Big Trouble in Little China Remake In The Works - Starring "The Rock"

coates32

Jun 10, 2011
While I'm not the biggest John Carpenter fan (was never really into horror movies), I've loved this film. Maybe instead of remaking Big Trouble in Little China, they should make a film that is inspired by that film.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Gorrath said:
RoboCop was a terrible remake. Total Recall was a terrible remake. A-Team, Conan, Clash of the Titans, Arthur, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Annie, Poltergeist, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Godzilla, : all terrible!
I agree on all counts. All pale imitations of the originals. However, the worldwide gross receipts (in millions) minus production costs speak mostly for themselves. In your list, only Conan lost money at the box office.
Robocop: $242-$100=$142 (holy crap! This made $184 foreign!??!)
Total Recall: $198-$125=$70
A-Team: $177-$110=$67
Conan: $49-$90=-$41 (yeah, this one was really bad)
Clash of the Titans: $493-$125=$168
Arthur: $46-$40=$6
Friday the 13th: $91-$19=$72
Halloween: $80-???=???
Annie: $133-$65=$68
Poltergeist: $48-???=???
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: $475-$150=$325
Godzilla: $529-$160=$369

Everybody is hoping for that remake that lands solidly and nets them some serious cash. How the hell did Robocop net $142 million dollars? That makes me sad.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It'll suck hard and completely miss the point with the original, so that means it'll be top of the box office because most movie goers don't give a shit.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Well on the bright side you can just never watch this and watch the original instead. I just wish they would stop pushing the rock as an action star he sucks in my view.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Well, I'm kind of torn. Even if the people who make the new version "get it..." at BEST they can make a movie that's good, but not as good as the original. So ultimately I say "no." And then I see the arguments above in the thread fearing changes because "Hollywood is too sjw to do it right because of racism." Or basically that's what some are complaining about.

Fine, now I want to see it. Now I want to see someone who "gets it," do it right. Because I'll tell you who will be complaining about "race" in BTiLC... racist white dudes. Like the idiots screaming about "reverse sexism" and misandry in the new Mad Max. Because to get BTiLC right, you have to realize that the main character isn't the story's hero... he's the ethnic minority comic-relief sidekick. That's what made BTiLC so good, even with such a hack clichéd premise as "hero's girl kidnapped, must storm the castle and get her back." It's different and good because it's not focused on and from the point of view of the story's hero, Wang Chi. It's the story of his comic-relief minority sidekick, Jack Burton. It's that shake up of traditional point of view and setting that makes BTiLC so fresh. If there's a point where (ugg, shudder) the Rock puts on some glasses and slacks and acts the stereotypical dumb Gwailo to get into the White Tiger... they'll be on the right track.

I don't necessarily see the Rock as a bad casting choice in itself. He's talented enough to be the goofy bumbling sidekick, scrambling around a fight because he can't draw his knife properly. But dude's build... it makes casting Wang Chi nearly impossible. Dude would have to be like Bruce Li to make the Rock look like Jack Burton. I kind of hate suggesting it (how he's in everything now anyway,) but you kind of need a Chris Pratt type to do Jack Burton and make casting Wang Chi go from casting the most ripped action guy, to just casting the best actor you can.

Well, I don't think it will be done right. But there ARE ways to do an OK job with it.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
No. Just no.

Come on, Hollywood! How about we stick to re-making (and fixing) bad movies, and let's just leave alone the ones that were done right the first time?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Huh. I thought most people were used to seeing Hollywood shit itself continuously with shitty remake after shitty remake. It's good that there's still passion here even though I've given up on Hollywood altogether and just call this the dark ages of film.

They remade Poltergeist for fuck sake! One of the most incredible experiences in film and they made a piss poor version of it with the same fucking name! I'm still waiting for them to say they're gonna remake Gone with the Wind, 2001: A Space Odyssey, a live-action Fantasia, Pulp Fiction w/ Samuel L. Jackson, and even more brain dead ideas I'm sure everyone here could easily contribute to.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Clankenbeard said:
Gorrath said:
RoboCop was a terrible remake. Total Recall was a terrible remake. A-Team, Conan, Clash of the Titans, Arthur, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Annie, Poltergeist, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Godzilla, : all terrible!
I agree on all counts. All pale imitations of the originals. However, the worldwide gross receipts (in millions) minus production costs speak mostly for themselves. In your list, only Conan lost money at the box office.
Robocop: $242-$100=$142 (holy crap! This made $184 foreign!??!)
Total Recall: $198-$125=$70
A-Team: $177-$110=$67
Conan: $49-$90=-$41 (yeah, this one was really bad)
Clash of the Titans: $493-$125=$168
Arthur: $46-$40=$6
Friday the 13th: $91-$19=$72
Halloween: $80-???=???
Annie: $133-$65=$68
Poltergeist: $48-???=???
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: $475-$150=$325
Godzilla: $529-$160=$369

Everybody is hoping for that remake that lands solidly and nets them some serious cash. How the hell did Robocop net $142 million dollars? That makes me sad.
Oh no doubt! If these remakes weren't profitable they wouldn't keep making them. But it's VERY shortsighted. Yes RoboCop made a bundle but it was so awful that I highly doubt a sequel would pull down anything near that much. If they had made a good reboot, we might get two or three more solid films in the franchise.

Look at Mad Max: Fury Road (not technically a reboot I know but it pretty much serves the same purpose). It's made 133 million so far (283 worldwide - 150) and was so fantastic it can pretty much print money for at least two more installments (that's assuming one or both installments aren't that great.) It's pretty obvious they are just throwing old IP against the wall to see what sticks but if they keep on being awful more often than not, we're going to end up with Spiderman-like levels of rebooting the reboot of the reboot. I'm preaching to the choir here of course, I'm just ranting out of anger. Bad movies generally don't do much more than bore me, RoboCop and Total Recall actually pissed me off. There isn't enough Kentucky whiskey in my house to make me forget!

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Someone posted this (and I had somehow missed it when it came out), but I have to agree that this is the only sequel I ever need: