Bill Gates Will Save 7.5 Million Kids This Decade

robrob

Oct 21, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Sorry...

Bill is worth $50 billion. His house is worth $125 million.

Giving away 1/5 of his income has produced wonderful results, but would any of us be held in the same manner for similar donations?

Again, I'm sorry but...it's a lot easier to be a philanthropist once you have the money you've made off of other people.
Not 1/5th of his income, but 1/5th of his net worth, and it's in one project (this isn't the only project he'll be carrying out, he still has his charity helping education and medical research and such). That's one hell of a lot, regardless of who you are.

People do donate more, of course (percentage, not dollar), some people give their entire lives to charity, and they aren't widely recognised but they are held in high regard by those around them. Gates also purposely publicises it this much, to encourage others to do the same.

And as mentioned, where exactly does money come from if not other people? Only people with magic money trees should be thought well of if they donate? Gates is giving away everything while plenty of millionaires/billionaires in history horde or try to make themselves richer. It's a big thing to go in the opposite direction from what you've done all your life, purely to help others.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Sorry to be a pesimist. Where are these vaccines going to? Is it to a place where kids a going to survive to a hunger infested area? I know there are up and down sides to allowing children to live in poberty and upgrading children lives while letting others die.

Still, Bill and Melinda Gates greatest philanthropers ever.

Carlos Slim should be doing the same.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
and this week steve jobs released a bigger ipod touch with less features but bigger screen.

Microsoft is evil HOW AGAIN?

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Before Bill was a rich bastard, then he was a very rich bastard...then he was super rich bastard...then he became UBER rich bastard...now he is rish super, duper, uber, epic , legendary, AWESOME dude who is saving the lifes of millions of children....

Assuming the devil has internet im pretty sure he is cursing the hell outta mr Gates right now.

Im glad at least now that he is old n has no idea what to do with his money at least mr Gates is deciding to fight the good fight. I remember a video of him i saw last year when he talked how we could improve the School System. . . it was brilliant :O

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
This makes me want to strangle Steve Jobs' black turtled neck for ever standing in Mr. Gate's way.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
GG Bill. Glad to see someone is putting their fortune to good use.

swaki said:
but i dont think he should be lashing out at CEOs, he is still in a entirely different class, that would be like if i guilt tripped homeless people to donate money.
Eh... No.

I mean, yeah he is in a different class, but not THAT different. He's not challenging the "average Joe", he's challenging people with private jets and mansions. Maybe they don't have trillions in surplus, but they aren't exactly living on a budget either. He never said they had to match his donations, just that they should contribute too.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
First he retires from Microsoft, then he does this.

Mr. Gates, I think I'm growing fond of you.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
The world's richest man also happens to be a nice guy. Cool, that's good for humanity.

(Buffet might be richer now, I don't keep track anymore. Point still stands.)

Duol

Aug 18, 2008
Great...
Not like they need food or anything? Or clothes? Or shelter? Or getting rid of horrible dictators?
Sorry but why vaccinate people so they can continue to live longer in poverty? Just exacerbates the problem.
Provide the basics for the people that are already there. Then worry about vaccines...
That's just my pessimistic opinion though. At least he's doing something of magnitude, unlike most people with simillar quantities of wealth.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Duol said:
Great...
Not like they need food or anything? Or clothes? Or shelter? Or getting rid of horrible dictators?
Sorry but why vaccinate people so they can continue to live longer in poverty? Just exacerbates the problem.
Provide the basics for the people that are already there. Then worry about vaccines...
So it's better to give food to people dying horribly of diseases that could be cured by the vaccines?

It goes both ways... Why vaccines? Why not? Vaccines are pretty necessary, and there ARE plenty of people dying of things these vaccines can cure.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
MR T3D said:
and this week steve jobs released a bigger ipod touch with less features but bigger screen.

Microsoft is evil HOW AGAIN?
Hahaha, that made my day.

I have to say, Bill Gates is a hell of a guy. He could just as easily kept all his money for himself - and I wouldn't blame him (after all, I'm not entitled to his money - or anyone else's, so it doesn't bother me that other people are richer than I am or will be), yet he chose to spend some of it (actually, a shitload) to save a bunch of lives of people he has never even seen or met or heard of. I admire that.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
WanderFreak said:
Bill Gates is one of those rare people with money who puts his money where his mouth is.

I hate these celebrities who put on multi million dollar performances and campaigns (why not just give the money straight?) asking people like me to give money. You make millions of dollars every year, in some cases for a single week's work, and you want me to give money? It just comes across as so self serving and arrogant of them.

Along comes Bill Gates, who puts his hand on your shoulder and says "Don't worry, I got this."

Say what you will about the man's business, he damn well puts his money to good use.
This, very, very this.

The guys at Penny Arcade are still legends though.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Bill Gates is saving Microsoft's reputation by himself. It's strange that a company so well known for its cheapness has such a generous CEO.

Duol

Aug 18, 2008
Caliostro said:
Duol said:
Great...
So it's better to give food to people dying horribly of diseases that could be cured by the vaccines?

It goes both ways... Why vaccines? Why not? Vaccines are pretty necessary, and there ARE plenty of people dying of things these vaccines can cure.
Vaccines are not some miricale cure that you can inject people with and bye bye diseases xyz, well as far as I know anyway. The biggest killers such as AIDS and Malaria don't even have vaccines yet. More money into R&D in my opinion would make vaccine oriented charity more effective. But then again why not hand out condoms? Stop aids through other means than brute forcing it with drugs?

Of course vaccines are important, but I don't see the point in helping people stay alive in poverty. Get them fed and educated then maybe they can make their own vaccines?

Of course you can then argue they will never live long enough to make use of education and excape poverty even though they have food because they die of infectious diseases and viruses...

That's just the nature of poverty. Take your' pick of what you find important. Unless you can cover all the bases (good luck) it's an uphill battle that you're probably gonna loose.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
*tips his hat of to bill gates*
Thats nice and it truly is not being a CEO of anything he doesn't have to do this for P.R reasons.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This guy is incredible. Not too long ago he was the richest man on the planet and yet I read an article that stated that he gave over 60% of what he made to various charities around the globe! And he doesn't go out and flaunt this information either, he's apparently quite humble about it.

Bill Gates is awesome!

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Bill Gates saves 7.5 million kids. In other news, Microsoft announces marketing initiative to create 7.5 million new Windows and XBox 360 customers.

I'm on to you, Bill...

(seriously, though, nobody puts his money to better use than Gates does.)