environment.

The job posting doesn't reveal what exactly Big Fish wants with a paranormal investigator but my guess is that it involves the next chapter in the company's indeed.com [http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/6807/mystery-case-files-dire-grove/index.html]. But please, people: professionals only.

TimeCruiserMike

Oct 1, 2009
Some one should tell them not to waste their money. The sort of paranormal investigator they're looking for doesn't actually exist. Only people who have convinced themselves that they are paranormal investigators and claim everything they don't understand to be paranormal.

the REAL paranormal investigators show up during the day and figure out what's causing people to see ghosts.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
TimeCruiserMike said:
Some one should tell them not to waste their money. The sort of paranormal investigator they're looking for doesn't actually exist. Only people who have convinced themselves that they are paranormal investigators and claim everything they don't understand to be paranormal.

the REAL paranormal investigators show up during the day and figure out what's causing people to see ghosts.
I actually know someone exactly like the nonexistant paranormal investigator you mentioned.

And I forwarded this ad to her, just in case!

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Do you know how to operate an EMF detector, geiger counter and Tri-Field meter effectively?
Yes... which makes me unqualified to be a paranormal investigator...

Andy Chalk said:
Are you comfortable working with mediums, demonologists and spiritual leaders?
Why would I want to work with delusional people?

Andy Chalk said:
Can you keep a straight face while claiming all of the above in a serious, business-like manner?
Not a chance.

...so, I guess this job isn't for me then?

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
Someone's been watching too much History Channel.

...and how depressing is that

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm a certified Mystery Case Files Master Detective, you know. Got a badge and everything.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Of course they do realise any jackass can call themselves a paranormal investigator as it's not a protected term. So technically everyone on earth is qualified already.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Skeptics are going to be skeptics when it comes to the field. To be honest the guys they want very much do exist, but are pretty uncommon at this quality level. The ones that are out there tend to work for universities or in private practice. What "Big Fish" seems to be offering probably wouldn't cover the costs and risk of damage to that equipment which is oftentimes actually owned by a university. The really "well known" experts have already brokered their services for one TV show or another, how seriously you take them depends on what you think of the genere and the field, which doesn't seem to be viewed very well on these forums at least.

My personal opinions on the subject of the paranormal are mixed, but when it comes to investigators I think Big Fish is either going to have to get very lucky, or probably bite the bullet and approach some of the more well known experts that are on TV and such, as opposed to waiting for someone to come to them. In the end it's likely going to cost a bit more than they want to pay, especially if they want someone to bring along all of this equipment and use it for their benefit (presumably so they can watch the process and copy it for a game).

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Do you know how to operate an EMF detector, geiger counter and Tri-Field meter effectively?
No but I can easily operate a Proton pack and P.K.E Meter