Bill Gates Will Save 7.5 Million Kids This Decade

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Alphavillain said:
Yeah, I don't understand people that hate Bill Gates. They tend to be the same people that love Apple, and they tend to write "Micro$oft", but never, for example, "$ony", or "$amsung" (because those are non-American companies, or because they resent MS?).

The guy's been very successful and he's giving a lot back: what's wrong with that?
I've never met an Apple user that wasn't trying to be "edgy" or "hip". Just saying.

OT - This is the largest ammount I've heard of Bill Gates giving, but it's not the first time. I'm willing to bet that he's already got a few more plans up his sleeve. Maybe 10,000 360s for Child's Play?

CoronaryThrombosis

Apr 15, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Sorry...

Bill is worth $50 billion. His house is worth $125 million.

Giving away 1/5 of his income has produced wonderful results, but would any of us be held in the same manner for similar donations?

Again, I'm sorry but...it's a lot easier to be a philanthropist once you have the money you've made off of other people.
I hate to pile jump here, but the article says the foundation has given away $21 billion since its inception. That's 42% of his net worth, not 20%.

And I don't know where you're from, but if I donated only 42% of my yearly income (not even 42% of my net worth) to any cause, I would get my name in the local and regional papers.

Taco of flames

May 30, 2009
Azmael Silverlance said:
Assuming the Devil has internet I'm pretty sure he is cursing the hell outta Mr. Gates right now.
Hell has no internet service, which is the reason it is Hell.

OT: I am very appoint. But I want to know, is he using the money to develop new vaccines, or just to supply already existing ones? The former may prove more useful in the long run, but the latter is an equally just cause.

Phyroxis

Witty Title Here
Apr 18, 2008
Excellent. On to solving the military-industrial-complex issue.

Also, world hunger.

Go Gates! Go!

Kamaitachi

Dec 17, 2009
if I had all this money, I would probably do the same thing, when your rich, you realise : "I am never going to spend this ammount of money in my entire life-time, what use is it?

but props to bill gates for actually following through with something like this, didn't he always say that he hated his wealth?

Kamaitachi

Dec 17, 2009
Malicious said:
tmujir955 said:
Malicious said:
Finally he decided to help people. If i had 44 BILLION dollars i wouldn't be a selfish prick, id share it with poor people. There is no way you could ever need more than 10 billion dollars in your whole luxurious existence, so why not help people. I applaud this action by Gates, though id go for food and shelter rather than all out vaccines.
10 billion?

I doubt you need that much. You could have a very good life living on 1 billion. After all, that's $100,000,000. Millionaires get by pretty well, too. So keeping 10 billion for yourself is hardly necessary.
I agree, i wrote 1 billion first but seeing as how Gates has over 40 billion ahd he did work pretty hard, 10 billion would be kinda alright for him. For the rest of us id say a 100 million would be enough for a good luxurious life.

Dude, half a mil is more than enough money you could ever spend in your lifetime.

Samurai Ralan

May 8, 2009
Greg Tito said:

I don't know about you, but I'm kind of in awe at what this man is trying to accomplish. You hear about death tolls and the numbers of people affected by disasters all the time. How many individuals in the history of the world can claim that they personally have saved the lives of 7 million kids?

Bill Gates, you just received 7.6 million kharma points.

Source: CNN [http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01/29/davos.bill.gates.donates/index.html]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndevil/3726201015/])

Not to take away, but the answer to your question is one, Norman Borlaug. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug
Credited with saving 1 billion lives around the world, and hardly anyone knows who he is.

Racistman3d

Jul 6, 2009
If Steve Jobs donates at least 1/5th of his money, I might consider buying one of his large over priced iPhones.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Greg Tito said:

Bill Gates pledged $10 billion in vaccines over the next ten years, which he has projected to save over 7.5 million lives.

Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Bill and his wife Melinda said that their vaccine program will focus on diseases such as AIDS, tuberculosis, rota virus and pneumonia. Gates has been concentrating on philanthropic work with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation since he stepped down as Microsoft CEO in 2008. The Foundation has contributed $21 billion since it was founded in 1994, but the $10 billion is the largest donation to a single cause ever recorded. Living up to his nerd cred, Gates claimed that they ran a complex statistical analysis and found that these vaccines could save over 7 million lives from 2010 to 2019.

"We must make this the decade of vaccines," said Bill Gates.

"Vaccines are a miracle," his wife Melinda added. "With just a few doses, they can prevent deadly diseases for a lifetime. We've made vaccines our priority at the Gates Foundation because we've seen firsthand their incredible impact on children's lives."

Bill Gates went on:

By significantly scaling up the delivery of life-saving vaccines in developing countries to 90 percent coverage -- including new vaccines to prevent severe diarrhea and pneumonia -- the model suggests that we could prevent the deaths of some 7.6 million children under 5 from 2010-2019.

Gates also took a shot at other big shots and challenged bankers to use their excessive bonuses to travel to places like Africa to see what their could do there.

I don't know about you, but I'm kind of in awe at what this man is trying to accomplish. You hear about death tolls and the numbers of people affected by disasters all the time. How many individuals in the history of the world can claim that they personally have saved the lives of 7 million kids?

Bill Gates, you just received 7.6 million kharma points.

Source: CNN [http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01/29/davos.bill.gates.donates/index.html]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndevil/3726201015/])

I can think of one person who outdid Gates by a large margin. Think saving roughly a Billion lives in his lifetime. That's Billion with a B. That's not just an exaggeration either. Many people estimate he fed several billion people in the world. If it weren't for Borlaug, we wouldn't have the amazing crop yields we have today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy2sLKf0oYM&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEBtO25xW-o&fmt=18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

Although Bill Gates is definitely supporting the research to help feed the poor as well, and thus he is definitely a cool guy. Hats off to Gates.

May Borlaug rest in peace.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
He lives in a mansion worth half a million childrens lives. In the world we live in he still classes as a respectable human being, but hardly a paragon of charity.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Whenever I see things like "All Micro$hit and Bill Gate$ care about iz money and sucking your blood *and more general whining*" on forums, I just facepalm.
Bill Gates has probably done more to charity than you'll ever do, and doesn't work in Microsoft.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
swaki said:
he really is a nice dude, ive heard that once he kicks it 90% of his earthly belongings goes to charity.

but i dont think he should be lashing out at CEOs, he is still in a entirely different class, that would be like if i guilt tripped homeless people to donate money.

maybe Jobs can save 750.000 kids with his new iPad money.
More like a queen lashing out at the nobility that although she can do the most individually, they can accomplish much more than her collectively.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Rack said:
He lives in a mansion worth half a million childrens lives. In the world we live in he still classes as a respectable human being, but hardly a paragon of charity.
Yes, I'm sure he used bones to build it as well.

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
swaki said:
maybe Jobs can save 750.000 kids with his new iPad money.
He never has, he isn't doing it right now and he probably won't be do anything like this in the future.

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
His company has come out with some shitty product in past years (*cough*VISTA*cough*), but after hearing about this I now forgive them all.

Mr. Gates, I tip my (metaphorical) hat to you.