Biggest immersion killers.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
Fallout 3 one of the most immersive games ever has one major flaw; in the ruins of DC the streets are fairly clear of rubble but at some points the streets are blocked off by mountains of stone, wich force you to travel through those annoying metro stations.

A real killer in a game that is so well made.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Xerosch said:
And I hate games with a time limit. I want to soak in the atmosphere and move on when I feel like it. It´s not that I have problems with timed events, but I don't like having a certain time to complete the complete game *Evil glare at Dead Rising*
I really hope they fix this in the sequel. Dead rising was like a mean teacher who gave you a wonderful playground full of amazing toys but only gave you a five minute lunch break to play in it.

Razakel

Mar 5, 2009
In an RPG the fact that I can jump some 3 feet in the air, but a small step, which is barely ankle high somehow stops me in my tracks.

In Oblivion, I have noticed a lot of people have problems with Oblivion, but my only real problem was the idea that "The world is going to end soon! We're being invaded by the Daedra, and if we don't act fast, they'll take over the world!", but I always have plenty of time to go about doing whatever I want( I love doing the Dark Brotherhood quests). Apparently these Daedra are kind enough to postpone their invasion to give me enough time to become stronger, and have fun before having to save the world from sure destruction. That's always an immersion killer for me... If this is such a serious catastrophe, why can I take it at my leisure...?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Tarmon said:
Fallout 3 one of the most immersive games ever has one major flaw; in the ruins of DC the streets are fairly clear of rubble but at some points the streets are blocked off by mountains of stone, wich force you to travel through those annoying metro stations.

I agree, those endless metro stations were boring. I keep telling myself the super mutants got thier behemoth pals to shift all the rubble and block the way in... it's the only logical explanantion I can find in my head.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
miracleofsound said:
Tarmon said:

I agree, those endless metro stations were boring. I keep telling myself the super mutants got thier behemoth pals to shift all the rubble and block the way in... it's the only logical explanantion I can find in my head.
Ummm, remember that you're walking around in a city wich is nuked to hell more then 200 years ago. You think everything will be a-ok in those metro tunnels then?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Assassinator said:
miracleofsound said:
Tarmon said:

Ummm, remember that you're walking around in a city wich is nuked to hell more then 200 years ago. You think everything will be a-ok in those metro tunnels then?
Er... your point exactly?

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
games like fallout and TES where you enter into a conversation and evything/one in the background freezes

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
How I cant move while aiming in resident evil. I don't know about you all but I would be running my fucking ass off and shooting at anything that resembles a body, not taking my time and carefully aiming in any scenario in those games. Its really unexcusable on 5, especially after dead space and gears of war fixed the movement problem.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
miracleofsound said:
Assassinator said:
miracleofsound said:
Tarmon said:

Er... your point exactly?
That I don't see the difficulty in having a logical explanation for the fraked up metro system ;-)

ke7eha

Jan 8, 2008
Ezzay said:
The god damn phone behind me ringing...
Actually, that can have a benefit to the immersion of a game or a film. Take for example, the film 'The Ring'

First time I watched it, a phone call [right when there was a cut to black] scared the crap out of everyone watching. Really lent itself to the immersion into the film.

JamminOz07

Nov 19, 2008
MGS4 is one of the worst for me...

Movie-length cut scenes and waiting for the game installations at the end of each 'act', killed any and all immersion built up during the actual game play sections. I mean, some of the cut scenes are epic and amazing, but I wanted to play the game you know? Not just watch someone else controlling my character. I got totally sick of that.. actually, I must complete that game...

pillaysteven

Jun 4, 2008
Probably save systems that use the XMB. Oblivion was very guilty of this and so is Fallout. I find it astounding how many companies use the XMB when they could easily put a coat of paint on it like Prince of Persia. Saving in general breaks immersion slightly but the XMB saving not only makes you realise you're playing a game but on top of that makes you realise that you are using a gaming console with an operating system.

Other immersion breakers include glitches, very bad framerates, clunky, unintuitive menus and HUDs that you focus on a lot such as the HUD in Assassin's Creed (the game plays better without any HUD, it should be without a HUD from the start and teach the audio cues instead of the visual cues to tell when you're being watched etc).