Bill Gates Will Save 7.5 Million Kids This Decade

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Kajin said:
Again, I'm sorry but...it's a lot easier to be a philanthropist once you have the money you've made off of other people.
Would you rather he not?

OT: Bill Gates is an inspiration for rich people everywhere! Yay!
Again, I've said that it's a great thing he's done. But shouldn't that money be better coming from those responsible, rather than a donation from a figure rather synonymous with "lenient" business practices?
sgtshock said:
True, but when's the last time you remember someone else donating 1/5th of their income to charity? Not to mention he plans to give most of the rest of his money to charity after he dies.
If I gave 2 thousand pounds to the RSPCA, would I even get a footnote in the papers?

Yes, it's a good thing for the sufferers. I just don't believe we should be holding him as a saint. An example, maybe. Especially to the banks.

Amarok said:
You can't just scorn generosity like that because he can spare it. It's just a bit... grinchy.
I never said it was a popular view. I expect polarisation here. I just hope the Foundation know how to deal with the lives they have just saved.
Umm I don't think the viruses and diseases they are fighting against really have the money to pay. I could be wrong but I just can't see microscopic organisms having wallets big enough to pay. And if you are expecting the people who are effected by this to pay don't you think they would if they you know weren't to busy being poor and hungry.

You know what pisses me off. Not that Bll did this because that is amazing. The fact that he had too do it pisses me off. Why can't we who have lots make the vaccines and give them to those who have nothing. Why does someone need to invest 10 million dollars to get this shit going? Why does the money factor the important factor and the human life factor is forgotten?

Xanadeas

Oct 19, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
The man deserves a statue made of pure gold.
He'd probably melt it down and turn it into more funds for more saving lives.

I've always liked Bill Gates... I usually hate the obscenely rich but this is a man that is constantly donating to charity. I mean... c'mon.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
He still gets shit on constantly. Yet I have nothing to complain at him personally about.

He basically popularized computers which I love.
He made windows which has always worked for me (always <---).
Finally he's spending a fuck ton of money to help people globally. Something that almost nobody rich does without demanding money from everyone.
Plus he is loveable as all heck. (As far as personalities go)

I'd give the dude a hug if I wasn't worried my poorness might kill him instantly.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Jesus... That's almost twice the population of my country.
I think Gates is one of those people who actually deserves what he has... I think so anyway.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Say what you want about his products, but this guy is just a nice dude. Probably someone who more people should look up to, honestly, because this is just a good thing to do. While so many other celebrities tell people to donate money but selfishly hold on to every last penny of theirs, Bill Gates has actually done something. He makes more money a year than I and many of us will probably make in our entire lifetimes and he decides to help others. That is a cool thing to do.

Feb 13, 2008
squid5580 said:
Umm I don't think the viruses and diseases they are fighting against really have the money to pay. I could be wrong but I just can't see microscopic organisms having wallets big enough to pay. And if you are expecting the people who are effected by this to pay don't you think they would if they you know weren't to busy being poor and hungry.
Ho Ho...I think you understand I mean the people responsible to those sufferers.

The fact that he had too do it pisses me off. Why can't we who have lots make the vaccines and give them to those who have nothing. Why does someone need to invest 10 million dollars to get this shit going? Why does the money factor the important factor and the human life factor is forgotten?
That's where I'm coming from. There's a lot better places for $10 billion to go apart from saving lives that should never have been endangered. And it really rubs me the wrong way that it has to be a philanthropist who decides rather than a politician, a surgeon general or , god help us, a medical company.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
The man deserves a statue made of pure gold.
He already has one, probably.

In all seriousness good on Mr.Gates, It's nice to know that around 7.5 million lives aren't going to end.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
oppp7 said:
Bill Gates is saving Microsoft's reputation by himself. It's strange that a company so well known for its cheapness has such a generous CEO.
He retired like a year ago to work on saving the world.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Sorry...

Bill is worth $50 billion. His house is worth $125 million.

Giving away 1/5 of his income has produced wonderful results, but would any of us be held in the same manner for similar donations?

Again, I'm sorry but...it's a lot easier to be a philanthropist once you have the money you've made off of other people.
It's not 1/5 of his income. It's 20% of his total value. He doesn't make $50,000,000,000 every year, I assure you.

Anyone donating 20% of their total wealth is impressive as all hell, it doesn't matter who it is.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Damn it! Karma only works if you don't say it. Now he lost some! *grumbles away

OT: What a very nice guy. +7 million respect points for him.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Sorry...

Bill is worth $50 billion. His house is worth $125 million.

Giving away 1/5 of his income has produced wonderful results, but would any of us be held in the same manner for similar donations?

His worth is 50 billion. That's not his income, that's the total value of everything he owns (unless I'm misunderstanding your statistic). I highly doubt that he brings in $50 billion annually.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Sorry...
it's a lot easier to be a philanthropist once you have the money you've made off of other people.
Isn't that kinda how you make money to begin with or have I been missing something?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Bill Gates is a true humanitarian. I say more people should follow this man's example. Also could i get one of those diarrhea vaccines. Clogging toilets is a workout