Biggest Oscar snubs/worst Oscar mistakes

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
The Oscars where this past sunday, so I felt inspired to make this thread.

What do you feel are some of the worst Oscar snubs/mistakes?

I felt Inception was the best movie I saw in 2010, and I just think best picture should go to what is the best movie, period, nothing else should matter, though honestly I don't remember what did win that year.

Dark Knight not winning best picture 2008.
That was such a bad snub I think it should be on here twice. Dark Knight not winning best picture for 2008.

How in the world did Dragonheart not win best original score? How the flying **** did it not even get nominated!
Warning Major, Major spoilers ending to Dragonheart.
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uq03hTWpE[/link]
If you haven't seen that movie, GO FIX THAT! If that scene doesn't move you, well I am sorry but it is a strong possibility you are likely soulless. While I say that mostly tongue-in-cheek, I nonetheless stand by it.

No best score nomination for Hans Zimmer's amazing job with the Last Samurai?

My biggest snub though without a doubt has to be:
Ken Watanabe not winning best supporting actor for Last Samurai. If not for Heath Ledger's joker, which I don't think anyone is ever going to top, Watanabe as Katsumoto would be the best performance I have ever seen. I didn't see Last Samurai until 2009, and had already seen Dark Knight 2-3 times, otherwise Watanabe would have been best performance I had seen until Ledger's Joker. Tom Cruise may have been the big name star, but Watanabe stole the show and then some in that film. He should have won best supporting actor AND best supporting actor, even though he wasn't even in the later category. That's how unbelievable it was.
The men under Katsumoto's leadership would have followed him to hell and back twice over. I would have followed him to hell and back twice over! and that was because of Watanabe's charisma and outstanding performance.

I had previously forgot to mention Last Samurai was made in 2003, which meant Watanabe had to go against the third lord of the rings, so in fairness some really tough competition, as Return of the King ran roughshod over the Oscars that year. So please forgive my oversight.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Going just by this year's Oscars, Cloud Atlas not getting a single nomination is a joke. It should have won Makeup (IMO), easily could have been in the running for Production Design, Visual Effects, Original Score, and Costuming and, if I had my way, would also be in the Best Picture race.

But it got nothing. Even the Globes gave it a nomination for something. I get that it was divisive, but not even a nomination for MAKEUP? That's a joke.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Drake the Dragonheart said:
My biggest snub though without a doubt has to be:
Ken Watanabe not winning best supporting actor for Last Samurai. If not for Heath Ledger's joker, which I don't think anyone is ever going to top, Watanabe as Katsumoto would be the best performance I have ever seen. I didn't see Last Samurai until 2009, and had already seen Dark Knight 2-3 times, otherwise Watanabe would have been best performance I had seen until Ledger's Joker. Tom Cruise may have been the big name star, but Watanabe stole the show and then some in that film. He should have won best supporting actor AND best supporting actor, even though he wasn't even in the later category. That's how unbelievable it was.
The men under Katsumoto's leadership would have followed him to hell and back twice over. I would have followed him to hell and back twice over! and that was because of Watanabe's charisma and outstanding performance.
I'm fairly certain The Last Samurai was made in 2003... the year that Return of the King cleaned up. BSA went to Tim Robbins, but I've never seen Mystic River so can't really comment, though I do agree to an extent that Ken Watanabe was pretty badass in that film. However, I'm more a fan of Hiroyuki Sanada, so... eh...

OT: I was pissed (and this can only be said in retrospect) that the Shawshank Redemption got seven nominations, but didn't win a damned thing at the 67th... *grrr*

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
If I recall correctly, Inception didn't win a lot of things in the Oscars a couple of years ago because the King's Speech came out that year. And who are a bunch of middle aged pretentious people going to vote for... The modern film filled with new ideas, amazing action sequences and a beautiful warped reality theme... Or the 'true story' movie which gives them a history-boner and makes them feel better about not listening to their parents back in the 1960s.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
I'm still pissed off that Looper didn't get any nominations at the Oscars. C'mon, just because it's sci-fi?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The constant discrimination against animated features that got so bad after Chicken Run not even getting nominated that lead to them being considered for best picture again in 2009. Of course, then it was just "Pixar wins everything", leaving fantastic movies like Tintin, Coraline, and The Pirates! screwed over.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
The constant discrimination against animated features that got so bad after Chicken Run not even getting nominated that lead to them being considered for best picture again in 2009. Of course, then it was just "Pixar wins everything", leaving fantastic movies like Tintin, Coraline, and The Pirates! screwed over.
I'm pissed off that ParaNorman lost Best Animated Feature too...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Froggy Slayer said:
Soviet Heavy said:
While I did like Paranorman, I can understand why it might not have been considered as much. It has its own problems, particularly the slow middle act and the dragged out ending. Still I enjoyed it more than Brave.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
The Hurt Locker winning Best Picture. Seriously, it wasn't that good. Also the lady who directed it winning Best Director. Than again that year the academy seemed to just give James Cameron a big middle finger.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Marter said:
Going just by this year's Oscars, Cloud Atlas not getting a single nomination is a joke. It should have won Makeup (IMO), easily could have been in the running for Production Design, Visual Effects, Original Score, and Costuming and, if I had my way, would also be in the Best Picture race.

But it got nothing. Even the Globes gave it a nomination for something. I get that it was divisive, but not even a nomination for MAKEUP? That's a joke.
I'm with you on this one Marter. Cloud Atlas was ignored. That movie deserved some recognition.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Luna said:
If I recall correctly, Inception didn't win a lot of things in the Oscars a couple of years ago because the King's Speech came out that year. And who are a bunch of middle aged pretentious people going to vote for... The modern film filled with new ideas, amazing action sequences and a beautiful warped reality theme... Or the 'true story' movie which gives them a history-boner and makes them feel better about not listening to their parents back in the 1960s.
I hate to tell you this, but the ideas in Inception aren't new. The whole false reality, dream within a dream has been done before. Philip K Dick wrote a lot of those kind of stories, A man in a high castle and we can remember it for you wholesale being examples. Add in some magic realism with a dash of French new wave cinema form the 60s and you pretty much get there. I watched the film and came away with the impression that it was tightly scripted, well acted, with some impressive effects but I felt I had seen all the elements before. The film was clever but not as clever as it thought it was.

noxymoron19

Feb 4, 2011
Luna said:
While Inception was absolutely great in theatres, my problem with it is that when you rewatch it the first half is dreadfully boring because the movie is holding you hand the whole time. I agree with you on the kings speech though, I just hated that movie so much.

Staying in the same year my snub would be 127 hours. How Danny Boyle managed to pull that movie off is still beyond me. That movie was the best thing to come out that year.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Froggy Slayer said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I really loved both Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2. How To Train Your Dragon I thought was really good as well.

I really want to see Cloud Atlas, and Lincoln, but might have to wait until the DVD's come out.

Waykunbayk

Feb 27, 2011
Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture in a year with Saving Private Ryan in the running. But to be honest, I didn't watch it at the time. A year ago or so I rented that turd from Blockbuster based on its Oscar haul, and I've never forgiven it. I'd rather watch Eurotrip.