BioShock 2 Special Edition Floats Ashore

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BioShock 2 Special Edition Floats Ashore

If BioShock had a special edition, you know BioShock 2 had to follow suit.

BioShock 2 is the latest game to show off what it'll be putting in a giant box for a premium price, with 2k Games recently announcing its special edition. Knowing that videogame collector's editions can pay off in spades [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96178-Collectors-Editions-Can-Pay-Off-in-Spades], I am seriously surprised at this point when a high-profile game actually doesn't offer one.

The BioShock 2 special edition will come in a 13'' x 13'' box, which from the picture provided also appears to have a creepy Silence of the Lambs butterfly on it, and will retail for $99.99 on the Xbox 360/PS3 and $89.99 for the PC. For the $40 premium, purchasers will acquire a vinyl 180g LP (yes, a record) that has the original BioShock score on it, a CD with BioShock 2's soundtrack, a big-ass 164 page 8"x11" art book, three rolled posters featuring vintage ads that you'd find inside Rapture (BioShock's underwater city), and even a copy of BioShock 2.

Posters are often sorely lacking from special editions, and I would be proud to put vintage ads from Rapture on my walls. The vinyl soundtrack of BioShock is a creative idea too. $40 is a pretty big price hike though, so 2k Games may be pricing it a bit out of the general public's special edition price range, or at least out of mine.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
A record? Ooh, how interesting.

I'd love it for the posters and the big-ass art book, but unfortunately $40's too much of a price hike for me.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I'm not entirely sure what to say about the Vinyl record, so i'll just post what me and a friend said about it over MSN:

][+][ Mr.G ][+][ ಠ_ಠ ][ says:
Bioshock 2's special edition comes with a vinyl record with the soundtrack on it
Gary says:
wow
that's simultaneously fucking awesome
and totally useless
what percentage of that games demographic has the ability to actually PLAY a vinyl record?
][+][ Mr.G ][+][ ಠ_ಠ ][ says:
it'll be the most impressive coaster you'll ever own at least.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Nice, exspensive but worth it.
Posters are awesome but the 164 PAGE ART BOOK?
Now were talking.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Posters are great, I just hope some of them are bigger than A4.

As for the record... Uh... I hope they have a CD option because, last I checked, most people can't play vinyl any more.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wow! And the game, too! Well, I'll likely skip on this special edition, since its just art, posters, and soundtracks in a pretty box...
I like stuff like figurines and the Fallout lunchbox.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
I am seriously surprised at this point when a high-profile game actually doesn't offer one.
Which of course leads to the following question: Why is this even a piece of news? Saying that a hyped game will have a collector's edition is like saying that it will come in a special package and will be more expensive. It's OK to know what it will contain, but I think it spoils the surprise a bit. And once again they are filled with useless junk, rather than some seriously good things. The only good Collector's Edition that I can remember is Neverwinter Nights 2 because it contained the original Neverwinter Nights inside.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Hmm, I could do with some more posters, and I don't have any Vinyls.

Might get it, depending on how I feel when it comes out.

AWC Viper

Jun 12, 2008
YAY i can finally use my record player!

suck it people without one! no more "haha you still have a record player" from my nan.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Awesome, though it means I'll have to actually hook my record-deck back up... [sub]and find the money to actually buy the special edition.[/sub]

Edit: also, does anyone know is this is US only? Or will it be coming to the UK?

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I want this.Then i can finally start my record collection.Because i have a record player.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Holy crap holy crap holy crap holy crap holy crap. If I can get this CE in Europe I would die of happiness. I mean, an LP is just the pinnacle of class. I'm sure I can dig a record player out from somewhere among a grandparent's storage box, too. Not only that, but it only costs sixty euros converted from ninety dollars. But even if it is sold here, I'm sure Europeans will get charged 90 euros for it nevertheless.

But will it be pre-order exclusive for sure?

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
and even a copy of BioShock 2.
No way!

OT: "This is the best special edition ever", the fanboy cried out in joy.
But no Big Daddy Figurine?
Damn you
Fuck the figurine. I want a full big daddy suit with working drill and voicebox.
(and one of those creepy little sisters, to clean up after me, and scare away unwanted visitors)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im torn, on one hand I love my some special editions and an art book is really nice but on the other for how much more expensive this is, it just doesnt seem worth it to me