Billy Bob Blames Games for the Sorry State of Hollywood

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
The Rascal King said:
zombie711 said:
The Rascal King said:
Listen to him, he had sex with Angelina Jolie. Listen to him.

Angelina Jolie, dammit.
what, you mean like in a movie?
Nah, they were married. I'm sorry, don't go rushing to Netflix at light-speed.
please I already own the special edition of Wanted

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee billy bob , if you and other actors quit while your ahead it would be great ,same goes for the game industry
but hollywood cranks out lots of crap too , so shut up already

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Doxcology said:
Ever since I saw this I've decided he's a washed up hack who's just angry at the world. He also insulted Canadians so he can go to hell for that too.
Well said sir! As if the fact that they usually play at places where people throw things and fight one another is admirable.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
I blame Billy Bob for the sorry state of video games. Obviously I have no evidence to back that up. But then neither does he.

So according to the evidence, Billy Bob needs to make an awesome FPS (i.e one that I'd play) to prove his point. Also he needs to send me some money - I believe I've presented a strong enough argument for that.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I'd say it's the other way around: It's Hollywood's fault that the gaming industry is in such a sorry state.

EDIT: ...aaaand I see that I am not the first to make this clever little observation.

Spectre4802

Oct 23, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I'm inclined to agree that the attention span of mainstream entertainment consumers isn't what it used to be, but I think Billy Bob is making the same mistake that a great many other people have: confusing the medium with the message. It's the equivalent of watching Freddy vs. Jason [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329101/] and declaring that the film industry is all about, well, "people killing for fun." Hollywood may be a crap factory, but that's Hollywood's problem.
Agreed, seconded, +1, right on the money... etc.

EDIT
The guys name is Billy Bob for gods sake. I just can't take him seriously.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Diligent said:
Just watch this interview with Billy Bob if you haven't already, and tell me you can take anything that comes out of his mouth remotely seriously.
He was surely doing that on purpose.

No one can be that much of a twat naturally.
He was. Context: Thornton went on Q, a nationwide entertainment/culture/issues radio program here in Canada, to promote his band, The Boxmasters. Thornton apparently told the producers he didn't want his acting career brought up because he was there to promote the band. Q host Jian Ghomeshi, who always recites extended biographies of his guests before interviewing them, briefly mentioned that Thornton was an actor and Oscar-winning screenwriter, so Thornton decided to act like an obstructionist dick for the rest of the interview, insulting Canadians in general at the same time. Which, even if he was justifiably upset at Ghomeshi or the CBC, it's a total dick move to blame the whole country for it. Ghomeshi finally calls him out on it in the middle. A textbook illustration of spoiled, egotistic celebrity behaviour.

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
zombie711 said:
The Rascal King said:

Angelina Jolie, dammit.
what, you mean like in a movie?
They were married, or at least dating. They were a creepy couple, but apparently very rabbit-like.

I like Billy Bob, but he is just mad at his son about something and has decided to misdirect it at the video game industry.

Either that or MST3K owes all those award-winning classics they mocked an apology immediately.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
"We're living in a time when we're making - in my humble opinion - the worst movies in history," --well, at least he's being honest with himself :p

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Billy Bob Thorton, that's a fascinating correlation to make.

But, uh...
Considering that most of the now-adult "videogame generation" (gamers) actually comprised a small percentage of that generation's total population (remember, it wasn't hip to be a gamer until around 2000)...I doubt most of us have gone into movie-making, and even fewer of us have any real say in what drives the movie market.

So yeah. I debunked your comment in about 10 seconds Mr. Thorton.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Perhaps he's bitter that he's not having sex with "Lara Croft" anymore...?

Okay, seriously, there have been bad movies for a long time, and there have been movies that have been lacking an attention span for a long time, and there have been movies with little to no respect for the intelligence of their audience for a long time. If one really thinks that movies have suddenly become especially lacking, and one is in a position of some respect in the Hollywood community, one's responsibility then is to make a better movie, not to trawl shallow for a scapegoat.

Welcome to the "those damn kids" age demographic, Thorton.

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
Imp Poster said:
The Rascal King said:

Angelina Jolie, dammit.
And he did Halle Berry(on screen), doggie style even. His ego is definitely, blinding.
What movie did that happen in?

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Diligent said:
Just watch this interview with Billy Bob if you haven't already, and tell me you can take anything that comes out of his mouth remotely seriously.
He probably explains this by saying he played call of duty all day and melted his brain. In all seriousness this host seems like a really genuine and professional guy, with a truly passionate intro to the band and then thornton treats him like shit. What a fucking dickhead.

EDIT: Oh god, I just watched further and it got worse. This guy is a massive fucking knob-end. Why don't the other members of the band just say something to him? Like "Stop being a fuckhead." It really worries me that someone can be so far up their own ass and no one will tell him "Hey man, you're a fucking dickhead."

Kudos to the host for being such a nice guy. Fuck Billy Bob in the eye.

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
One of Many said:
Imp Poster said:
The Rascal King said:

Angelina Jolie, dammit.
And he did Halle Berry(on screen), doggie style even. His ego is definitely, blinding.
What movie did that happen in?
What?! All Halle Berry fans know this. She got an Oscar, Bob got ego.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285742/