Big Huge Games Returns With Civilization-Inspired Strategy Game

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Big Huge Games Returns With Civilization-Inspired Strategy Game

A casualty of THQ and the 38 Studios implosion, Big Huge Games has been resurrected by original founders Brian Reynolds and Tim Train.

Just in time for Halloween, a game studio has been brought back from the dead. Big Huge Games, which was founded by Firaxis alumnus Brian Reynolds and three other game designers in 2000, was part of the going up for auction in Rhode Island [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119856-38-Studios-Goes-On-the-Block-in-October], with original designers Reynolds and Tim Train at the helm.

Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/10/27/brian-reynolds-and-tim-train-revive-big-huge-games-announce-first-title.aspx] is reporting that the newly resurrected Big Huge Games has partnered with Nexon and has more than two dozen employees working towards the release of its next game, the Civilization-inspired mobile strategy title DomiNations. According to Reynolds, the game "covers the sweep of human history... You move through the ages and build wonders of the world, make alliances, and rule your kingdom." DomiNations is also reminiscent of Clash of Clans, but Reynolds clarifies, "We think of it as this developing new genre, and we have certainly taken some inspiration, but we don't think anyone has done a 'sweep of human history' game in that genre yet."

Big Huge Games found success early on with Rise of Nations, and joined THQ in 2008. The Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121680-Bankruptcy-Auction-Ends-THQ]. Despite the studio's poor luck over the last half-decade, this looks like a fresh start for Big Huge Games. The first game of the revived studio will be available for iOS and Android in 2015.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/10/27/brian-reynolds-and-tim-train-revive-big-huge-games-announce-first-title.aspx]

EdwardBerner

Mar 28, 2012
Definitely reminds me more of Rise of Nations and Clash of Clans than Civilization...
Oh well...

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Oh man, all this post did was get my hopes up and remind me of how much fun I had with Rise of Nations. Oh well, luckily I still have my CD somewhere and Its also on steam. I should pick it up on the next sale...
I'll leave this here if anyone else wants to get nostalgic.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Rise of Nations for mobile phones? Well, colour me going back to RoN on the PC.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Here's a brief summary of my cognition of this article:

Big Huge Games returns
Hooray! Potentially more Rise of Nations?

with Civilization-inspired strategy game
Excellent! Shut up and take my mone-

mobile strategy title
*Mental alarm bells interrupt*

reminiscent of Clash of the Clans
Abandon all hope now.
Pretty much summed up my thought process. Rise of Nations is an awesome game and while I don't mind a new IP (since I believe Microsoft owns the IP) I won't get some shitty mobile money sink. Looks like Big Huge is a zombie, a shell of it's former self.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
No offense, but "fresh start" and mobile gaming should never be used to try and spin a story as positive.

Mobile is the last waystation on the road to hell. Maybe they can team up with John Romero and go work for Zynga next.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
According to this, they haven't been resurrected. Someone just forgot to put the final nail in their coffin and their pinky was sticking out of it.

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
This is basically a cruel joke being played on all the RON/ROL fans. Though I suppose you can always hope that they somehow magically manage to work their way up from zero.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:

Big Huge Games returns

mobile strategy title

Abandon all hope now.
Same exact thoughts were in my head when reading it.

All they need to do now is be acquired by Zynga.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:

Big Huge Games returns

mobile strategy title

Abandon all hope now.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

I guess it is, technically, possible to get a decent mobile game out of this. About the same chance I have to sprout another dick... but hey, hope never dies.

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
I must congratulate the OP - you managed to raise my hopes that the developer who made one of my favourite strategy games of all time was returning to the strategy game market. You then dashed them quite expertly when you said this "Civilization-inspired mobile strategy title DomiNations".

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Including the mobile part in the title would have saved me a click.

Mojo said:
I'll leave this here if anyone else wants to get nostalgic.
That's some good music right there.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Mhmh said:
This is basically a cruel joke being played on all the RON/ROL fans. Though I suppose you can always hope that they somehow magically manage to work their way up from zero.
Actually it's a cruel joke on ALL of the Ensemble Studio RTS. While Starcraft is now Esport tier, Ensemble RTS have to forced into the hells of Mobile Gaming.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Sigh.. Another clone. So I imagine the game will revolve around two things:

Special Currency to speed things up (which you mostly have to buy with real money to get)
Waiting for stuff to build

Sounds fun. /sarcasm