Big Huge Games Resurrected as "Epic Games Baltimore"

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Big Huge Games Resurrected as "Epic Games Baltimore"

From the ashes of the 38 Studios debacle rises a new Epic studio.

When Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117435-Entire-38-Studios-Staff-Laid-Off-Effective-Immediately].

Now, cast out from this sea of sad news, a happy pearl has emerged: Gears of War developer Epic Games just has announced that it intends to hire a significant portion of the 80 Big Huge Games workers and set them to work in a brand-new Epic studio in Baltimore.

"[Big Huge Games' leadership] wanted to start a new company and keep together some of the key talent displaced by the layoff, and hoped that they could use an Epic IP as a starting point for a new game," wrote Epic president Mike Capps in an employee announcement obtained by Polygon. "We loved that they all wanted to keep working together, but it was pretty clear they'd have trouble building a demo and securing funding before their personal savings ran out," he continued.

"In one of life's coincidences, Epic's directors had spent the morning discussing how we'd love to build even more successful projects with our growing team, but that we'd need a dramatic infusion of top talent to do so. Which, we all knew, was impossible," he concludes. "So now we're planning to start an impossible studio in Baltimore. :)"

Sources close to the matter have indicated that the Epic Baltimore team will likely be put to work on an action RPG-style game, one which may be a completely new IP for Epic. Capps asked for fans and onlookers to give them a little time to work out the details. "It'll take a while to find space, set up desks and PCs, purchase sufficient Nerf weaponry and Dr. Pepper, etc," he said. "There's a million things to work out. We don't know all the answers yet. Please give us some time to figure it out; we hope to have more to share soon."

Message received, Mike Capps. With that in mind, however, I wonder what's next for this new Epic studio? Epic Games as a whole isn't a total stranger to fantasy-esque RPG franchises, as evidenced by its ownership of Infinity Blade studio ChAIR Entertainment. Regardless, the workers who so suddenly lost their benefits and paychecks will be sleeping a whole lot easier tonight than they have in a while. Every cloud...

Source: Polygon [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/3/3058278/epic-baltimore-rises-out-of-the-ashes-of-big-huge-games]

risenbone

Sep 3, 2010
Epic didn't they just make a bunch of money from shooting down Silicon Knights in 2 lawsuits? I guess it's as good a way to spend those proceeds as any. Hope it turns out well for all involved.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
So where's the money coming from? Kickstarter anyone?
Kickstarter? Hell no they're not crowdsourcing it.

The money comes from pwning Silicon Knights and looting the bodies, licencing out the incredibly-popular Unreal engines, and profits from record-breaking games like Gears of War.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
New IP? Well, I guess it's safe to say the world of Amalur has been locked away forever.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Epic Games; saving the videogame industry one studio at a time. Rock on, Epic.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Waiting to hear how many people Epic lays off from this new "studio" before filling it with their own people.

Honestly though, if it's related to Epic Games, I don't give a damn. They've done nothing to impress me for years.

Call me when they fire CliffyB and get someone with actual talent to fill his shoes.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Awesome! Finally some good news out of this whole 38 Studios debacle.
Glad it was Epic who picked them up too - I have to imagine they know the game business a bit better than Curt Schilling and are at least slightly less likely to run the studio into the ground chasing a personal dream ...