Big surprise, the new Fantastic Four movie is a wreck

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
and in other news, grass is green.

I mean really, did anyone expect this movie to not suck 9999 flavors of ass?

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Trying not to be Chronicle 2??? What, was the whole film shot in some camera including in impossible places??? (I never get why there was a camera in the hospital room especially when it was place across the bed?).

Seriously Sony, give it up. They clearly cannot write nor make a good superhero film and give it back to Maverl film studio already. They at least knows what the hell they are doing!
Fox has the FF rights, not Sony.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
COMaestro said:
Scarim Coral said:
Trying not to be Chronicle 2??? What, was the whole film shot in some camera including in impossible places??? (I never get why there was a camera in the hospital room especially when it was place across the bed?).

Seriously Sony, give it up. They clearly cannot write nor make a good superhero film and give it back to Maverl film studio already. They at least knows what the hell they are doing!
Fox has the FF rights, not Sony.
My bad, still only the creator aka Marvel seen to know how to make their film just right.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Teoes said:
Wait, I genuinely liked Chronicle, for what it was.

I, um.. hmm. Am I a bad person? Do I have shit taste? I've not enjoyed the FF films so far (don't think I've even seen either of them all the way through though..) and am not expecting to enjoy this one.

Help! Someone tell me what to think!
I love Chronicle. But it is the opposite of what I'd want in an FF film. The Silver Surfer movie? It should have had the epic tone and scope of the Lord of the Rings movie. Instead, it belonged on the Sci Fi channel.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I'd rather watch the mess because its not like they can do much to make this a better movie.

Give me something that is comically horrible and not just...well, horrible.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
TheRundownRabbit said:
I'd rather watch the mess because its not like they can do much to make this a better movie.

Give me something that is comically horrible and not just...well, horrible.
Pretty much this.

They obviously aren't going to do a full re-shoot, they're just going to alter a few scenes, so at best they're going to take something that's bad and just make it mediocre. Somehow, I'd much rather see a memorably bad movie than a mediocre one that I'll forget after I leave the theater.

I watched both previous Fantastic 4 movies and don't remember a single thing about either of them, but I watched the Nicholas Cage Ghostrider movie and actually remember most of the scenes and even some of the incredibly stupid dialogue.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
SweetShark said:
Jesus Christ Almighty, just wait for the movie to come out, THEN judge.
I WANT to see a similar movie like Chronicle. A long Origin story will set up the next movies fine.
Dr. Doom is going to be a disgruntled blogger. I feel pretty comfortable in judging this movie as shity right now. :p

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
They did re-shoots for Edge of Tomorrow and that turned out to be really good.

Also, if you read the article, it's basically "I was told by some anonymous source that it's a mess".
Not very reliable if you ask me.
People are constantly hating on this movie and we don't even have a trailer yet.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
HardkorSB said:
People are constantly hating on this movie and we don't even have a trailer yet.
That's pretty easy to do given how very little has been confirmed about the movie, and what little that has does not inspire confidence in any way. If it is anything other then a train wreck when it comes out, then it would be a genuine surprise.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
RJ 17 said:
SweetShark said:
Jesus Christ Almighty, just wait for the movie to come out, THEN judge.
I WANT to see a similar movie like Chronicle. A long Origin story will set up the next movies fine.
Dr. Doom is going to be a disgruntled blogger. I feel pretty comfortable in judging this movie as shity right now. :p
"Actually Reed, it's about ethics in video game journalism!"

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
They kind of always screw the fantastic four up from the beginning. They should have an older cast of character actors instead of trying to get good looking young people in the cast. Basically, it's an ensemble film, so having interesting characters or actors that can make a character interesting is pretty important.

I mean, canonically, wouldn't they all be fairly old by the time they became the fantastic four? All of them have graduated college, Ben had a career in the airforce as a test pilot already and Reed had both traveled around the world and founded his own company. Reed and Sue also have a sort of "may-december" romance as they met when she was still a teenager, which might make for an interesting plot point (and actually their romantic troubles take up a lot of the early character drama in canonically as well)

I'd say - cast Reed and Ben and as mid to late 30's ex-college roomates who have contrasting personalities and a hint of a shared history off screen doing some pulp adventure type stuff. Make them bicker about stuff, but when shit goes down they are totally in sync. The feel should be that maybe they're not super heroes yet, but veterans of some crazy adventures.

Cast Sue and Johnny as mid 20's sort of wet behind the ears typical people sort of thrown into craziness, with Sue being the long suffering girlfriend of Reed's that just got back together with him after an extended break (maybe not a really bad breakup, but one that left her upset). Johnny of course, as always, should be comedic relief. They could be the fill-in for the audience for normal people going on a crazy adventure (one that doesn't phase the more experienced Reed and Ben) - with Johnny being the type that embraces it and probably acts recklessly with Sue being more reluctant and level headed.

Hmm... I know that's pretty close to canon there, but I don't see the need to switch up the formula too much. Part of the problem I think naturally is going to be that the character relationships with 4 people are hard to develop of the course of a standard movie, so using some "tropes" if you will is a good way to short cut some of exposition/backstory that would need to be done.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This is worrying. Most movies shoot new scenes once they have edited together the main movie. But if they are spending millions extra on rebuilding set etc then there must be major issues with the movie. I think its more that its like Chronicles which is subtle for a superhero movie......maybe they wanted something big, loud and epic and fun. An whatever people say about previous two FF movies, atleast they were fun.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
lee1287 said:
What did they expect without Chris Evans to make it watchable?!
Even Chris Evans doesn't remember being in the last two Fantastic 4 movies.

Apr 5, 2008
I didn't *dislike* the first two. I liked the cast and thought the movies were enjoyable. Obviously Chris Evans is unlikely (almost certain) to want to be Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers, so a new reboot it is...of a franchise that isn't that old. I don't like the casting of the new FF and CBA with "yet another" origin story. I'm sick of origin stories at this point and another one for the same folks that had one not long ago is ridiculous.