Bill Gates is Against the Global Poor Receiving Affordable Vaccines

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah, when we jut let shit like *this* slide, we don't really have a leg to stand on
"Burr...stated that he only used publicly available information to make his decisions." Uh-huh. So he magically wiped all those non-public facts from his brain, did he?

In a sense, it's hard to prove. There will undoubtedly be public information out there to justify a decision. However, even someone well-intentioned could not help but contextualise public information with the secret information that they also knew.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
When it comes to free enterprise, free markets, capitalism, whatever you want to call it. It's a monopoly of an economic ideology that is prevalent in this world. This is dangerous, and whenever monopolies of anything appear without a countervailing opposition or check it will run amok. This can either be late-stage capitalism or it can be the beginning of a new plutocratic corporatocracy if we aren't in it already in the US.

In the US there are almost no checks or opposition parties on the excess of capitalism. Unions aren't what they used to be, finance has been deregulated by Clinton, SCOTUS is under corporate control, so is the legislative, and executive branch. Civil society, academics are too co-opted. And there's no running away from it, wherever you go capitalism or rather its agents will find you. And there's no way to boycott.

If you think liberals are saving you think again. The public face of academics, Hollywood, civil society, and so fore may look compassionate on the surface, but behind is a complex army of lobbyists, special interests, and lawyers really to back their interests at the detriment of society.

Reactions: Ender910

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If you think liberals are saving you think again. The public face of academics, Hollywood, civil society, and so fore may look compassionate on the surface, but behind is a complex army of lobbyists, special interests, and lawyers really to back their interests at the detriment of society.
Please don't include us academics in there. We're too busy brainwashing students into far left ideology to fight capitalism directly.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
On the record, I blame all of you for breaking up their marriage.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
These people are not our friends. If given the choice between money and ethics, when push comes to shove, they'll choose money. Always. Instantly. Won't even think twice.
The kicker is it’s not even a naturally occurring thing; it’s just a socioeconomic construct we humans created and we’re basing our existence and the well being of the entire race on it. There are better ways to maintain order and structure, but they wouldn’t appeal as well to humanity’s dark side either.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Bill can have twenty more divorces for all I care. As long as he remains a billionaire, he is still an obstacle to a better world where people don't hoard their wealth, and soon to be technology.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well hopefully it's not going to be his (or Big Pharma's) call soon enough...

I'm not sure what this might mean in real life as Biden says a lot of shit and then does nothing to make it actually happen but I'd like to think this means that at least this one obstacle will be cleared soon enough...

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well hopefully it's not going to be his (or Big Pharma's) call soon enough...

I'm not sure what this might mean in real life as Biden says a lot of shit and then does nothing to make it actually happen but I'd like to think this means that at least this one obstacle will be cleared soon enough...
This would have been an unimaginable move under the last administration. I hope the "politicians are all the same!" crowd take some notes, at least.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
This would have been an unimaginable move under the last administration. I hope the "politicians are all the same!" crowd take some notes, at least.
It probably won't happen in this case and 'unimaginable' is a stretch, though it probably wouldn't have happened in that case either.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Please don't include us academics in there. We're too busy brainwashing students into far left ideology to fight capitalism directly.
Who do you think funds the universities with grants oftentimes? I will give you a hint it's not just governments.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
This is firstly not going anywhere, and secondly entirely imaginable under the last administration.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Who do you think funds the universities with grants oftentimes? I will give you a hint it's not just governments.

The inevitable 'we need to get money from somewhere'. It doesn't matter if it government, corporate or even just a philanthropist. It will always be tainted

That being said, I prefer the money to at least pretend they want to be helpful. Every now and then it accidently falls down and actually helps people. I definitely don't want the money to be more destructive than it already is by just dumping all (very little) morals it has

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
This is firstly not going anywhere, and secondly entirely imaginable under the last administration.
The last administration, which created a bidding war between states for ventilators and other lifesaving equipment?

He didn't even follow through on his promise to allow Medicare to negotiate price. I do not believe that he would follow through on this.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The last administration, which created a bidding war between states for ventilators and other lifesaving equipment?

He didn't even follow through on his promise to allow Medicare to negotiate price. I do not believe that he would follow through on this.
But it would have been imaginable. Empty promises and very speculative hope are part of Trump's appeal. And Biden's.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
But it would have been imaginable. Empty promises and very speculative hope are part of Trump's appeal. And Biden's.
OK. But I find the idea that the likelihood would be equal under both administrations to be reductive and a bit laughable.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
OK. But I find the idea that the likelihood would be equal under both administrations to be reductive and a bit laughable.
If it doesn't happen under Biden, who gives a fuck?