Bionic Commando Rated "M" Because of RE5

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
I wonder if this is more puzzling than Twilight Princes' teen rating. But I guess this is more of a retarded bureaucratic move. Good job ESRB!

hagaya

Sep 1, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I've been thinking this for awhile, ever since I learned that Halo is M rated...

Why?

I've never really noticed any swearing... sure there are some monsters but it's no worse than Star Wars...

Don't get it...
Halo has "gore" yet gore is the Gears of War thing; the detatched limbs and open organs, not a texture map of red (or purple) splatter on the ground. Halo doesn't have a "strong" amount of lanugage, either. The occasional "damn" or "bastard" but it deserves a big T.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Thank god I'm 20 and don't have to worry about this kind of stuff. (just underage drinking)

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
scotth266 said:
B Even cartoony stuff from the old Crash Bandicoot games wouldn't get an E rating in today's climate.
Of course Crash is M, It shows the slaughter of hundreds of Animals! And that mask scared an Amish kid at some point, Maybe it sohuld be R-18!

(BTW for the slow, ^sarcasm)

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
At this point we can't add another rating into the system.

Trust me, one of the major problems with content control is that most parents don't understand the current rating system. Adding a new rating would only confuse them further and just make things worse for video games overall.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
KDR_11k said:
Meh, if it involves killing realistic humans an M rating is appropriate IMO.
I never got why killing people in a game was such a big deal.
You're not gonna BRUTALLY TRAUMATIZE a kid if you let him shoot someone in Fallout 3 and the person explodes.
He'll probably laugh for a minute and then wander off to puke on something, as kids are wont to do.
Not everybody wants to try out what effect violent games have on his kid. It might traumatize very little kids, make slightly older kids want to imitate it and the 12 year olds are going to love it by claiming they're adults if they love excessive violence. Besides, it's not like the US rating system is binding anyway, if you feel that your children should be allowed to play Manhunt at the age of 6 go ahead and buy it for them.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I don't know why. It's crazy how many games get an M rating that don't deserve it. Honestly, saying that Mass Effect is on the same level as Left 4 Dead or even saying that Team Fortress 2 is as bad as Manhunt, than something is seriously messed up. How about instead of having a rating system similar to movies, it's a scale going from one to ten in levels of offensive content. Like, 3 would be like The Sims, 6 would be games like Bionic Commando or Halo 3, 8 or 9 would be games like Gears of War. That seems much more accurate because now it's like an extremely vague term saying kids game or adult game.

HillDragon

Apr 16, 2009
I think the point of the 'M' is that if you're old enough to buy it you're old enough to decide for your self. Broad is a silly term for a rating system... what percentage of of your life span falls into the 'M' category? A third maybe? I'm 'Mature' enough to know if Saw or any of it's sequels is worth watching And if the senseless killing in Crash Bandicoot is to much for me.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
The one thing we have to ask ourselves here is 'who comes up with these ratings?'.

It is more than likely a small collection of middle aged business men with a broom handle up their ass about games (due to all the moral panics they've had), with this in mind do you think that these individual's opinions are at all reflective of what is appropriate for the rest of us? (because suit and tie wearing geezers are completely in touch with what 12,15 and 18 year olds all think)

I guarentee you that we will look back at some of these games and think 'now why the hell was that considered an 18?', just look at some games in the past for this. Would you call DOOM or Alien Trilogy an 18 now? What about Mortal Kombat? Alien 3 on the Megadrive or Splatterhouse? (actually...I would still call Splatterhouse an 18 in all honesty).

Jackson - Deathclaw

Feb 21, 2009
Scubamike1978 said:
In New Zealand we have more options in classifying games (Not like Australia which can't classify anything higher than 'M' and therefore doesn't get the really hardcore stuff). The ratings also have a few lines of text for why a particular game has a particular rating.
actually we do have MA(15+) for games over here we just don't have R
which really sucks because it got Manhunt banned (eventually) which really much of a problem, but it almost got San Andreas banned till they removed hot coffee, and almsot got Fallout 3 banned!

and the worst thing, 63% of our country doesn't even know we don't have an R rating

they've stopped under the belief that making an R-rating for games makes it easier for innapropriate games to get into the hands of minors, can anyone else follow that reasoning

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Ok, Mass Effect. It's rated 12 by the BBFC (the people who also classify film ratings) but it's rated 18+ by PEGI (the people who only classify games). Why the huge difference? Had they been closer together ok, but if one classification board thinks that 12 year olds can play it, why does another think that you need to be able to vote before you touch the controller?

They need to come up with a more unified rating system.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Probably get a 15+ rating by PEGI here. If we're lucky, but the people who hand out ratings tend to take them too seriously,and the people who hand out the games don't take them seriously at all.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
The ESRB should just make a 15+/16+ rating for games that have swearing and violence, but not to Gears of war standards.

Barky13

Apr 7, 2009
This is why I'm glad I live in Britain. The BBFC gets it right
Mass Effect, 12, Contains moderate violence and one moderate sex scene.

PEGI on the other hand...
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, 7+, Violence

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Anything with any sexual content, in cluding sexual inuendo, should be automatically given the most adult rating. Its 100% innapropriate for any child to ever learn about sex. That's disgusting and morally reprehensible. If Jesus wanted kids to know about sex the bible would talk about it. This may seem harsh but I'm just trying to save their tiny souls from FIERY DAMNATION! Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go do some crystal meth and have sex with a homosexual prostitute.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
Well I'm not so sure about the UK rating system, it is as wild and unfettled as the US rating system. I'm looking at my latest line up of PS3 games bought during the Christmas period and some of them have absurd ratings. One that jumps out particularly is Guitar Hero III, its rated as (12)... -_-
To be quite honest the songs have been edited so much for the game anyway they completely omitted swearing and any violent references, so why may I ask has the game somehow warranted a (12) rating?
According to the back of the box it: "Contains infrequent moderate sex references"
Where may I ask is that in game? It is a guitar playing themed colour matching game, where could they possibly fit in references to sex?

In fact digging through some of my older PS2 games I find that the ratings are actually more accurate as you move further and further back. Take the original prince of persia series for an example the first is rated by the "pegi" as 12+, fair enough. Then warrior within is rated as a 16+, which is actually fair enough too since the gore was ramped up with decapitations and slicing monsters in half etc. Then I look at the The Two Thrones, which cut down the gore, blood replaced with sand, just is in the first one, no more decapitations or slicings in half, but despite all that it ended up with a 16+ rating... I feel this is actually quite unwarranted since the gore was mostly removed and the little amount of blood present in the game can actually be turned off....

It just seems as time has gone on the ratings systems has become scewed as to what warrants a (15) or (18) BBFC rating these days. In the past games were rated under the pegi rating system, but they all seem to be passed over to the BBFC rating system because they are deemed unratable by the pegi standards.