Biggest immersion killers.

DoomDispenser

Mar 4, 2009
Kellerb said:
if quick travel is involved... oblivion, im looking at you.
I must say, 30 minute walks to my next destination is not my idea of immersion. Being bored in any part of a game is a real bummer. If you're going to make me walk 10 miles, at least put hordes of enemies in my way to keep me entertained.

As for fast travel, I don't find anything wrong with it if it fits into the game (magic, technology, etc).

IsoNeko

Oct 6, 2008
Duh-Duh-Duh-Duuuhhhhh.

Duh-Duh-Duh-Duhhhhhhh.

Duh-Duh-Duh-Duhhh, Da-da-da-da-da-da. Dah-da-da-duh-Duh. Bah-da-da, Bah-Da-da. Bah-Dadada, Ba-da-da, Bah-Da-Da- JORDAN SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Yeah, Playing Halo, Doing the tune alongisde the music, and getting told to shut up after the 3rd repeat of the tune.

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
Godofgame67 said:
Whenever the message Achievement Unlocked appears during the end scene.
Can you say "Buzzkill"?
It's gratifying as it is infuriating.

Personally, bad voice actors really do it for me. Gears of War is a really good example of this. John DiMaggio should've just stuck to voicing Bender.

IsoNeko

Oct 6, 2008
IsoNeko said:
Duh-Duh-Duh-Duuuhhhhh.

Duh-Duh-Duh-Duhhhhhhh.

Duh-Duh-Duh-Duhhh, Da-da-da-da-da-da. Dah-da-da-duh-Duh. Bah-da-da, Bah-Da-da. Bah-Dadada, Ba-da-da, Bah-Da-Da- JORDAN SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Yeah, Playing Halo, Doing the tune alongisde the music, and getting told to shut up after the 3rd repeat of the tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXDEscgiTa8&feature=related

That'd be from 00:28 onwards.

Skalman

Jul 29, 2008
Not hearing what characters in-game are saying because of ambient sound, music or environmental noise.
Crap plot.
Crap voice acting.
Crap story.
Cheesy music.
Cheesy lines.
Cheesy moments.
A moment which abandons all form of logic for the sake of furthering an already logic-lacking plot.
Crashes.
Poorly implemented or unintuitive controls.
Non-responsive controllers.
Invisible walls.
Spawning enemies.
Enemies possessing improbable aiming skills.
Enemies with regenerating health.
Ridiculous learning curve.
Ridiculously hard difficulty.
Ridiculously easy difficulty.
Ridiculously unlikely moments.
Areas blocked off by suspiciously placed cars/roadblocks/rubble.
Hallways with dozens of doors but only one which is unlocked/usable.
Graphics glitches.
Physics glitches.
Game breaking glitches and bugs.
Game mechanic glitches and bugs in general.
Poorly implemented game mechanics and/or features.
Health bars.
HUDs in general.
Unrealistic game mechanics claiming to be realistic. (such as a machine gun overheating in 10 seconds, or a brand new AK-47 jamming after having put only around 100 rounds downrange.)
Bad AI.
Hardware problems.
Not seeing your own body in FPS games.
Game developers expecting all players to be 'dumber than most rocks' and leaving ridiculous tips/hints in every loading screen.
Subtitles.
Necessity of subtitles because it's hard to hear/interpret the spoken dialogue.
Being disturbed while playing.
Frame rate drops.
RROD - Need I say more?

This was the only things I could think of from of the top of my head.
BTW, does anyone even read all this? o_O

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
First time I played Doom 3, I was getting scared shitless and everything...

And then the first time I saw the imp, I was mad scared (like level 1 or 2, idk)

And then next time they came out, there was a little section of the room off to the side that had a pillar that you could walk around, and they would follow you around it...so I killed everything in the room except for 1 imp, right?

So I went behind that pillar, he followed me over, and tried to attack me, and his fireball hit the pillar he was standing in front of, and he made "generic "I GOT HURT" sound" which made me realize that he hurt himself.

I spent the next 2 minutes kiting him around the pillar, making him shoot at me, inadvertently hurting himself until he died.

It was at this point where the entire game was broken to me. All because of bad AI.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
shadow skill said:
Bad controls, those have a way of killing all hope of immersion.
This.

Also, finding something that I cannot do as a player that I could logically do in real life.

And, while it didn't bother me at all in terms of immersion, the fact that I could steal any vehicle I had seen in the game until I saw that massive US Navy ship in Mercs 2 annoyed me to no end. I had already gone through many points where I thought "I can't possibly drive this thing" only to find I could, and as such had taken it for granted that I could drive anything.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Skalman said:
Not hearing what characters in-game are saying because of ambient sound, music or environmental noise.
Crap plot.
Crap voice acting.
Crap story.
Cheesy music.
Cheesy lines.
Cheesy moments.
A moment which abandons all form of logic for the sake of furthering an already logic-lacking plot.
Necessity of subtitles because it's hard to hear/interpret the spoken dialogue.

BTW, does anyone even read all this? o_O
You just described my issues with Mirror's Edge, and yes, I read all of it.

Gamegeneral

Dec 3, 2008
I would have to say that good quicktimes can actually immerse me more. Resident Evil 4 had a high hit ratio with them, but Jericho failed hard.
Also, Gamebreaking items. I understand that random chance is a good thing for item drops, but when I get the "OMGKILLZORS9001!" weapon in a game, and suddenly find that all my battles are fought by one character, (Especially if I sold a rare, normal-ish weapon when I equipped it, or it's "Cursed" and can't be removed by anyone except one old guy in the middle of f*cking nowhere.) I mean, usually a good boost in power turns on the "Oh yeah! Suck it, monster that was kicking my ass five minutes ago!" part of my ego, but when I suddenly one hit-kill, battles lose their emotion.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Invisible walls. Always. Not ones that make sense like at the edge of cliffs in a game where they just didn't want death from falling to be an issue, no. Ones that make no sense, like invisible partitions around small hills that sit between you and another perfectly explorable area.

Apr 28, 2008
mine is achievements/trophies tilling me when I beat the game.

honestly, couldn't they have waited until the end?
although thats only really for the PS3/360.

but another killer for me is when the game has bad voice acting, and/or bad animation.
that pretty much kills the mood

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
player names ... that's why i love mute players .. you can just pretend the guy is you and get sucked in

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Loading in the middle of a level.

I hate when you exit this huge cavern to see this massive castle right in front of you. You take a few steps towards it, and...

NOW LOADING.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
DoomDispenser said:
Kellerb said:
if quick travel is involved... oblivion, im looking at you.
I must say, 30 minute walks to my next destination is not my idea of immersion. Being bored in any part of a game is a real bummer. If you're going to make me walk 10 miles, at least put hordes of enemies in my way to keep me entertained.

As for fast travel, I don't find anything wrong with it if it fits into the game (magic, technology, etc).
i'm with you, i mean hell ... that world is fking huge ... the only reason i ever run is to train athletics and even then i gotta go grab some beers, put a tune on and load up 4 or five scrubs episodes because 1 side of the map to another is not going to end anytime soon

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
I'm suprised noones said it yet but death is a pretty big immersion killing, admittedly without it most games would SUCK, but when you die and go back afew minutes it'll knock you straight out of being really involved in the game.