Bill Gates is Against the Global Poor Receiving Affordable Vaccines

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Biden just agreed to negotiate down the IP protections, but Germany on the other hand refuses to budge on the Pfizer vaccine.

Merkel and the German government are sociopathic.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If it doesn't happen under Biden, who gives a fuck?
What? Presumably people who want it to happen.

Is this the old 'disagreements about likelihood = not caring' canard again?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If it doesn't happen under Biden, who gives a fuck if it also wouldn't have happened under Trump?
And if it does, it's clearly relevant to the argument that they're not interchangeable.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The obvious logic here is that as vaccines spread throughout the world, people are going to go for the cheapest ones wherever possible.

If the West doesn't fancy subsidising or breaking the patents on its vaccines, Russia (Sputnik) and China (Sinovac) can take the plaudits instead. I'm pretty sure that's not an attractive option politically.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
If the West doesn't fancy subsidising or breaking the patents on its vaccines, Russia (Sputnik) and China (Sinovac) can take the plaudits instead. I'm pretty sure that's not an attractive option politically.
American diplomats, two years from now: "Well, sure, we were willing to let your people die by the millions because it wasn't cost-effective to save them, but I just don't understand why you're allying with the people who did save you instead of with us!"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Australia is also opposing waiving patents, whilst talking about going to war with China. Sigh.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
The West actually does subsidize their vaccines and the Russian and Chinese versions ar not actually free or even only patent-free either.