Bill Murray Fancasts His Preferred Female Ghostbusters Team

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Bill Murray Fancasts His Preferred Female Ghostbusters Team

Bill Murray thinks Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wigg would be "spectacular" on an all-female Ghostbusters team.

Back in August, we learned of a possible <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ghostbusters?from_search=1>Ghostbusters reboot with a unique twist: <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136599-Bridesmaids-Director-In-Talks-For-Female-Led-Reboot-of-Ghostbusters>it would introduce a new, all-female team. While still very much a rumor, the project is supposedly backed by Ivan Reitman, would be directed by Paul Feig, and would draw from Hollywood's talented female comedians. Sure, rumors certainly aren't sure things in the movie business. But that hasn't stopped original Ghostbuster Bill Murray from expressing support at the Toronto International Film Festival, and even making casting suggestions of his own.

"I'm fine with it," Murray said. "I would go to that movie, and they'd probably have better outfits, too."

Murray won't be involved in a new Ghostbusters film, but did select his dream team. "Melissa (McCarthy) would be a spectacular Ghostbuster," he said. "And Kristen Wiig is so funny - God, she's funny! I like this girl Linda Cardellini a lot. And Emma Stone is funny. There are some funny girls out there."

McCarthy, who co-starred with Murray in the comedy-drama St. Vincent, hasn't been approached about Ghostbusters but would love to be involved. "Listen, if the people I think are doing it are doing it, I must never question them," McCarthy said. "Oh, my God, that's daunting. That's taking on a legend, a legendary movie. But I would do anything with those ladies, anything at all."

Other actresses rumored to be in Ghostbusters include Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, but the project will have to coalesce more before we know for sure. Do you think Bill Murray has the right idea? Or is there someone else you'd rather see on a female-led Ghostbusters team?

Source: <a href=http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/tiff/2014/09/07/tiff_bill_murray_scares_up_female_ghostbusters_cast_suggestions.html>The Star

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I want Scarlett Johansson as a Ghostbuster. She's had some comedy roles and they've been fantastic. Go watch Scoop to see how ridiculous she can be.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I've been on the Pohler/Fey/McCarthy/Wiig train for a Ghostbusters movie ever since they announce a possible twist. The only addition I'd make would be Mindy Kahling, I think you could do like they made Tully an honorary member for the second movie.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I would totally go to see this. We all know they're going to reboot Ghostbusters anyway and this would be a great way to do it.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
But Ghostbusters is a very specific kind of smart/sarcastic humor. I feel like Melissa McCarthy is like the dumbest humor I've seen...definitely not Ghostbusters style. At least Tina Fey and Amy Poehler make some sense for the roles.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I still think it'd be more progressive if they had a mixture of male and female Ghostbusters. You know, men and women working together as equals. Esp. if one of the women was the new Egon. As for casting, I'm not familiar with any of the actresses/comedians named so I don't know whether they'd be good or not.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
But Ghostbusters is a very specific kind of smart/sarcastic humor. I feel like Melissa McCarthy is like the dumbest humor I've seen...definitely not Ghostbusters style. At least Tina Fey and Amy Poehler make some sense for the roles.
Agreed, she can still make me laugh from time to time but it really isnt Ghostbuster material.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Sleekit said:
what's the set up here ? kids ? or some kind of reboot or what ?
Rather simple, really.
After the success of the original Ghost Busters team, they do what any business would do and start franchising. Somewhere in, say, FLorida or California, a new team starts up. After a five minute cameo and paycheck from one of the originals, the new team has their own wacky adventures.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Oh no... not Melissa McCarthy, please NO!!!!! Sorry, but I find her usual shtick to be VERY obnoxious. And I'm not seeing Kristin Wiig pulling off the Ghostbusters vibe either.

Damn, Bill, think outside the box. Is this going to be a *guffaw/snort* movie, or will it be as smart, snarky, and subversively comical as the original? I haven't seen McCarthy or Wiig do anything approaching the latter.

So how about Kathy Bates? She'd give the original cast a run for their money.

Christina Ricci can pull off snarky comedy like few others.

I have little doubt that Emma Watson would not only pull crowds, but would greatly enhance the entire film.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!

That's all I'm askin' for...

Mar 26, 2008
I'm going to wave my Aussie flag and say what about either Rose Byrne or Rebel Wilson? Or would it be a New York love-in like the other GhostBusters movies. Other than that Pohler/Fey/McCarthy/Wiig sounds great.

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
My personal fancasting would also include Kristen Wiig and Emma Stone but for the other members I'd go with Rashida Jones and Jane Lynch.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Was the question: what is a list of the most annoying females in comedy today?
Because Bill nailed it.

My money says Zoe Saldana will be cast.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I bet Amy Poehler and Tina Fey could make me laugh watching them read the phone book.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only who doesn't find Mellisa McCarthy funny at all.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
For a good funny time with a female actor who has experience with science fiction, I vote Catherine Tate.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Oh no... not Melissa McCarthy, please NO!!!!! Sorry, but I find her usual shtick to be VERY obnoxious. And I'm not seeing Kristin Wiig pulling off the Ghostbusters vibe either.

Damn, Bill, think outside the box. Is this going to be a *guffaw/snort* movie, or will it be as smart, snarky, and subversively comical as the original? I haven't seen McCarthy or Wiig do anything approaching the latter.

So how about Kathy Bates? She'd give the original cast a run for their money.

Christina Ricci can pull off snarky comedy like few others.

I have little doubt that Emma Watson would not only pull crowds, but would greatly enhance the entire film.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!

That's all I'm askin' for...
I still adhere to the fact that the gender swapping of the Ghostbusters is not in any way witty, will not be nearly as funny, and will only serve to... derail...

sigh...

no, I take it all back, Christina Ricci is a great call, Ten Foot Bunny, and would be great as a Ghostbuster.

!

I can't believe I, as a misogynist, am actually thinking this might end up being worth watching, and genuinely funny... I guess people can change, after all.

Or at least listen to reason.

EDIT: Just in case anyone was concerned, my remark about misogyny was just self-deprecating, meant as humor, and nothing more than that.