Bill Cosby is now out of jail.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
That I hope he dies alone knowing that he's one of the most hated people in the world.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Fat Albert fell from grace hard as fuck, hope he didn't bounce.

Cosby is in his 70's right? Dude will live out the rest of his life in isolation, only supported by whoever he pays to assist him with shit. Kinda fucked up because he basically got away with it. I mean even if he remained in jail for the rest of his life, he lived 65+ years of freely being a scummy fucker, so justice wasn't really served unless someone in jail gave him the Ol pudding Pop.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Hate it, pisses me off. But also what other deals are DAs cutting with criminals to give them basically life-long immunity? Is this why it took decades to get Epstein and Weinstein? Is this why Trump can't be touched for flying on the rape plane a few dozen times? Or Clinton? How is it not a breach of the social contract and the trust of public that prosecutors just make deals like this?
I may not live in Pennsylvania, but I certainly don't pay state taxes so the DA of St. Louis just cuts deals with serial rapists to avoid prosecution in exchange for what, admitting they raped people?

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I may not live in Pennsylvania, but I certainly don't pay state taxes so the DA of St. Louis just cuts deals with serial rapists to avoid prosecution in exchange for what, admitting they raped people?
Please forgive me for this digression, but it's interesting to note that St. Louis doesn't have a DA. Neither the city nor the county. Or rather, they don't have a DA that's called a "district attorney." The City has a "Circuit Attorney" and the county (which is a separate legal entity, as those outside of Missouri might not know) has a "Prosecuting Attorney"
Why is this the case? Beats me. It's just a St. Louis thing, like gooey butter cake and toasted ravioli.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Please forgive me for this digression, but it's interesting to note that St. Louis doesn't have a DA. Neither the city nor the county. Or rather, they don't have a DA that's called a "district attorney." The City has a "Circuit Attorney" and the county (which is a separate legal entity, as those outside of Missouri might not know) has a "Prosecuting Attorney"
Why is this the case? Beats me. It's just a St. Louis thing, like gooey butter cake and toasted ravioli.
Hey don't knock toasted ravioli, its the best! Gooey butter cake, take it or leave it. Desserts were never my thing.
As far as our judicial stuff, we've always been an odd bunch. I suspect it dates back to the Civil War, and how we were a "border" state, but were really a slave state in all but name. Probably some history there, but at least from what I know there is no real difference between the circuit attorney and a regular DA.
Its like here its St. Louis Bread Co, and everywhere else its Panera Bread.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Hey don't knock toasted ravioli, its the best!
I agree. I was just saying it's a distinct part of St. Louis.
I suspect it dates back to the Civil War, and how we were a "border" state, but were really a slave state in all but name.
Missouri was a slave state, and one of 4 that fought for the Union.

Probably some history there, but at least from what I know there is no real difference between the circuit attorney and a regular DA.
You are correct.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Does nobody realize he got off for a 100% completely legit reason? They didn't have enough evidence to convict criminally so they promised immunity if he testified in the Constand civil case so that Constand could at least get monetary justice because civil requires less evidence than criminal (like the OJ criminal case vs civil case for example). Then, they used Cosby's testimony against himself in the criminal trial that shouldn't have happened.

Reactions: Ravinoff

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Does nobody realize he got off for a 100% completely legit reason? They didn't have enough evidence to convict criminally so they promised immunity if he testified in the Constand civil case so that Constand could at least get monetary justice because civil requires less evidence than criminal (like the OJ criminal case vs civil case for example). Then, they used Cosby's testimony against himself in the criminal trial that shouldn't have happened.
You'll have to forgive us for not celebrating the fact that an admitted rapist got off on a technicality.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
One can understand that it's the correct decision while also being upset that it's not a just decision and that Cosby should still be in prison because he is a rapist.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You'll have to forgive us for not celebrating the fact that an admitted rapist got off on a technicality.
One can understand that it's the correct decision while also being upset that it's not a just decision and that Cosby should still be in prison because he is a rapist.
It wasn't a technicality, the prosecutor saw that there wasn't enough evidence and wanted the victim to at least get a monetary victory in civil court. It's not like some clerical error got him off. Not that I don't think Cosby should almost certainly be in prison it seems (I don't know the ins and outs of the cases and claims against him), but if you send people to jail because we're pretty sure they did it, that's a pretty shitty precedent and completely against the values of our legal system. Our values is very much towards not putting innocent people in prison with the trade-off being some criminals get off because of lack of evidence vs putting just about all criminals in prison with the trade-off of many innocent people then being in prison. If you were on trial for something, you'd want to have your guilt proven vs "well... they probably did it", right?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It wasn't a technicality, the prosecutor saw that there wasn't enough evidence and wanted the victim to at least get a monetary victory in civil court. It's not like some clerical error got him off. Not that I don't think Cosby should almost certainly be in prison it seems (I don't know the ins and outs of the cases and claims against him), but if you send people to jail because we're pretty sure they did it, that's a pretty shitty precedent and completely against the values of our legal system. Our values is very much towards not putting innocent people in prison with the trade-off being some criminals get off because of lack of evidence vs putting just about all criminals in prison with the trade-off of many innocent people then being in prison. If you were on trial for something, you'd want to have your guilt proven vs "well... they probably did it", right?
There are plenty of people not in prison who should be, and there are plenty in prison currently who should not be, and it's perfectly reasonable to be upset about both, especially when we get evidence of their innocence or guilt after the fact.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
There are plenty of people not in prison who should be, and there are plenty in prison currently who should not be, and it's perfectly reasonable to be upset about both, especially when we get evidence of their innocence or guilt after the fact.
I realize that and I'm upset that a rapist got off but it is how our system works and I'd rather have this system (at least the ideals because the system doesn't always work to those ideals obviously) than the alternative. At least the victim did indeed get a monetary victory because she might not have even gotten that if Cosby didn't agree to the immunity deal in the 1st place.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

Conviction was overturned. Any thoughts on this?
My, expensive lawyers are handy, aren't they?

He admitted something as part of a prior case which turned out to be incriminating, but because various reasons that means it can't be used for the case he was convicted on, therefore that's another rapist who has got off, and even worse, on a technicality.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
My, expensive lawyers are handy, aren't they?

He admitted something as part of a prior case which turned out to be incriminating, but because various reasons that means it can't be used for the case he was convicted on, therefore that's another rapist who has got off, and even worse, on a technicality.
No need for expensive lawyers when the state breaks your constitutional rights. The 5th amendment is not a technicality.

Reactions: CM156