BioShock Development Could Switch Studios

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

With 2K Marin busy on the new XCom, publisher Take-Two could hand the BioShock license off to another one of its studios.

The original BioShock 2 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=61768] was developed by 2K Marin (in cooperation with 2K Australia). And a hypothetical third installment in the series could be developed by ... okay, that one isn't quite so clear. According to Take-Two big boss Strauss Zelnick, however, the possibility that the franchise could switch studios a third time remains very real.

The news broke during Take-Two's 2010 second quarter financial call, when an analyst asked if 2K Marin's work on XCom would prevent it from returning to Rapture. "We think BioShock is still one of the most important franchises in the industry," answered Zelnick. "We do intend to support it; doesn't necessarily have to be at 2K Marin, but we do intend to support the franchise."

This doesn't necessarily imply that we'll be getting BioShock 3 anytime soon - Zelnick noted that Take-Two intended to continue supporting BioShock 2 with DLC above all else - but it's an interesting thought, isn't it?

Take-Two doesn't have quite as wide an umbrella of studios as rivals Activision or EA, but there are certainly more than a few noteworthy developers beneath its branches, namely the Rockstar studios and Civilization developer Firaxis. I'm not exactly sure how you'd do an open-world Grand Theft Rapture or Sid Meier's BioCiv, but it'd be kind of cool, wouldn't it?

(IGN [http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1095651p1.html])

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I think they should just leave BioShock now, i can't think of much they can do with Rapture now. It's just gonna be the same old thing. Plus, what the hell? Switching studio's for a third time?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I'm never a fan of development changing hands for games (except in the case of Fallout: New Vegas), always changes the atmosphere of the game, or misses some major points. We shall see, however, how this pans out... I still need to finish up bioshock 2.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Grand Theft Rapture...I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!! Stealing whales to ride between areas...big daddy's outside...Hooker Splicers to bang and then Chainsaw!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
As long as they do not butcher it...I dont mind who does it

But, could we not try a re-male of System Shock? At all?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Flamezdudes said:
I think they should just leave BioShock now, i can't think of much they can do with Rapture now. It's just gonna be the same old thing. Plus, what the hell? Switching studio's for a third time?
I can imagine Rapture will be destroyed entirely. I don't know how or why but that's the only way I can imagine the series ending

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Hay, they can pull character and plot points out off their @$$ bring a fresh story that takes the old story and cuts it in hopes of getting a plot thread answers what hasn't been answered with a new stiched together innovative multiplayer and the ability to play as a gun turret little sister big sister a police bot VENDING MACHINE!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
God forbid it being Activision for we all know what kind of fucking idiots they are.
Seeing as Take Two has the rights, I can't see why Activision, a rival of Take Two, would be involved in this at all. Your fears are unfounded, my good sir.

As for this...I actually wouldn't mind it switching devs again. Keeps things fresh.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
please no more bioshock
we don't NEED another bio-shock
we need NEW concepts, not rehashing the old ones over and over again
sequals that aren't designed as a continuation of the story, but rather just another story in the same settings is just pointless
as bioshock 2 has shown

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Clive Barker's Bioshock!

Or, give it to Peter Molyneux. I'm not sure which of the two would have a bigger ego.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
The Rockerfly said:
Flamezdudes said:
I can imagine Rapture will be destroyed entirely. I don't know how or why but that's the only way I can imagine the series ending
This. The only thing I really want to know is how Rapture ends, and they could make a really cool game out of that. One last game, and a hectic race to destroy Rapture before the splicers are allowed to come to the surface.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I was really hoping that the xcom game would be shuttered, making it a fucken fps game, Ill be surprised as hell if it turns out good

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
John Funk said:

With 2K Marin busy on the new XCom, publisher Take-Two could hand the BioShock license off to another one of its studios.

The original BioShock was developed by Irrational Games - then known as 2K Boston. BioShock 2 was developed by 2K Marin (in cooperation with 2K Australia). And a hypothetical third installment in the series could be developed by ... okay, that one isn't quite so clear. According to Take-Two big boss Strauss Zelnick, however, the possibility that the franchise could switch studios a third time remains very real.

Take-Two doesn't have quite as wide an umbrella of studios as rivals Activision or EA, but there are certainly more than a few noteworthy developers beneath its branches, namely the Rockstar studios and Civilization developer Firaxis. I'm not exactly sure how you'd do an open-world Grand Theft Rapture or Sid Meier's BioCiv, but it'd be kind of cool, wouldn't it?
So? What's wrong with that. I, for one, can't see how they can go back to rapture. And if they don't, how they can still keep the creepy atmosphere outside the bathysphere. If they do decide to make it an oversea epic, all the cool factor of the city will have to be remove and change for a same era world. The only thing i would look forward is if we play as Eleanor... which would be a nice change from a faceless dude.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Clive Barker's Bioshock!

Or, give it to Peter Molyneux. I'm not sure which of the two would have a bigger ego.
You'll have to choose either Molyneux's little boy adams seekers and to gain weapon, a minigame to gain the material and making the weapon. Also, you can bought most of rapture.

Or Clive Barkers' vision of Splicers being turn into grotesque form in leather. All of the color drain. Tonic and Plasmid bought from creepy angelic Little Sisters and a fight with Satan at the end. The end of time, that is.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
yanipheonu said:
This. The only thing I really want to know is how Rapture ends, and they could make a really cool game out of that. One last game, and a hectic race to destroy Rapture before the splicers are allowed to come to the surface.
The splicers couldn't live on the surface they need a constant flow of adam because otherwise their cells just fall apart. At least I think, I haven't played the second one yet