Billboard Announces Resistance 3 Very, Very Early

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Billboard Announces Resistance 3 Very, Very Early

Of all the ways a game can be announced, giant billboard is probably the least subtle.

Picture the scene, you're in Shreveport, Lousiana and you see the pictured billboard. You're a little surprised to see an ad for Resistance 2, considering the game was released last year, but then you look again. Wait a second, Resistance ... 3?

It transpires that Shreveport is a town often used in movies and the billboard is to be incorporated into Battle: Los Angeles [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217613/], which is slated for release in 2011. While it's interesting to see how much in advance Sony plan their marketing spending, possibly the biggest surprise is the it's going to take Insomniac such a long time to make the game.

From what we can glean from the billboard, the game is apparently going to be set in New York and is coming out at some point in 2011.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/11/resistance-3-billboard-appears-way-ahead-of-its-time/]

BladeOfAkriloth

Jun 30, 2009
This is..... was sony drunk again? I... i don't even get it, is it supposed to be a joke, a marketing stunt or what, cause for God's sake i won't take the "twas a mistake" bullshit sauce... dude....

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
It's funny how one sign can say both so much and so little at the same time. Oh well, it's not as if we didn't know this one was coming anyway. All I can do is hope Resistance eventually gets a 360 port that doesn't suck. *crosses fingers*

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That's some awesome marketing by Sony. Very forward thinking and probably the most normal advert they've ever run.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The_Oracle said:
It's funny how one sign can say both so much and so little at the same time. Oh well, it's not as if we didn't know this one was coming anyway. All I can do is hope Resistance eventually gets a 360 port that doesn't suck. *crosses fingers*
*bubble bursting*

Sony owns the Resistance franchise, Insomniac makes it, and I believe that Sony owns Insomniac. 2nd Party n' all. Don't count on it.

OT: ....well shit, that's pretty neat. Wonder if the billboards been taken down by now.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Will this one be finished? There were moments in two (especially that Leviathan) that struck me as the dev team really not trying. Why can't I look down and see the ground for instance?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Jumplion said:
The_Oracle said:
*bubble bursting*

Sony owns the Resistance franchise, Insomniac makes it, and I believe that Sony owns Insomniac. 2nd Party n' all. Don't count on it.

OT: ....well shit, that's pretty neat. Wonder if the billboards been taken down by now.
We also thought that MGS4 would never make it to the 360 and the same for FFXIII, but the former's been rumored and the latter confirmed. I'd rather have some hope than none at all. :)

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Wooh, some more brown/grey city streets and bases/ships to wander through. Wake me up when we reinvent colour.

Though, it's pretty strange that they threw up a billboard without having a website/trailer/teaser or anything beforehand. A case of subtle advertising, epic trolling or simply miscommunicated instructions?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Amnestic said:
That's some awesome marketing by Sony. Very forward thinking and probably the most normal advert they've ever run.
It does say something about Sony when a "normal" ad consists of putting a billboard in a town that will be used in place of New York City because a movie that will be released closer to the game's actuall release date is going to be filmed there.

I'd like to say that there's some irony in this whole thing, but to quote a robot, "that's not ironic, that's just really complicated!"

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The_Oracle said:
Jumplion said:
The_Oracle said:
*bubble bursting*

We also thought that MGS4 would never make it to the 360 and the same for FFXIII, but the former's been rumored and the latter confirmed. I'd rather have some hope than none at all. :)
Oh god, don't get me started on the whole "MGS4 ON 360!@#$! MGS4 ON 360!#!#" crap >_<. Why MGS4 anyway, why not just any general MGS!?! You've got "MGS:Rising" with Raiden in it, what more do you want?!

There's a major difference between 3rd party exclusive and 2nd party exclusive. Hope all you want, it 'ain't coming to 360 unless Insomniac want their asses sued by Sony.

It's just really annoying whenever I see someone go "I hope [insert PS3 exclusive here] goes to 360!" when A)Most of the time it's owned by Sony and B)I rarely, if ever, see any PS3 owner beg for any 360 exclusive. It seems that ever since FFXIII was announced for 360, everyone just expects PS3 exclusives to jump the multiplatform gun.

If you want a PS3 game, buy a PS3, simple as that. Don't go "I so ever so hope for it to jolly its way to 360!", just get a damn PS3 if you want it that badly. Don't expect everything to suddenly go multiplatform just because one pretty big franchise did so (and that's only one FFXIII, the game is still exclusive in Japan for PS3 and Versus is still said to be PS3 exclusive).

Sorry if I'm sounding a little aggressive, but it just annoys me whenever I see someone go around saying "I hope [blah blah blah] goes to 360!" when it's just like Halo or Gears of War going to PS3. They're owned by the company, don't bother.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
When I eventually get a PS3, I'm gonna be sooooo confused when I choose what FPS to get. There's Killzone 2, the Resistance games, the Call of Duty games, and M.A.G.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
Joshimodo said:
Wooh, some more brown/grey city streets and bases/ships to wander through. Wake me up when we reinvent colour.
You didn't play Resistance 2 did you? If anything, that game had too much colour coming after Resistance 1, leaving a big part of the original community feeling R2 was 'cartoony'. I somewhat agree with them. The game just seemed to scream "LOOK AT OUR ORANGE! CAN YOU SEE IT YET?!"

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Hmmm...I have no comment,

I mean, I have no idea what R3 will be like, and I have no idea why they advertised it.

Massive cockup? No, how did they get the billboard MADE if it was an accident?
I'd love it to be the world's greatest Fan Fake ala "TF2 Engineer Update" style

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Jumplion said:
The_Oracle said:
*bubble bursting*

Actually, Insomniac is still a third party developer. But it is true though that Sony owns the Resistance franchise.